PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about the Sharan

DamoZed
04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi all

I hope to be getting a Sharan very soon, looking at one tonight :)

I'm after a MY2000 onwards, diesel.

I have a few questions, sorry.

How do I tell the BHP, is it as simple as "if it's 5 speed it's 90 and if it's 6 speed it's 115?"

The one I'm looking at tonight only has one key, whats the proceedure for getting/coding a new key?

Any common problems, issues I should look out for when buying?

I'll have a good old "search" round the forum in the mean time, but thanks in advance :)

Sam
04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
How do I tell the BHP, is it as simple as "if it's 5 speed it's 90 and if it's 6 speed it's 115?"

The best way to check is by looking at the engine code (stamped on the engine, in the manual/service book and in the boot by the spare) - it'll be a three letter code. Armed with that you should be able to deduce the power;

Petrol
1.8T - AWC - 150 bhp
2.0 - ATM - 115 bhp
2.8 - AYL - 200 bhp

Diesel
1.9 - ANU - 90bhp
1.9 - AUY - 115 bhp
1.9 - BVK - 115 bhp
1.9 - ASZ - 130 bhp
1.9 - BTB - 150 bhp
2.0 - BRT - 140 bhp

The one I'm looking at tonight only has one key, whats the proceedure for getting/coding a new key?

Dealer will ask for ~£150 all in, a locksmith can usually cut (and sometimes code) a spare you bought from eBay for £50 ish upwards.

Any common problems, issues I should look out for when buying?

I'll have a good old "search" round the forum in the mean time, but thanks in advance :)

There's a common cross platform issue (Sharan / Galaxy / Alhambra) with driveshaft splines being stripped resulting in no drive - not sure of what years are susceptible to this though.

Check the service history too, cambelt needs to be changed every 4 years - if it's not been done see if you can get it done as a condition of the sale.

DamoZed
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
That is a superb reply, thank you soooo much.

Brilliant info and very quick too.

I am now armed with "knowledge" and can hopefully negotiate a good price tonight.

Thank you very much :beerchug:

DamoZed
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Update.

I looked at a 2000 W reg 1.9 diesel with 115k miles for £1550 this evening and didn't buy it :(

The engine number is AVG265181 - from what I can work out it's 110 bhp ? The 'number' on the sticker near the jack was "AVG" ?

There was no history or service info at all, the owner had no idea when it was last serviced or cam belt changed and the tyres looked too small. I could be completely wrong but 185/65/15's looked tiny ? ?

Looks like I'll be travelling approx 250 mile round trip this weekend to find one :)

Sam
05-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Seems like very low mileage for a diesel?

AVG, as well as being a once-brilliant antivirus program, is a 110 bhp engine from the Phase 1 (7M) Sharan.

I'd have walked away too, good job.

As for the wheels, the earlier ones (and I think most of them) had tiny little wheels with big balloon tyres - probably in an effort to make them float and not bottom out when fully laden.

DamoZed
05-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks Sam :)

Ive checked the MOT history with DVLA and the mileage does stack up ok from 2006 :)

I'm still not sure about the tyres but I'd have to do the timing belt and water pump straight away, any idea if its a straight forward job, is there a "How to" on here?

Thanks again for the help and advice :)

Sam
05-04-2013, 10:13 AM
I've not seen a DIY belt change on here, but I'm sure someone has done it and documented it online.

There's a Ford Galaxy Haynes manual (ISBN:9781859609842) which covers the Alhambra and the Sharan.

DamoZed
05-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Cheers Sam :)

I'll buy the service manual from eBay when I've got the sharan then I'll be pulling it to pieces lol :) :)