PDA

View Full Version : bought approved used - evidence of accident repair..

apples12
13-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi all

my brother bought an approved used A6 avant 2.0tdi s-line with less than 4k on the clock at the end of february from Audi and we've had a multitude of problems...

the car was filthy despite promises it would be valeted on pickup day (gum in the door, no smoking sticker peeled off and left in the glovebox)

now, theres also a rattle in the drivers door and evidence of spray work on the rear quarter panel passenger side (the chrome trim is rough if you run your finger along the bottom trailing edge, and some paint actually flaked off, almost like it was overspray) this isnt present on the opposite side.

the car's done 2000 miles since we bought it, do we have any grounds to reject the car since finding these faults? its an 'OY' plate and the previous owner was audi

many thanks

belly buster
13-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Unlikely - but you may be able to get them to fix the rattle and improve the paint finish.

Wuffles
13-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Before anyone asks, it wasn't mine he bought, but this is my future nightmare.

daycartes
14-04-2013, 12:12 AM
This happened to me. I bought the car with 11000 miles on the clock and it was great. I spent a lot of time washing and polishing it. Then about a year after I bought it during one of my Sat morning washes I noticed that the rear wheel arch was beginning to rust. Not happy. Went back to Audi. The paint manager came out with me and I explained that with approx 16000 miles this should not be the case. He ummed and aahed and then opened the petrol filler. 'Aah its been resprayed' he said, sorry you're not covered. 'Well I should be I retorted'. 'Are you the original owner'. 'No', I replied 'the second'. 'Aah' he said 'the original owner could have had a bodge job done so we wouldn't cover it'. 'Aah' I replied 'so as Audi are the first owner are you telling me that they do a bodge job on their own cars'. Check mate.
I still had to fight and get hold of AUDI via their 699 number but I did win and they took it back and resprayed it again.
A year later I noticed it was rusting again. Again I went back. This time it was more difficult as they had sacked their paint workshop (BMW) for another, however they said that I needed to take it back to the BMW one which I did. A year later my wife left it outside a shop and a car came past and left a multicoloured scratch all along the rear bumper. I also noticed the wheel arch was rusting again, so back to the workshop. They offered to rectify the wheel arch again and then I said oh by the way, since I've had to come back 3 times do you think that you could repair the bumper for me for a modest amount, which they agreed to. I've now had the car for 9 years and although there are signs of deterioration in the wheel arch I do feel that they have done enough. But I did have to put my foot down to get anything done.
I did get my wife to thoroughly check the new car we've just bought, but as the old adage goes, once bitten twice shy and I keep checking it for mismatched paint, and as Wuffles says it is a potential nightmare scenario. They should tell you whether it's been in a serious accident though, I think that that is part of the check system.
You didn't say where your brother bought it from (Audi main dealer). They should be named and shamed for delivering the car in that state. Mine have always been presented completely polished.
I don't think that you could reject it as I believe that it is only with new cars that you are able to reject. The car is suitable for the purpose you bought it for so no luck on the Sale of Goods Act, however the paint work is guaranteed for, I think, ten years so you would be entitled to have that brought up to standard.

apples12
14-04-2013, 12:05 PM
It was an audi main dealership, wasn't sure of the etiquette of naming and shaming. lol

was Halesowen Audi

the other issues with the car are the bonnet and wing are not quite level on the front passenger drivers corner and theres condensation in the headlight, along with the rattle on that side makes me suspect something...

this with the rubbish job they did prepping the car for us despite the included 'interior and exterior paint protection' ******** they threw in, really not happy with the experience.

what is this 699 number?

Wuffles
14-04-2013, 12:11 PM
All sounds a bit naughty to me. You may have some kind of redress, depends on what you want. What are you aiming for?

retired99
14-04-2013, 12:47 PM
When you buy a second hand car from a dealer, you have the right, under the Sale of Goods Act, to expect the car to:

be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)

meet any description given to you when you were buying it ( whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)

be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely).

If the second hand car does not meet these requirements, you have a right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.

I'm no expert but if it's a fairly new low mileage car and is as you described you could argue that it is not of satisfactory quality and go for money back or swap for another car.

It might be worth a bit of effort to talk to local Trading Standards or Citizens's Advice Bureau for an informed view.

Wuffles
14-04-2013, 01:02 PM
All very good in theory. You have to take into account reasonable time and they have to try and repair it first, then it gets murky.

retired99
14-04-2013, 01:16 PM
All very good in theory. You have to take into account reasonable time and they have to try and repair it first, then it gets murky.

Very possibly true. But what's the alternative? Sit back and do nothing? Doesn't cost anything apart from a bit of effort to talk to TS or CAB and they might have something useful to say. Got to at least get some qualified advice and explore the options.

Wuffles
14-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Been through all of that and ended up in a rather large circle of nothing so far. I wish them all the best.

If it's a cash sale at least it's slightly less murky.

Guest 2
14-04-2013, 05:59 PM
what is this 699 number?

Audi Customer Services - 0800 699 888

retired99
14-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Audi Customer Services - 0800 699 888

By all means try to get some support from Audi Customer Services, but remember your contract is with the dealer who sold you the car. That dealer is the one to go after.

Wuffles
14-04-2013, 07:20 PM
You'd be very lucky to get any support at all from Audi Customer Services in mine and others' experience, you might find they put a little bit of pressure on the dealership though, which may help. The dealer is the one to go after certainly provided the car was bought from them without any finance.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world in this, I really do.

Passatier3
16-04-2013, 09:36 PM
One of the reasons for buying from a main dealer is to avoid this scenario which makes it even more disappointing.

If buying from a secondhand car dealer you have to have your wits about you and check the car over very carefully - you shouldn't have to do this with a main dealer and for this reason they should step up to the plate and sort the problems properly. I thought their used cars had to pass an extensive check list?