PDA

View Full Version : A3/Sportback S Tronic?

JustaMinute
02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Just a general question. Thinking of downsizing to new A3/Sportback S-Tronic. Does anyone have one who could give me their honest opinion? Would a manual be better? I know mpg is better in manual but don't do lots of miles so not really an issue.
Thanks!:D

Guest 2
02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
What are you downsizing from?

JustaMinute
02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
A4 2.0 tdi

Guest 2
02-04-2013, 08:06 PM
How much do you rely on the cabin space of the A4?

I have a facelift 8P A3 and would recommend one to anybody - 31k done in the last year and only one problem sorted by warranty.

Faultless otherwise.

The new Sportback is a lovely car, have you seen the new A3 saloon?

Nowadays DSG's are doing the same MPG as a manual car and emit the same emissions so no problem there.

Sportwag
03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=A6_Chris;798272]How much do you rely on the cabin space of the A4? [QUOTE]

I too am seriously contemplating downsizing to an A3 Sportback from an A4 Avant - don't really need two large cars (other car is a 7-seater 4x4). I will have an A3 sportback demo for 2 x days next week and this should help decide if it is viable - its a 150bhp TDi Sport as they can't get me an SLine yet. Also on the short list is an A6 S-line saloon, 3 Series M-Sport Touring (interior is way ahead of the A4/A5), A5 Sportback or another A4 Avant.

If I do end up ordering the A3, I would add the Panoramic roof and quite a few extras. Next hard part is colour choice - saw a Daytona grey in England last week. I like the look of Glacier white. Not seen a black S-Line yet.

Guest 2
04-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I might be tempted to downsize to an 8V come the time my warranty expires on the A6 so I will be waiting on your review.

I had Agnews C7 A6 SE out on loan for a few days in January time and I liked it alot (the car in general, not the SE) but don't know if I would buy one when the time comes.

I don't like BMW's - they have too many models and I went into JKC last week and got bombarded with confusion.

Are Audi supplying their own car or an Audi UK car?

Make sure to post a review if you have the time along with pictures.

I seen a OU13 A7 floating around the Ballymena Road this afternoon, very nice indeed.

Sportwag
07-04-2013, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Sportwag;798687] I will have an A3 sportback demo for 2 x days next week and this should help decide if it is viable - its a 150bhp TDi Sport as they can't get me an SLine yet. Also on the short list is an A6 S-line saloon, 3 Series M-Sport Touring (interior is way ahead of the A4/A5).

300miles and 2 x days later I can confirm that the 3 Series dash and overall build quality is not better than the A4/A5 although the car does corner like it is on rails. Looks as if I am getting one of the A3 Sportbacks used for the Recent Press launch from Audi UK. Will update on my experience next week when the Sportback arrives. Not seen any pics of a black Sportback in S Line trim yet.

Guest 2
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
It wasn't you I seen cruising about in a OE62 8V this evening?

Sportwag
09-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Yes it was either me or the Mrs. 8V is a great car, looks, drives and corners brilliantly. Fuel gauge hasn't moved at all since I got it. Smaller inside than I was expecting, the suspension has that smaller car feel (more unsettled over bumps) and there is quite a lot of road noise from the 18" wheels. Not really suitable for me (to change down from an A4) but still a great car......despite the £29k price tag......and this one is a Sport :eek:.

Guest 2
09-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Any other pics of it? I only caught a glimpse as you drove past while I was filling up in Trolans.

£29k is a shocking price though for a Sport, I think my 8P Sport was £20k new but suppose with everything it increases in price.

I like the new SB and will probably get one when my current A3 is due a change in about 2 years time.

What are you looking at next then? Staying with Audi or moving to another marque?

I don't know if you've noticed but there is a Glacier White 3 door S-Line 8V about the town and it looks awesome.

Sportwag
11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I need to reduce the file size and will post some pictures up. Apart from Cruise Control, the spec on this Sportback demonstrator was fairly comprehensive: -

18" Wheels £595
Rear Park Assist £345
Alcantara £795
Audi Sound 10 Speakers £255
Audi Connect £350
Interior Light Pack £225
Light & Rain Sensors £150
Xenons £1250
Pearl Misano £525
Storage Pack £145
Tech Pack £1495
Tyre Pressure Sensors £75

+ delivery pushing the RRP to £29k :eek:

I added 200 miles in the time I had it. The Xenon headlights are the best in any car I have driven (excellent lighting pattern that lights the road and the tops of trees) and it was really nice to be able to half fill the tank with only £25! Will make a great used purchase for someone. Off to see what the three pointed star brand has to offer......

Guest 2
11-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Thats quite a spec list and a shocking price too.

My Sport SB was £19k new but it was a standard Sport with no options bar parking sensors.

Did you enjoy it? I know you said it felt very small and it wasn't really for you but an overall impression?

If you're thinking of a 3.0 TDi Audi, then you're welcome to take my A6 for a spin ;)

Sportwag
11-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Did you enjoy it? I know you said it felt very small and it wasn't really for you but an overall impression?

Overall a great car - sporty, handles well, excellent build quality and fun to drive. Slightly more road noise from the 18"s and the 2.0TDi is noisier than in the A4 (less cladding to subdue the sound). It would make a fabulous second car but I would have a hard job convincing the other half to part with her Volvo XC!

Thanks for the offer by the way - if I had been more organised, I would have arranged to meet up.