PDA

View Full Version : stereo wiring harness

otis_b
27-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I am replacing the standard audi concert head unit in my A4.

What kind of wiring harness do i need to buy to attach my new head unit?

********* say it needs to be an active harness, is that correct?

Regards

Otis

adamss24
27-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Only if your car has the Bose fully amplified sound system. If your speakers are the ordinary factory ones, then the new stereo should have the female DIN plugs on the harness suplied in the box. One thing to pay atention to is to the RED and YELLOW bullet conectors. I mean, if the stereo does not hold the preset memory, switch the RED and Yellow terminals between them(Red to yellow and yellow to red !) Hope this helps. If your car has the Bose speaker system, then you will need an Autoleads active interface. Search Ebay for one, will set you back 40-50 pounds. Again, just plug and play. Remember to conect the Blue/White remote wire to the blue/white remote turn on lead on the stereo as well, otherwise, the amplifier wont turn on and there will be no output at the speakers ! Hope this helps.

andysuth
30-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone any ideas how to get the stereo out? the garage I bought my car from in Mexford, sheffield rather kindly kept hold of the locking nuts for my wheels and the stereo removal hooks.

-AS

adamss24
30-08-2007, 06:07 PM
On the bottom off the fascia there are 2 flat holes, there's where you insert the keys and then it should free itself.

andysuth
31-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Trouble is, there's no keys. Dealers in Sheffield nicked them.

Can you thown yours on a scanner next to a ruler, and send me a jpeg?

-AS

bora(ing) nick
31-08-2007, 09:27 AM
You'll find a set on ebay.... just do a search for A4 stereo keys

or click http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Concert-Chorus-Stereo-Release-Removal-Tools-Keys_W0QQitemZ110164629959QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1498Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ;)

Nick

Eshrules
31-08-2007, 10:11 AM
go with nick's suggestion or try a wire coat hanger, i've used these many times when i cant find removal keys :Blush2:

on a seperate note, complain to the supplying dealer and get them to sort it, you're going to have trouble getting your wheels off without the locking wheel nut

andysuth
31-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Boraing Nick, if that was your ebay shop, you'll notice my purchase of one of your seven sets of keys.

Cheers for that, now I can change some lights in my dash (so I'm told).

I'm one of these poor people who only have fan control not air conditioning and the bulb has been blown since I got the car so I'm going to change it for LEDs.

As to the Lock Nut issue, they claim never to have had it, even though one of the conditions of sale was that they put a new tyre on the vehicle where it was worn below legal, which they did. They claim that was "Only possible because they used a lock nut key off a different vehicle", but as Audi Main Dealers here in L'Pool said there are over 32 different types for Audis, so it's unlikely they did that. I ended up buying a new locking nut adaptor from Audi at a grand cost of £12.

Other issues I have with the vehicle include the drivers seat being spot welded together on the frame -which broke in a dangerous way just as I pulled over realising something was wrong - they deny knowledge of the welding. I ended up down the scrap yard getting a new frame and replacing (just the frame) on mine to make it safe. To add insult to injury I also found it failed the MOT due to the tyre they replaced (with mystery locking nut key) was R60 whereas both Spare and offside where R65.

Bloody idiots. I'd think twice before buying a car from Mexford, nr Sheffield.

-AS

bora(ing) nick
31-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Boraing Nick, if that was your ebay shop, you'll notice my purchase of one of your seven sets of keys.

Cheers for that,

Hya mate, not my shop, but your welcome anyway. :beerchug:

Hope you get yourself sorted....

Nick

andysuth
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I've successfully got the stereo out, and I've been looking at the wiring diagram on the metal case (Concert, A4, 1.9tdi, 1998).

I'd love to know which connections are the "Line In" so I could put my MP3 Player in the car without the tape converter I use.

I'm assuming A4 Concert, which has facilities for a CD Changer would have the information delivered as music, rather than raw data from the CD changer in the boot, as the latter would require many redundant facilities in the head unit.

Can anyone decypher these codes, I'm pretty sure I know what "Speaker Symbol" and "LF/RF/LR/RR" mean, it's the others I'm not sure about.

I have also taken a picture of the cables at the back so if someone has a CD changer in an A4 and can take a picture it would be much appreciated.

-AS