PDA

View Full Version : Multiple issues with my brand new A6 Avant S-Line 177 PS multitronic

mcousins
03-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello everyone, new to this site so I hope I have the right section....

I took delivery of my new A6 Avant 2.0 TDi S Line on Saturday. A few problems were immediately apparent;

1. A noise from the near side rear suspension when going over a bump (doesn't happen on offside)
2. A constant metal whirring noise at speeds over 50 mph (didn't do that in test car), car feels sluggish.
3. I've covered 300 miles so far (careful dual carriageway driving 50-60 mph, constant speed) but only getting 37 mpg!

My Audi dealer seems disinterested, telling me this is normal, problems will go away on their own. Does anyone else have this experience or can offer any useful advice or comments?
Many thanks,

Mark.

S66MJETDI
03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
The only brand new car I have had (VW Golf Gti) was perfect out of the box. I would be taking it back parking it somewhere awkward for them and handing them the keys - and politely but firmly explaining that you will collect it once the issues are sorted if not you will be rejecting the car. At least you should get some paperwork from them then when you get it back documenting their work in looking for the faults and thus documenting your displeasure from such a low miles.

Bloater
03-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I think I have the issues from the rear suspension as well, but only sometimes. I have put it down to the stiff suspension, so will keep an eye on it. Don't have any other issues at the moment, hope you get it sorted.

Whippy53
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi, sorry to hear about your disapointing experience, you must feel gutted. What box did you get? Could that be the source of the noise? Was it the dealer in Norwich by any chance. Go back and demand a tech goes out with you! I really don't understand this couldn't give a damn attitude that seems so endemic in the industry, dont they want any repeat business? Bought a brand new VW for the wife last year, all smiles and flowers when they were selling it, went into the showroom a fortnight later to check something and no one would speak to me! completely blanked! I have come to expect it as a matter of course now. Poor, really poor.

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
From experience.

Which dealer?

Have they removed the delivery chocks?

Take it back and leave it there.

Did you buy it on finance to get the discount?

foxy367
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I would say 37mpg is probably right for an engine with 300miles on the clock it will loosen up and get better. That sort of journey would see me getting 50mpg no dangers but ive done 12k now.

Im not sure about knocking and whirring noises going away on their own though that just sounds like bs

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I would say 37mpg is probably right for an engine with 300miles on the clock it will loosen up and get better. That sort of journey would see me getting 50mpg no dangers but ive done 12k now.

Every thread ends up as MPG but after 15k miles I can categorically say I have never seen as high as 50mpg. Are you in a manual Foxy367?

foxy367
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I am. The actual average (from fuel receipts *bows head*) is around 41-44 based on city centre commute, but I would easily get 50 on a dual carriagway at 50-60mph

I use the motorway and A-roads to another site I'm looking after I can easily get that up to 50mpg. Admittedly the multitronic is heavier and probably not as economical but on a dual carriageway at the speeds the OP suggested that should certainly increase from 37.

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I'll give you that, it will certainly improve. Sounds to me like he's carrying the extra weight of a delivery chock too.

Ours is a multitronic, which explains my surprise at your 50mpg.

Hope the OP gets back in touch soon.

Timothy Nathan
04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I put mine in E yesterday and drove the length of the M3 at 50mph (I was very early for a meeting). This is an SE Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic.
The average was 59, and it varied between 38 uphill to off the scale down dale.

I later did the same at 40mph, though not for as long, and it averaged 62, though that was wrecked by slowing down for and accelerating away from one traffic light, at which point it went to 48 and was still recovering when I got home!

mcousins
04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi, sorry to hear about your disapointing experience, you must feel gutted. What box did you get? Could that be the source of the noise? Was it the dealer in Norwich by any chance. Go back and demand a tech goes out with you! I really don't understand this couldn't give a damn attitude that seems so endemic in the industry, dont they want any repeat business? Bought a brand new VW for the wife last year, all smiles and flowers when they were selling it, went into the showroom a fortnight later to check something and no one would speak to me! completely blanked! I have come to expect it as a matter of course now. Poor, really poor.

It was the Norwich dealer, naming no names! I kicked off over the phone and said I want take a technician on a test drive but they said they would rather come and collect it and deliver it back when they've had a look at it. Bizarre... I'll keep you posted on what happens!

Whippy53
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Please do. I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
I'd be interested to know if they come and take it away on the back of something, or take it away by driving it. If they don't/won't drive it, I reckon they must be thinking the same thing I was - and if they are, will they admit it afterwards?

Please let us know.

abuelbanat
04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
From experience.

Which dealer?

Have they removed the delivery chocks?

Take it back and leave it there.

Did you buy it on finance to get the discount?

excuse my ignorance - but what are delivery chocks?

I've googled it - confirms what I thought a chock was but I don't understand how they can be left in? I first heard it mentioned in Wuffles post re his Avant.

help?

Guest 2
04-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I can only assume the storage/transport blocks placed in the suspension which (should) be removed at PDI.

Sometimes these can be missed/forgot about.

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Yes sorry, that was the name used by the garage that left them in originally, not a very technical description.

As I've said before, people in overalls seem to take a sharp intake of breath when you say they were left in, people in suits say it's nothing at all to worry about, happens all the time. I've no idea either way, but we have had new rear suspension fitted, although not as a result of that I am told.

abuelbanat
04-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Ok - so chocks to keep the suspension static during transit rather than the type kicked under wheels to keep the car static?

makes more sense.

Timothy Nathan
04-04-2013, 10:28 PM
...but given the number of things that have to be done in the PDI one can only draw one of two conclusions:

These items are particularly hard to spot on the car and on the checklist
The mechanics leave a whole load of other, less obvious, things not done.

