PDA

View Full Version : 1998 110 TDI dies with revs when cold

Antony
22-06-2006, 02:57 PM
1998 Audi A4 1.9 TDI(110) 180,000 miles.

The problem varies dependent upon the engine temperature and the external temperature. The colder the engine and the colder it is outside, then the worse it is. Once the engine is beyond stone cold, she runs fine.

Temperature irrespective my car starts first time, every time on one turn.

Below 10 degrees C, if I apply any throttle, then the engine will start to miss, then stumble, then it will die. I then must wait a minute or so before I try to start it again. I crank it on/off for a few minutes before she eventually starts one cylinder at a time.

Down to -4.5 degrees C she still starts first time, everytime, but the problem gets worse, less revs to cause her to die, and it's much harder to get her to fire on all four after dying.

Below -4.5 degrees C she fires up, but within seconds of ticking over the cylinders shut down one at a time. She will take 15-30 minutes of on/off cranking to get her warm enough to run on tick over.

Below - 7 - forget it. She'll fire, but I'd just destroy the battery trying to get her going.

Once she is ticking over, if I wait about 2-5 minutes, I hear a click in the dashboard, the engine note changes slightly and then she runs like a two year old.

I have had this problem for 2 years now.

12 months ago the timing belt snapped and I rebuilt the top of the engine with all new parts from Audi. Valves, Camshaft, followers, pully, tensioners, belts, gaskets, injectors - the lot. Cost me £1200 in parts alone. The problem has not gone away.

A mechanic suggested my oil was too thick, causing the cam followers to swell and the values to float when the oil was cold, but I only use GTX Magnetec Diesel, always flush at each oil change, and she has had four changes in the last year alone.

Help !

Antony