PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Help needed coroded front wings

manicmike
12-04-2013, 11:52 AM
I am the owner of a VW late 2002 Passat. Last year after having the car washed I had it brought to my notice that the paintwork to the top of both front wheel arches had bubbles under the paintwork. I had no opportunity to follow it up at the time.

Over the last winter the bubbles have expanded to a point where something has got to be done to rectify it.

I had wondered whether they could be saved but was advised that it was a waste of time once the rust has started you can't reverse it.
I received a couple of quotes for the work using pattern panels.

After a great deal of thought and being told that pattern panels sometimes don't fit correctly I decided to find out what genuine VW ones cost.
On the 14th of March I contacted the VW parts department and got a price of £156. Meantime I had been given the name of a reliable body repairer. I took my car to him and when he looked at it he said it was a common fault with VWs. After a bit of research I found that the problem stems from a foam pad fited between the wing and the wheel arch liner.

On the 15th March I emailed my local Sheffield dealer with the information. My email went to the general manager and I told him that I had found rust on the front wings and I believed they would be covered under the 12 year anti-corrosion guarantee and how should I go about it getting it repaired. He passed my message to the service manager who referred me to their Hillsborough bodyshop.

On15thMarch (pm) I phoned this number & spoke to Managerin the body-shop, he confirmed that the corrosion in this area was a known fault on Passat’s. He told me that up to March 2012 VAG were itemising these claims as customer goodwill and that they were asking owners for a 10% contribution towards the repair bill (in my case about £150. After March 2012 they stopped asking for this. He was unsure of the current policy. He told me to take the car to them any-time Weekdays 8am to 5pm to ask for the Paint& Body Shop Advisor & mention 12 year Corrosion Warranty they would then photograph it & write a report to send to HQ Germany.

I said what about the 12 year anti-corrosion guarantee and he said nothing was defective and that the cause was the plastic inner wing rubbing against the inside of the metal outer wing.

I said that it didn’t make sense as they were all assembled at the same time. They weren’t put on at a later date, nor had the wing been replaced.

Surely if the inner plastic wing could be rubbing against the inside of the metal wing that would cause the corrosion to start in the first place because it had rubbed the paint and underseal away. He made no mention of the foam pad.

He gave me his card with Customer services details and suggested I contact them.

On Tuesday 19thMarch I phoned Customer Care I was passed on to Customer Services. I told them the story so far that the Manager & Paint & Body Shop Advisor had both agreed that it was a common fault. I also said that I had obtained a copy of the VW Worldwide bulletin sheet sent to dealers in 2009.Shesaid she would contact the Paint & Body Shop Advisor as the reference no he gave me didn't register on her database & call me back later. At 12.11pm she phoned me to say that she had been in contact with the Paint & Body Shop Advisor he would have to speak to his Manager about getting some goodwill. This can't happen until his return from his holiday. She said she would get back to me on the3rdApril.

On the 26thMarch She phoned & asked if anyone had been in touch with regard to a goodwill gesture. I said that no one had nor was I expecting it until at least the 3rdApril as I had been told by her. She said she would contact the Paint & Body Shop Advisor again to see if any progress had been made. She would contact me as & when she had found out anything more.

On the 8thof April the Case Relations Manager in the Customer Services Department phoned my home asking for me.
Unfortunately was out all day he so he left a phone number to contact him on as &when I could.
On Tuesday 9thof April I tried to contact him. About 1.15pm he phoned me.

After confirming who I was by the vehicle reg. He went on to say he had taken on my claim for the replacement of both front wings of my car under the 12 anti-corrosion warranties from Customer Services.

He said that the cause of the corrosion was the mechanical action of the inner plastic wing rubbing against the inside of the outer wing and penetrating the paint & under body protection.
He went on to say that as it was a mechanical fault that warranty was for 3 years or 60,000 Miles. Which my car had exceeded.
I said to him that if I was to accept that then surely the paint &under-body protection applied at the time of construction was deficient as it allowed the outer metal wing to corrode from the inside Rendering It Unfit For Purpose.

This should bring it within the 12 year anti-corrosion (perforation)warranty.
His reply to this was that the outer metal wings were not part of the bodywork of the vehicle and so not included under this warranty either.
On10thApril I contacted Customer Services Department to confirm his fullname,his position @ VW and the case reference number and the statements he had made to me the previous day.

I was told that he was unavailable but a note would be left asking him to contact me.
On11thApril the Case Relations Manager phoned me.

I read the following statements to him and asked him if he agreed to the to make amendments to them.

1- He(VW) said that the cause of the corrosion was the mechanical action of the inner plastic wing rubbing against the inside of the outer wing and penetrating the paint & under body protection.
He went on to say that as it was a mechanical fault that mechanical warranty was for 3 years or 60,000 Miles. Which my car had exceeded.

2- His(VW's) said that the outer metal wings were not part of the bodywork of the vehicle and so not included under the 12 year anti-corrosion(perforation) warranty either.
In conclusion I had no justifiable claim towards VW.

I again said that had obtained a copy of the VW Worldwide bulletin sheet sent to dealers in 2009.
He asked where I had got it from. I said that it was freely available and common knowledge. I read it to him.

His reply was that it made no difference as the corrosion on my car was(edge & fold corrosion) as distinct from perforation or through corrosion as stated in the Terms & conditions of the Body protection warranty.

In conclusion I still had no claim against VW.

