PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Miles in.....

abuelbanat
03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Delivered 10 days ago which was a nice surprise - expected late April which I took to mean early May.

First Impressions - it's too flash for me (!)
I've went from a black 08 Passat Highline to an Ibis White A6 with 20" Rotors. Lovely to spec up such an impressive machine but I have to admit to some first pangs of being overindulgent.

The drive is lovely, certainly more refined than what I'm used to. I've been mostly in efficiency setting for what's largely a motorway commute. I've had 2 pre planned weekend trips in the past 2 weekends so I've had the opportunity to test it on a few longer 100+ miles journeys and I'm thrilled about how effortless they've seemed. I actually briefly drove my Passat today and it seemed like an incredible difference.....

Road Noise I've not been terribly bothered with however largely down to my use of the AMI which drowns everything out. Was given the blue cable however was able to swap for a red with minimum fuss. Nice integration with the iPhone 4 - the salesman suggested I didn't need a red cable as my non-high tech package wouldn't support video however I knew better from reading on here. Gimmicky yes - but nice for my daughters to watch their videos - the surprise of BBC iPlayer streaming was very pleasant also and opens up a few more possibilities when hanging around.

HUD - excellent. Always on, I find it very useful particularly with the navigation instructions being displayed. I also specc'd the colour DIS which makes the dash look very impressive. Thrilled with the parking sensors front and back - fairly proud of my geek displays of bravado when it comes to shoehorning my cars into tight spaces and this makes it all the easier :)

The child lock gets special mention for being user friendly. I'm used to having to enable it within the door which makes it semi-permanent however with it available to manage via my driver door I can let adults out the back and also enable it easier on one side for darling daughter #2 while dd#1 is big enough to know better.

Downsides? None that warrant any genuine gripes. I mentioned in a different thread that I've had a problem with properly closing the drivers door however it may just be down to it being lighter than I'm used to and I haven't simply adapted. Not sure of the colour. I suspect I'll get used to it - it is certainly complimented by the wheels being darker - I think it's just my earlier point about being a bit too flash for me now that I've got it in the flesh so to speak.

Whippy53
03-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Nice! pretty car! Is that an SE? what gearbox did you plump for? manual or auto? What dealer did you use and how were you treated? Nice rotors and I love that clour DIS, it's a must have. I have read that the doors need a good 'thunk' due to the lighter construction materials. Ltes have some more pics please.

abuelbanat
03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Nice! pretty car! Is that an SE? what gearbox did you plump for? manual or auto? What dealer did you use and how were you treated? Nice rotors and I love that clour DIS, it's a must have. I have read that the doors need a good 'thunk' due to the lighter construction materials. Ltes have some more pics please.

thanks.

S-Line, 2.0 Manual Diesel.

Lookers Group Fleet, delivered via Glasgow Audi. No complaints, delivered to my work on a snowy Friday. Can't really comment on dealer - except to say that in the few times I visited for a nosey they were politely attentive.

Steve Hut
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
I had a Passat Highline before my A6 also. In some ways I prefered the Passat and in other areas the A6 is better. I have had mine 4 months now and done nearly 13K in it. Kept the Passat for two years and think will keep the A6 for three years though starting to think what I will change it for already.

Simplysukh
09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Wow Congrats! you car looks awesome!! its great reading all that knowing i will too be able to appreciate those same things.. I just wish they would HURRY UP!!!

LOL

owl1972
09-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi, would someone be good enough to tell me what the crack is with the different coloured AMI cables I keep reading about in various posts, including this one. I have AMI, I have one cable I'm using, connecting my iPod. My car did come with another cable that's in the glove compartment. I just assumed it was for an older (or newer) ipod type connection?

EvilPostIt
09-04-2013, 08:20 PM
From what I have read the the red cable plays video the blue doesn't.

johnsimcox
09-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Cars with AMI come with 2 cables, one is a USB connection for non Apple devices and the other is either a 30pin iPod lead with a blue collar or a red collar. If you have the blue collar it works with pretty much any iPod/iPad/iPhone other than the latest ones with the smaller connector. If you have the red collar lead then it only works with iPod Touch (2g onwards) /iPhone (not 5) and iPad (not 3) and the current generation iPod Nano. With the red collar lead it will display album artwork on the MMI display and also play video/films that have been added to the device via iTunes (and when the vehicle is stationary unless you have played around with VCDS to enable video in motion). Apple devices with small connector can be connected to either cable using the Apple adaptor but this will only permit charging. Other non Apple device cables are also available (small USB and 3.5mm jack) but these are not part of the standard delivery

CORRECTION
Devices with a lightening connector (iphone 5 etc) will work with either the red or blue cable using the Apple adaptor but with the red cable you will only get album artwork not video

essex86
10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Hey johnismcox, Iv currently got the blue collar lead and was going to change it for the red, but from what your saying does it mean that the red collar won't work with my iphone 5? Will it not work at all as that lead isn't compatible with the phone? Or it won't work because the lead doesn't fit the iphone 5 due to the new charger connector? Will the red collar lead work with the 30 pin to lightning adaptor?

johnsimcox
10-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Hey johnismcox, Iv currently got the blue collar lead and was going to change it for the red, but from what your saying does it mean that the red collar won't work with my iphone 5? Will it not work at all as that lead isn't compatible with the phone? Or it won't work because the lead doesn't fit the iphone 5 due to the new charger connector? Will the red collar lead work with the 30 pin to lightning adaptor?
Seems i made an error in my previous post. The iPhone 5 and all other devices with a lightening connector will work with the red cable and the Apple adaptor (but not most other ones that lack the analogue/digital chip in them) to play music and display album art. They will however not play video. The. Blue cable will work as well but no album art or video. Hopefully before too long VAG will release a Lightening compatible lead. Apologies for the mistake

abuelbanat
10-04-2013, 09:23 AM
John you also state that the red cable play video which has been added to the phone via iTunes. This was my understanding prior to receiving the car however I can confirm the red cable allows streaming of video to the car from iPlayer and apps such as Air Video Server (videos stored on a home pc or server).

As I stated, I got the blue and swapped for a red. I'd actually have preferred to keep the blue also as the red works perfectly with iPhone 4 however doesn't work at all with my older generation iPod which I typically used in the old car with the straight forward aux jack. Might chance my arm and go back & ask for it back.