PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2006 Phaeton v6 tdi buyers guide/advice

techfreak
06-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi

I've done a fair bit if research now and I'm keen to get into a 2006 phaeton 3.0l tdi with 112k. Seems to have been very well maintained.

Fully loaded with

bi xenons
18 way seats
Front & rear Pdc
Heated steering wheel

But one thing that's scaring the crap out of me now (after all the reading) is if things go pop.

Injectors have been replaced recently, no boot wiring harness issue and all electrics work.

Anything else to look out for?

Also can I check with vw if the cars had all the recall issues sorted?

Thanks

Guest 2
06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
All history can be checked via VW customer service on 0800 333 666 or a local dealer.

techfreak
06-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Chris will give them a call.

Which a6 do you have as I also considered (considering) the same 3.0 Tdi Quattro in sline but the jump to phaeton is not as hard on the pockets - well initially anyways

Guest 2
06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
I have a 2008 3.0 TDi S-Line Le Mans

Same engine (near enough) as the Phaeton but obviously in a different body.

Some early engines had problems but if you can guarantee at least an '07 plate car will have most problems ironed out - suppose the same for the Phaeton (engine wise).

MPG-wise I'm getting anything from 14-22 around town and 32-44 on a motorway stint so in hindsight it isn't too bad for the size of car.

techfreak
06-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Oh the Le Mans I love em!

Unfortunately I'm stretching my budget to get into a 2005/6 sline or phaeton.

A decent le mans would set me back an extra couple of £ks

But now you've got me thinking an extra few k for a more reliable less miles car might be a better option in the long run.

Edit:

I've had a quick look and I'm looking at an extra £3/4k min and this is for motors with circa 120k miles.

Decisions decisions - I'd probably save that back in fuel if I went for the 2.0l though.

The phaetons still calling with all that spec

gupsterg
12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Only my opinion formed from research I've done for issues with my own car, I would say save a bit longer and go for at least a 2007 production year not registration year of any VAG 3.0 TDi... the V6 with TIP in VAG range can chew £££ very quickly when faults occur... mine to date is sitting@ £6.(x)k in 20 months ownership :Blush2: ...

The V6 3.0 TDi is exactly the same across the VAG range for production issues... they only differ on additional auxiliary parts (hoses, air filter housing, etc) designed for the particular size shape of engine bay/chassis...

Only today when I was viewing something for another thread I could see same production issues in Phaeton as with the A6 3.0 TDi ...

Have a look at this thread where I have been collating some info... Link:- Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?142595-Audi-A6-4F-C6-V6-2-7-3-0-TDi-Buyers-Checklist)

Some of this info in that thread apply to all combos of VAG V6 with Tiptronic (09L) transmission... eg injectors, chain rattle, TIP oil...

techfreak
13-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Thank you for that info.

I would not like to have bills like what you're experiencing!!

My only thought is, although the engine is the same therefore prone to a lot of the same issues - one area where the cars (phaeton to a6) would differ would be electrical faults and extra things like air suspension.

As much as I'd want a newer phaeton I can't also justify the road tax of almost £500 pa on top of the potentially huge bills.

I'm leaning towards an a6 now and probably get the 3.0 v6 tdi.

gupsterg
13-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Depending on reg year of the A6 3.0 TDi it is practically the same road tax... IIRC the manual gearbox version A6 can be cheaper for road tax for some reg years vs the auto...

techfreak
13-04-2013, 06:27 PM
The one I've seen as on 05 3.0v6 tdi sline so cheaper on tax.

Or there's one i may go and see which is 57 2.0tdi sline so cheaper all round.

Both autos