PDA

View Full Version : CV problem or not?

John in Norway
03-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi,
I have a 2002 Passat 1.9 TDI, it has done just under 180,000km.
Three weeks ago a ‘clunk, clunk, clunk’ CV type noise started on the front/right side during right turns and some left turns, driving straight ahead there was no noise. On some corners the vibration is quite loud and on others there is almost no noise at all. There is also a little vibration in the steering wheel a bit like a wheel is out of balance.
I talked with friends and we agreed that it was much more common for an outer CV to go than inner CVs and it was wise to replace both outer CVs.
The car was already booked in to get a new rear brake caliper fitted last Monday, when I picked up the car the mechanic told me that ‘the CVs needed to be replaced’ buthe could not do it before the Easter break. I needed the car to drive about 500km over Easter.
Through a friend I found another local mechanic, who I called and asked if he could replace the two outer CVs, he said he could fit my car in the very next day, so last Tuesday he replaced the two outer CVs.
My wife picked the car up and drove to my workplace to give me the car………… as she pulled up she told me that the vibration was still there! :mad:
The nextday I returned to the mechanic, there was a sign on the door saying he was awayuntil today (3rd of April). We borrowed a Golf from a friend to use over Easter and returned on Monday.
Today I went back to the mechanic, we took it for a test drive with him driving forabout 10 minutes doing left and right turns and circles in a car park………. of course there was no vibration to be found during the test drive!!:aargh4:

He told methat it was probably not an inner CV because 95% of the time it’s the outer CV and they were replaced last week. So the noise was probably not a CV, “after 30 years in the business he knowsthat CV noises don’t come and go”. Then he told me to come back when the noise is constant so he can hear it.

As I drove home the noise started again:( :mad:.

Sometimes,when going over sharp bumps there is a ‘clunk’…. the same type of sound as the ‘CV’noise, then the noise starts again. This made me wonder if the whole thing maybe related to worn front suspension. (I’ve had the top front suspension arms replaced within the last year). Or is it an inner CV clunking when the suspension moves?

Just wondering if anyone has an idea on this, any help would be appreciated!

(it’s still -5C outside and I don’tfancy jacking the car upto take a look until the weather is at least over +5C).
Cheers from a ccccold aussie in Norway
-John:o

passat 130 tdi
04-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I had a clunk / rattle on mine once and it was the rubber bushing in this arm that had failed ...mainly over sharp bumps etc on full lock 20003

John in Norway
05-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks mate, I think I'll go back to the original mechanic (still too cold to be lying on the garage floor) and ask him to take a look at the lower suspension.

cheers,

-John:o

smithy602179
05-04-2013, 12:47 PM
also check drop links . just eradicated a knock on mine by replacing the front pair left first followed by right . more responsive too

John in Norway
08-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi,

a mechanic friend had another thought today, I had the brakepads replaced two weeks ago but not the discs, he said that the edge on the disc is higher than the rest (where it's been worn down). This could account for some of the noise but not a real 'knock, knock, knock' it would be more of a grinding sound, and more when the brake pedal is pressed.
I'll take the car to the original mechanic (not the one who replaced the CVs) and just ask them to check where the noises are comeing from and give a quote.

cheers,

-John

John in Norway
08-04-2013, 03:16 PM
also check drop links . just eradicated a knock on mine by replacing the front pair left first followed by right . more responsive too

Hi smithy, was it a knock when you go over bumps or a 'knock, knock, knock' when driveing?

Just to let you guys know how much parts cost here in Norway and why I don't just have a complete kit done for the front suspension.......

The upper front suspension arms were £79 EACH!!:zx11:
The outer CVs cost £147 EACH!! :zx11:

............and they are not even original VW parts!

If I need anything else I'll look at a supplier of good parts on Ebay! (The mechanics will put in parts I give them but won't give a warranty!)

-John