I asked for an address which I could send a written claim to.
I was told that anything further should be sent to their legal department via a solicitor .
Well that is the end of my story.
Has anyone any suggestions where to go from here?:zx11:

Crasher
12-04-2013, 03:41 PM
I struggled to read your text but basically what you are saying is that they will not honour TPI 2021707/4 which, if your corrosion matches that TPI, is wrong and out of order and you should complain to VW UK customer services. I know a number of people who have had this done including some members of this forum.

Guest 2
12-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Also if you look through this section there is a mahooooosive thread on it along with said TPI.

OP did you write your text while typing upsidedown? :confused:

I'll try and fix it.

Crasher
12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
This is a shortened version of the TPI without boring accounting information.

(http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/TPI2021707-5-1_zpsfcef4542.jpg)http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/TPI2021707-5-1_zpsfcef4542.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/TPI2015038-2text-1_zpsd18b5a32.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/TPI2021707-5-3_zps751fd8b4.jpg

Guest 2
12-04-2013, 09:47 PM
text (finally) fixed :rolleyes:

manicmike
12-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Sorry about the text it's ok this end. I can't find TPI 2021707/4 . Can anyone tell me the difference between edge & fold corrosion they say I have (see photos) as distinct from peforation or though corrosion.201002010120102Firs 2 are offside last nearside. Mike

Crasher
13-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I can't find TPI 2021707/4

2021707/5 as I show in post 4 supersedes 2021707/4

JimC64
14-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Please read this thread....
Please Help front wing corrosion (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?104409-front-wing-corrosion)

All the answers and the TSB are there within for you........Read until your eyes bleed and use the information provided to get your issues resolved f.o.c.

Crasher
14-04-2013, 01:48 PM
If a VW dealer is shown that TPI I find it impossible to see how they could refuse ANY claim for any type of corrosion in this area as it specifically covers both external and perforation corrosion damage.

manicmike
19-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that TPI Crasher, Sent a recorded delivery letter off to both VW legal & VW Customer Care with photos of wing corrosion & your TPI 2021707/5. I have given them 21 days to come up with a satisfactory reply.

chipped3
19-04-2013, 10:16 PM
You must follow all that has been written on the subject by myself (chipped2) and others otherwise VW will give you the run around as they are already doing!

Briefly, contact VW Customer Services to start your Claim on the 12 year perforation Warranty and ask for a claim number. Very important and keep the names of all you speak to with times and dates. Contact Motorcodes and see the requirements for their Members to adhere too when dealing with car owners. Remember you do not want any Goodwill claim.

Your claim is only against the 12 year perforation Warranty.

The problem is that the foam acoustic panel fitted to various models at the top of the wing gets contaminated with grit/dust/ salt which rubs off the galvanizing where it touches the wing inner lip and rust starts. Without this foam it would not happen! VW introduced this foam in good faith to deaden sound. It is entirely their fault and was unforeseeable at the time but that does not absolve them of any liability. I told them not to make any offers as the fault was theirs and theirs alone and my claim was for 100% contribution or else I would take them to the Small Claims Court and give the matter as much publicity as possible. I gave the Claims guy a deadline to meet my claim and as expected 70% was offered, refused........."I will ring you back"....which he did with 100% and a courtesy car. The Metallic paint was matched well and my only complaint was that and door trim adhesive backing was added to the existing adhesive and a mess. I said leave it, give me new adhesive strip and I will do myself when the snow has melted!

NB. If you have Blisters at the top of your wing it will have already perforated and require replacement. Do not tamper with the blisters. It is your proof that the corrosion process has perforated. Do not let them suggest cause is stone chipping which would appear around the whole wheel arch.

I came across my wing blister pictures recently which I will attempt to download if poss. Best of luck, be polite and stay resolute.

manicmike
24-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Customer care contacted me today with regard to my last letter. They are dogedly refusing to accept responsibility on the grounds that
1 It is edge & fold corrosion which they are saying is not covered under the 12 Year anti corrosion perforation warranty.
2 The corrosion has been apparant for some time 18 months + and not brought to thier notice as soon as it bubbled up.
I have not been well and am feeling worn out,I am just about ready to give up on this. Sorry!

chipped3
24-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Please don't give up! Your claim only has a time limit of 12 years. There is NO condition that states that you have to notify them of seeing the corrosion within a set time for them to honour your Warranty!

Using their terminology, if it has 'bubbled up' it is admittance that it has come from beneath the paint layer! The paint bubbles become larger when they become hot in the sun which is when I first noticed mine and they spread quite rapidly. If you will PM me with your email address I will look out pics of my bubbles so you can show if necessary of a 2002 Passat owner who received 100% contribution in November 2011.

It is edge and fold corrosion you are claiming for as it is behind the fold that the foam pad rubs off the galvanizing which is the cause of the corrosion. The solution to the problem which is noted in the Worldwide VW Bulletin when a repair is undertaken is to replace the foam pad BUT to shorten the pad by 10mm so that it does not rub this area. From memory it is also a requirement that this wing fold area is protected by an injected bead of silicone or similar.

Don't deal any further with a dealer. Have you contacted VW Customer Services and registered your claim. had a Claim Number Etc?

If you have, send a copy of your present reply with a letter based on what I have said above and giving them 21 days to come up with a satisfactory solution to treating your corrosion problem under the terms of your Warranty otherwise you will issue a Claim through the Small Claims Court and will give the matter maximum publicity as many VW owners have had their Claims met. You consider that you are not only being treated unfairly but VW are in breach of their 12 year corrosion perforation Warranty.

Record or Register your Letter sending a copy to Motorcodes as well together with times and dates of the people you have already spoken too. This is the only way you will get satisfaction because they will then appreciate you mean business!