PDA

View Full Version : new A6 Allroad all season tyres?

Big Red Dog
07-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Dear all, this is my first post to this site, so forgive me if I am covering old ground. Yesterday we placed a deposit on a new A6 Allroad, but have a slight issue with the tyres. Basically Audi seem to supply all their cars with summer tyres, with no option for changing them. I have to be honest and say that I'm unlikely to swap summer and winter tyres so am looking for general purpose all season tyres for the Allroad (and I do realise there's a compromise here). However we are getting the standard wheels, and the tyre size is 235/55 R18. I was thinking Pirelli Scorpions, but they don't seem to come in this size. Does anybody have any views/suggestions on all of this - any help gratefully received! thanks

Splash
27-04-2013, 09:58 PM
The Scorpion Verde All-Season is indeed an option, but Vredestein Quatrac 3 is well regarded if a little more expensive.

I run the previous generation allroad and changed to the off-road pattern which was an option when it came out. Although not specifically all-season, they have proved to be excellent - particularly in snow. Alas, they are no longer available so I bought another set and also fitted some to our other car.

I've also run all-seasons on other cars and would recommend Hankook Optimo 4S although I can't see them in your size. Also Maxxis Victra MAZ4S which has a high silica 4 season compound although a conventional summer pattern, again not available in your size as far as I am aware. I've used them and used to consider myself a tyre snob having worked for Michelin.

If you buy carefully you can get some UK manufactured wheels and tyres for nearly the cost of replacement premium tyres.

I might have his same dilemma myself if I replace my current allroad.

Big Red Dog
28-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks so much Splash, I shall check out the Vredesteins. As you point out there seem to be a dearth of tyres actually at the size required. Regarding your comment on buying carefully - are you saying I should really go buy some new wheels with Winter tyres? I'm sort of coming round to this way of thinking.

I like the idea of you being a tyre snob! I'm just realising that whilst you can have any number of safety features the 4 bits of rubber attaching you to the road are quite possibly the most crucial safety device available! cheers.

Splash
28-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Yes. I advocate winter tyres and have used them since going on a BMW winter driving course over a decade ago. Being a quattro owner since 1995, I was sceptical about the performance of RWD in snow and ice, but returned a convert to the tyres if not the cars.

VAG cars have benefited from the fact that the wheels are largely interchangeable although differences in offset do not make this foolproof. More recently, a larger hub diameter has made for two camps. More on thar later.

My allroad is my first through Volkswagen Finance and it stipulates that cars must be returned with 4mm tread remaining. The cost of a new set of tyres is c. £1000. I managed to source a set of wheels and tyres for the same allowing me to return my car on its originals.

I got my wheels from Rimstock plc who manufacture in West Bromwich and who are an OEM and also supply the BTCC. Whilst I accept they may look a little "aftermarket", the advantage for me is that they feature spigot rings allowing for fitment to varios hub sizes.

Audi do their own winter wheel/tyre package or you could buy some wheels from other forum members. I would stay away from replicas though. Either way your winter wheels don't have to be on many months and you can get them swapped over at Costco for less than £10.

All-seasons are a slight compromise, but have their place if yo don't plan to keep the car long, or it is only sublect to limited miles e.g. spare care

Splash
28-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Browser is playing up, but send me a PM if you want my number to call to discuss more.