PDA

View Full Version : Creaking when cold

gregpot2000
18-04-2013, 06:11 PM
What sounds like my front driver side suspension creaks like mad at the moment. But only when cold, after a few miles down the motorway say, it goes completely quiet again and will stay like that to the end of my journey. It's almost like something softens up once warm. Does anyone have any ideas? Bushes? Are they expensive to change?
I tried taking it to the garage, but obviously by the time I had got it there it had stopped!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Guest 2
18-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I will be interested to see the outcome of this as my front passenger side suspension on my a3 creaks when going over the smallest of bumps.

The car was MOT'd in March and nothing related was picked up.

Sorry I couldn't help!

gregpot2000
18-04-2013, 06:25 PM
No worries! Mine is strange as well as doesn't seem to be particularly related to bumps! It does it sometimes with bumps. But sometimes I can drive over the worst pot holed road ever and hear nothing, then on the smoothest road after and it's creaking like mad! But only for roughly the first 15mins of driving!

fat controller
18-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Strut top mount maybe? I believe that some BMW's (particularly 5's) suffer from deterioration of the rubber bush at the top of the suspension strut, and the deterioration is caused by heat from the exhaust that passes near to the strut - as engine bays are so cramped now, its not beyond the realms of possibility that you have a similar deterioration and the heat from the engine is quietening it when its warms a bit?

gregpot2000
22-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your advice. I've got it booked it next week, going to drop it off night before so they can test drive first thing in the morning when it's cold. Ill update once I know more

Phil K
23-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Ours also does this and I asked Audi to look into it when they had it in for some other work back in March. They came back to say there is nothing wrong, no signs of failed or worn components and its all working as expected. The creaking has since stopped which I suppose coincides with the (slightly) warmer weather.

I hadn't connected it to the cold conditions but its a good point and might explain why Audi didn't find anything after keeping our car in their warm workshop over night.

Let us know how you get on and if you manage to find a solution - I expect we have the same issue with ours!

gregpot2000
23-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your reply. When I say cold I mean the car is cold. I did initially think the temperature was a factor, but since the weather has warmed up it has made no difference at all. A blast on the motorway for half an hour makes it silent though! The car has done 115k so guess it could benefit from a suspension refresh anyway. I will let you know what the garage say

gregpot2000
29-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Dropped my car off this evening for them to give it a drive first thing in the morning, but would you believe it, it's barely made a noise since Friday! This happens every time I think about getting it looked at, can just see what will happen tomorrow now, they will hear nothing and say it's fine, then the minute I get back in it it will start again!

fat controller
29-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Ah, sods law well and truly at play! Hope they get to the bottom of it for you :)

Boy
29-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Gregpot2000,
How could you miss out the only step in the transaction which will give satisfaction?
Presentation of the bill to you will be entirely satisfactory to the esteemed dealer.

gregpot2000
29-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Sorry? Lol

Guest 2
29-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Sorry? Lol

Me too, I'm :confused: !