PDA

View Full Version : TFSI Fuel consumption

aldfort
07-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Thought I'd post this in case some people are wondering if the petrol variant will be economical enough in real life. (225 PS by the way) Car still "runnning in"

I zeroed trip 2 in the DIS when I picked the car up a couple of weeks back. Obvoiusly trip 1 zero's each night if not before. I'll report fuel consumpion periodically for you all.

OK so far on trip 2 at 495 miles 28.9 mpg overall. Mixture of 3 long runs of about 320 miles and the rest urban crawl and short trips.

Last long run of 100 miles mostly motrorway 32.1 mpg on trip 1 Car was set to 70mph on the cruise control for the majority of the motorway trip and ambient was 10C

aldfort
18-04-2013, 05:30 PM
A further long run today 90 miles there and 90 miles back. V strong winds helping for about 50% of trip and hindering for about 50% of each trip.
This morning 30mpg at a steady 70 on the M-way.
This afternoon 31mpg at a steady 70 on the motorway.

Saw average as high as 32.1mpg for both trips before the headwind took its toll.

Car now has around 750 miles on the clock and is beggining to feel a little more free. Scared a bloke in a BMW 3 series TDI who though he was faster than me. People look silly as the paint melting full beams vanish into a small dot in the rear view mirror. Only while I was accelerating up to the limit of course. He passed me a few miles later once he'd baled enough coal on!

aldfort
21-04-2013, 10:22 AM
OK a further bullitin for you. Another 200 miles under the wheels so car now has approx 950 miles on the clock.

First 100 miles 32 mpg on a mostly motorway run with about 25 miles of A road at the end. Air temp about 3 C

Second 100 miles run home 33.1 mpg same trip as above but in reverse. Air temp about 16 C

All motorway running on cruise control at an indicated 70 mph.

I am begining to think really cold mornings are not best for fuel economy.

But 33 mpg and I'm quite happy and the engine is bedding in nicely.

Guest 2
21-04-2013, 10:25 AM
MPG is on the upwards which is good and will continue to improve up to about 5000 miles once everything is loosened up.

Cruise control isn't the best for MPG runs so use your foot for more control. Also the hotter the air outside the better MPG. I've noticed an increase of about 4mpg on my A3 over the past 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S66MJETDI
21-04-2013, 10:53 AM
That sounds in track to be a sweet motor..... the 2ltr TFSI in my 06 Golf GTI used to return 36mpg with ease, and I'm guessing that was a bit lighter.

aldfort
22-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm using the cruise control for the consistency of readings. I agree for abosolute best fuel economy your foot is better. But if I wanted the absolute best (1) I'd have bought a diesel (2) I'd have specc'd the lower tune level of motor (3) I'd not be running on Super Unleaded and (4) Yes - I'd have bought a lighter car. My wifes 2.0 Scirocco gets well over 36 mpg on a run.

I'm hoping the real world numbers will be helpful to those looking to make the petrol / diesel choice.

aldfort
23-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Well another 200 mile run under the wheels 75% motorway and 25% A road. 32.2 mpg overall. Temp between 5 C and 12 C. I'm going to test again when I get to 2000 miles or so as these figures seem fairly stable at the moment.

aldfort
13-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Close to 3000 miles on the clock now. Motorway average at an indicated 73 on the speedo (70 according to my GPS) is now 32.7 mpg. Overall consumption over close to 3000 miles of mixed use including lots of short trips is 29.9 mpg. I've checked these DIS numbers against actual fuel purchased and they seem pretty close. (As an aside it is possible to get the calibration of your DIS fuel consumption changed if it's not reading correctly but you'll probably need to give the technician accurate fuel figures to help him out.)