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Steering wheel attached? Check. Reversing sensor attached to vehicle? Bob, do you want a cuppa? Oh yes please. Now, where was I.

johnsimcox
05-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Check the tyre pressures as well. The cars are shipped with the tyres at something like 45-50psi to help prevent flat spotting if they are sitting around for a while before sale and delivery. If the pressure is too high it may cause that corner of the car to behave oddly. I once had a car where they had only done 3 out of the 4 tyres.

man le-mans
05-04-2013, 10:01 PM
I've used Norwich a few times and I wasn't impressed. My car come back with a squeaking window and when I got back into the car and open the drivers window before I had even moved it and heard the window. I then went back into the show room and told them. The answer I got was well it wasn't us how can we cause that. I then explained it never did it before you got your hands on it.

mcousins
06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Everyone who said delivery chocks go to the top of the class....... well almost. Turns out the chocks were removed but the rubber suspension stoppers were not pushed in, causing the knocking noise from the rear when going over bumps. The dealer didn't find this, I did this morning. They're still telling me the metallic noise is normal and will go away. I took the car in and took a "master technician" out for a drive, who said he could hear nothing abnormal. They took it in the workshop for 45 minutes then gave it back with the suspension stoppers pushed in. Many of you said the mpg will improve as more miles go on the clock which the dealer agreed with. Let's see how it goes! Thanks to all of you who commented.

MFGF
08-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Everyone who said delivery chocks go to the top of the class....... well almost. Turns out the chocks were removed but the rubber suspension stoppers were not pushed in, causing the knocking noise from the rear when going over bumps. The dealer didn't find this, I did this morning. They're still telling me the metallic noise is normal and will go away. I took the car in and took a "master technician" out for a drive, who said he could hear nothing abnormal. They took it in the workshop for 45 minutes then gave it back with the suspension stoppers pushed in. Many of you said the mpg will improve as more miles go on the clock which the dealer agreed with. Let's see how it goes! Thanks to all of you who commented.

This was the exact situation with mine. I carried two rear passengers before I could get the car to the dealer and the weight in the back was enough to cause the rubbers to locate themselves, so the thudding was sorted by the time I got the car to them.

MF.

Dra22
28-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Having just got my new A6 on Friday, believe I have the suspension stopper issue as on the off side it's hanging loose and I get a knocking noise when going over bumps in the road, was able to confirm the side by going down a kerb on each side. See picture, if others can confirm it should be pushed up into the fixing at the top.

Passatier3
28-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Rather annoying for those having this problem and why is it happening? Buying an Audi means that you should be getting well trained better than average techs doing the PDI's and whilst anyone can forget to do something/make an error the number of folks experiencing this problem (given that a relatively shall percentage of buyers will be on this forum) and complaining about it/having it rectified would have highlighted the issue to the dealers and Audi and appropriate steps taken to stop it happening. I thought they used tick sheets which is the simplest and should be an effective way of checking everything has been done?

MFGF
29-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Having just got my new A6 on Friday, believe I have the suspension stopper issue as on the off side it's hanging loose and I get a knocking noise when going over bumps in the road, was able to confirm the side by going down a kerb on each side. See picture, if others can confirm it should be pushed up into the fixing at the top.

Yep - that needs locating into the fixing at the top. Two people sitting in the back of the car for a short drive was enough to locate both stops on my car, but if you can get to a dealer and have them do it, it would be a safer approach.

Cheers!

MF.

Dra22
29-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks MFGF, with kids and a fill up of diesel it does seem to have been pushed into the fixing, at least to stop it dropping again, though not fully into the fixing. But importantly it seems like its fixed the knocking noise, so probably with a few more miles on the clock it will be fine. Saves a drive to the dealer, only for them to jack it up and knock it into place with a big hammer!

MFGF
30-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I would get them to check it if I were you. Some people reported damage caused by the stops not being located - if you have this, your dealer will fix it under warranty.

Cheers!

MF.

kamza
30-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Definitely get the dealer to sort it.

I'm getting my first service free by way of an apology after I took my car back with the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wuffles
30-04-2013, 04:19 PM
LMFAO. Free service for that? You don't know you're born mate. :D

Dra22
30-04-2013, 06:25 PM
I would get them to check it if I were you. Some people reported damage caused by the stops not being located - if you have this, your dealer will fix it under warranty.

Cheers!

MF.

OK thanks, any more details on potential damage and how i can I check for it? Seems the dealer, when i first reported it to them, does not think its of concern, when I shared the posted picture they replied saying the workshop said there was nothing out of the ordinary, but did offer to investigate further.

Whippy53
30-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Take it back so they can check it, put your mind at rest.

MFGF
30-04-2013, 09:39 PM
OK thanks, any more details on potential damage and how i can I check for it? Seems the dealer, when i first reported it to them, does not think its of concern, when I shared the posted picture they replied saying the workshop said there was nothing out of the ordinary, but did offer to investigate further.

See this thread:

Clunking Rear (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130727-Clunking-Rear)

Look at Post #13 in particular.

Cheers!

MF.

Wuffles
30-04-2013, 09:47 PM

I've said it before. The suits don't think it's of any concern, the overalls seem to take a different view sometimes.

PhilR
03-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Mpg wise....my car, same engine and gearbox as the OP is 12 months old and 9k miles has never reached 50mpg. Not even close. Knocking on suspension can be also be a known fault that needs the break calipers replacing....both mine were done on the front inside the first few weeks

Wuffles
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Mpg wise....my car, same engine and gearbox as the OP is 12 months old and 9k miles has never reached 50mpg. Not even close. Knocking on suspension can be also be a known fault that needs the break calipers replacing....both mine were done on the front inside the first few weeks

I can see from your avatar it's the "White" ones that are clearly the problem here Phil :D. Our white one has had both sets of callipers AND rear suspension replaced - plus other things.