PDA

View Full Version : Mk3. Poor fuel economy?

Airplanner
26-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Hope you guys can help me. I have a 97 Mk3 Golf 1.6L.

City driving (in NZ) I get only 350 kms for a tank (just over 8km per litre; 12.5 litres per 100km; 23 miles/gallon).

On a recent highway run of approx 250-300 kms the economy went up to around 13km per litre; 7.5 litres per 100km; 36 miles/gallon.

This seems to be a huge difference in fuel economy between city and highway - really poor in the city and I am thinking of selling the car because of that.

I have tried 3 service places to check timing, plugs, split hoses etc. No improvement. I am also conscious of not gunning the engine too hard cos its a small capacity motor.

Questions:

1. Is the city driving economy below what it should be?
2. Does anyone have any ideas what I should look for to fix the problem, assuming that it isn't right?

(Go the ABs!)

chrisvrscrx
26-08-2007, 08:50 AM
You always get less miles per gallon (mpg) in the city, this is because it takes alot of enery to get the car moving, stop, start etc. However, on a highway it doesn't take much energy to keep the car at a constant speed say 70 mph once its up there, hence your better fuel economy on a long highway run. I don't own a golf so I can't comment on what you should be getting. Your driving style could be changed, ie driving more smoothly and reading the road to avoid braking as much. You could try using a fuel addative like redex to give the fuel system etc a clean out and/or get a service.
Hope this helps.