SilverTop669
26-08-2013, 10:49 PM
aldfort, you mentioned "Scared a bloke in a BMW 3 series (http://www.shopzilla.co.uk/rd2?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ist-track.com%2FProcessClick.ashx%3FcompanyId%3Db8708c 57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e%26itemId%3Dwxtpqtlq%26bid%3Dtzpl&mid=82854&catId=13791&atom=11162&prodId=&oid=2568376057&pos=1&bId=18&bidType=1&bAmt=dd6acf5bafc6003d&cobrand=2&ppr=ea2c15a289e533b3&rf=af1&af_assettype_id=10&af_creative_id=6&af_id=11444) TDI". I had test driven a few cars and then I tried the Q5 TFSI Auto. There's a long dual carriageway into Sheffield that kills trucks and small vehicles and I was cruising at 70 up it. I gently touched the accelerator to see if anything would happen and found myself clocking 95 in a few seconds. Naturally, I backed off fast as it was more accidental than deliberate to be going so fast. It's that point I knew I wanted the Q5 for it's exhilaration and fun value. At 4,000 miles a year or less, I can't say the mileage I will get matters much to me. Comfort, refinement, performance and the "wow" factor are what I seek.

aldfort
29-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Silver Top's post has reminded me to update this thread. Well past 4000 miles on the clock now. M-way cruising at the legal limit is returning around 33 mpg most times. Strong headwinds or other poor weather conditions tend to put a dent in this number. Overall average is settled at around 30 mpg. As Silver Top mentioned even at 70 you have to be careful as the car will still pick up speed very quickly if you pour the sauce! Another good reason to use the cruise control.

SilverTop669
29-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I really didn't expect much from an SUV going uphill. I expected comfort and luxury but not performance as well. That was a one-off, but if it can put so quick on a long uphill gradient it must be really quick on the flat. I have had a car that was 150 bhp many years ago and my current 1.8 Mondeo is nowhere near the 225 bhp of the Q5. Audi really know how to get the best from a relatively average sized engine at 2.0 litre. With a bit of luck I'll have my own in another month. Your tip on cruise control is a useful one as I have never had a car of my own with cruise control, although I did think UK roads are too conjested to use cruise control for long. I haven't hasd an automatic for 13 years so this car will lift me out of the Dark Ages.

aldfort
31-08-2013, 07:48 PM
I really didn't expect much from an SUV going uphill. I expected comfort and luxury but not performance as well. That was a one-off, but if it can put so quick on a long uphill gradient it must be really quick on the flat. I have had a car that was 150 bhp many years ago and my current 1.8 Mondeo is nowhere near the 225 bhp of the Q5. Audi really know how to get the best from a relatively average sized engine at 2.0 litre. With a bit of luck I'll have my own in another month. Your tip on cruise control is a useful one as I have never had a car of my own with cruise control, although I did think UK roads are too conjested to use cruise control for long. I haven't hasd an automatic for 13 years so this car will lift me out of the Dark Ages.

I don't find using cruise control a problem. I regularly do a 90 mile run on the M4 / M5 and my return trip is mid afternoon or early evening. Granted the outbound trip is usually early in the morning, pre-rush hour.

SilverTop669
23-07-2014, 07:36 PM
I have had the car for about 10 months now (Audi Q5 2.0S Line TFSI Quattro 225PS Plus Auto) and done just 3,000 miles. Economy was never a concern of mine, but just out of interest I thought I would check what I am getting. I did 285 miles and refilled the tank with 54 litres of petrol which gives me an average of exactly 20 miles per gallon over the whole 285 miles. I appreciate the temperature as 24 degrees outside and 150 miles of it was Sheffield to Chester Zoo for which we had to go through Glossop (which is hell for motorists) and I had the aircon on for the entire journey.
Irrespective of the poor mileage per gallon, I still love my car.
What has happened to this site ? It's crap !!!! I have had to type everything twice and I am a good typist !

shabazmo
23-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Just thought I would help rejuvinate the site. My 3.0tdi with 245bhp will return 40mpg + on a long drive and 37mpg in every day use. Really happy with that.

Boxbrownie
13-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Just thought I would help rejuvinate the site. My 3.0tdi with 245bhp will return 40mpg + on a long drive and 37mpg in every day use. Really happy with that.

Thats because its not a TFSi :biglaugh: