PDA

View Full Version : Elegance estate - Less noise would be nice

ianjemmett
27-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks to all who replied to my previous post - Luvvin it - but! about the problems I was having changing gear.

Anyhow, as I indicated in the post, I was really impressed with my first Skoda ('99 Octavia SRI), which I bought cheaply as a stop gap measure so I solved the gearbchange problems last Thursday by trading it in for an '04 Elegance estate, 1.9TDi.

The only criticism I would make of the new car is that I think the level of noise in the cabin is a bit on the high side. Do other owners agree & has anyone done anything about it that's worked? Perhaps some extra soundproofing felt in the doors/tailgate etc.

Also, I notice the tyres are quite low profile. Do LP tyres generate more noise than less LP ones? If so, I'll change them as and when they wear (if it's OK to do that). I understand from a friend who deals in tyres that they give a less comfortable ride anyway because they have less wall area.

Apart from that - I'm luvvin this car too!

Ian

greg123
06-11-2007, 02:03 PM
NO issues with noice, it should be quiet. Either something is wrong or maybe tyres. Identify if tyre, wind or engine noise. They should be no worse than your mk1. Wider tyres generate more noise, you could always go back to 15's with 195's or narrower if you cna find some. Also change of tyre brand to one that's quiet will help. It just shouldn't be an issue.

ianjemmett
06-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I'll bear it in mind when we come to change the tyres.

Ian