PDA

View Full Version : New Gtd

mcmaddy
11-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I've ordered a new gtd manual and didn't give the dsg a thought. Is it worth it? Is it better than the manual gearbox? I also didn't go for the account. Would that have been worth it?

algarve
11-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Only you can tell whether you would prefer a DSG equipped car.
Get yourself a long test drive in a DSG Golf
On forums you will get the usual ' manual is more involving ' comment together with the usual ' DSG comment that it is more flexible because you have the choice of sport mode, paddle control, or you can use manual control with the tiptronic if you crave involvement etc.
It really is a case of trying out both & then personal choice imo.

maisbitt
12-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Mcmaddy: DSG is one of those things that you won't do without if you like automatics. My Dad has ordered one, makes for a lazier drive. I personally don't like autos, they take some control away from the driver. I suppose it comes down to how much you enjoy your drive and whether you want to make it a bit easier/less engaging. Also the CO2 rating is a bit odd. For the manual, both 3 door and 5 door GTD have a 109g/km rating, meaning a £20 tax disc. 3dr DSG slips in the £30 disc rating at 119g/km but the 5 door DSG is 123g/km and is £105 for the tax disc (do the back doors on a DSG equipped model weigh more than those on a manual model??? Possibly a typo in the brochure/pricelist). Paying an extra £85 a year isn't going to break the bank. On a retained value point of view, my Dad has a final value/final rental on his solutions just £250 higher than mine, so for his £1400 outlay, he'll not see much of that back.

As with all extras, they're worth next to nowt at trade-in, buy them for yourself and don't expect them to do much for the used value. If you haven't had one and haven't tried one, you won't miss it. Depending upon your driving style you might see economy improvements with DSG (if your manual gear change decisions are usually poor from an economy point of view), or you might see your car a lot thirstier than you're used to if you have an economic driving style currently.

The flappy paddles are a boy-racers wet-dream, as is the launch control, and for the more serene drivers they have even less to do. Also depends how long you want to keep it. You need a gearbox service every 40k miles and out of warranty issues can be very expensive.

mcmaddy
12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Good points Matthew. Youve hit quite a few nails on the head. All this waiting is doing me no good as its giving me time to think of what ifs!! I'm happy with my choices just need it delivered now.