PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 tdi estate B7

shuggie
19-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi troops, Thinking of going back to ye old VW again, can anyone tell me if the 1.6 tdi is big enough engine for the size and weight of the car, or would it be better to go for the 2.0 model, cheers

-M-
20-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Hi troops, Thinking of going back to ye old VW again, can anyone tell me if the 1.6 tdi is big enough engine for the size and weight of the car, or would it be better to go for the 2.0 model, cheers

If you have to go diesel than the 2.0 litre is the one to go for. The 1.6 CR TDi is underpowered and is purely for economy, in a passat wagon it will struggle to go uphill quickly.

Have you considered the Alltrack ?

shuggie
20-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, to be honest not even thought about the Alltrack, will have a look at that mate nice one cheers, but have to agree with you on the 1.6 for the size of the car I think the engine is under powered.

Europa25
22-04-2013, 12:06 AM
I have recently gone from a 2.0TDi to the 1.6TDi unit (saloon).

To be honest, I find it a very willing powerplant, though the gear spacing takes some getting used to!
It readily climbs Reigate hill (on the M25) at 75mph without asking much of it, and is very quiet.

My MPG returns are often in excess of 50MPG around town and 65MPG upwards on the motorway. £30/yr road tax is a bonus too.

I'd test drive it first. You may be surprised!

If you're going to fully load it all the time, may be the 2.0 is better for you, but with 4 adults , I find the 1.6 very willing and more than enough power. I would definitely not describe it as 'underpowered' ! ;)

D4D
23-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Hi, when I test drove the passat I thought it was 'ok' and that my Volvo 2.0D had the edge over it, when I got back to the dealers the rep asked how I got on, so I told him. At that point he pointed out that the car he had loaned me was in fact the 1.6D and not the 2.0D I had asked for!.

In all honesty its not bad at all and if its economy you're after its definately the one you want. I still got the 2.0D though which has more mid range than my Volvo had and makes passing traffic pretty straight forward, looking at my expenses claims its averaged 49 mpg over 40k, which is 7mpg more than the volvo did over 65k :)

StuWarren
02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi, I was provided with a brand new 1.6 TDi Passat last March, and was somewhat concerned what the performance was going to be like. For about 3000 miles it was not that responsive, just about OK for rolling performance, but no more.

However, one early morning drivng to work (a 40 mile commute for me) the car passed 3000 miles and it suddenly felt like someone had changed the engine! The difference in performance and responsiveness was astonishing. Was there an in-built constraint for the first 3000 miles? I don't know, but the car became a different beast altogether!

I occasionally drive quite eagerly (there are some standing start dual carriageway opportunities) and more than once I had started alongside a 2.0TDI of the same model. The gain up to a speed I won't mention was about a car length advantage to the other guy, it was that close.

I had a 2.0 TDi twice for a weekend and this engine does offer a BIT more flexibility, but for all those complaining of sluggish performance, they must have tried either a low miler or one their instance wasn't run in particularly well.

I find the 1.6 that good (low Company Car tax) and very smooth that when I replace (I will be able to upgrade to a 2.0 TDI next) I think I'll stay with this engine and up the spec. :o

zollaf
02-05-2013, 07:20 PM
the 1.6 may be a good little engine, but it is running a lot of power for a small lump,mainly for various tax reasons. the french have done this and the engines do go 'bang' all too often. theres just too much strain on them, especially on the turbocharger.
i would stick to a bigger engine myself.