PDA

View Full Version : My new 2.0L GT DSG in Sunset Red

Oswald1964
01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
After a long 12 week wait,I finally collected this little beauty on Friday.
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/a5ea4deddef9e2c8c41c7998abb546de_zps42bb2828.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/1aa1ee62c425d0f8df29300e5dff284f_zpsfa8e6e91.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/7ec794d1ec0c4a24aeb4a9ef6fcd933a_zps4d361bec.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/0bd7392e8d6b86f19a9f2d6889e823ee_zps9a660217.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/9ba5af075c3e6e437c58bbade9f0ed70_zpsabf6156f.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/e2af94d4a9e84142e4862c5262805603_zpsc097b710.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/df5b27d73be5fdb61b226ead36a0ebb1_zpse161b238.jpght tp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/459d48da657658b76e4540a74e4c0134_zps1f7e133c.jpg

HHGTTG
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Very nice but Polo overtones from certain angles. I have difficulty picking out the new Golf in a row of new cars. I thought that the GT came with a sunroof as standard?
Will check the configurator.

Pommyboi
01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Very nice.

Looks like a good spec. Loving the wheels.

Oswald1964
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Very nice but Polo overtones from certain angles. I have difficulty picking out the new Golf in a row of new cars. I thought that the GT came with a sunroof as standard?
Will check the configurator.

The sunroof was a £900.00 option at the dealers, when I went to order.

mactrack
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
The sunroof was a £900.00 option at the dealers, when I went to order.
And after seeing one, from the inside, in the flesh it's not worth the £900 either IMHO. How do you get the DAB Radio logos to show up?

Oswald1964
01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Very nice.

Looks like a good spec. Loving the wheels.

I was fortunate in that I previously had a BMW 5 series as a company car which wasn't my choice and I never really liked it,so when the time came for renewal,I had the same budget but free choice of car hence the quite high level spec.

Oswald1964
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Radio Station Logos
On the screen for the radio DAB,FM or AM if you press the setup logo on the lower right of the screen, a new window opens and one of the options listed is station logos when you press it, it gives you the option to import logos from an external source. I downloaded the images from the web put them on an SD card and imported from there.

Pommyboi
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Radio Station Logos
On the screen for the radio DAB,FM or AM if you press the setup logo on the lower right of the screen, a new window opens and one of the options listed is station logos when you press it, it gives you the option to import logos from an external source. I downloaded the images from the web put them on an SD card and imported from there.

Can you post the link? I downloaded some from a link on another thread but looking at your photo the icons look better than the ones I used.

If you manage to work out how to import photos from contacts on your phone or album art from an iPod that would be amazing.

Oswald1964
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Can you post the link? I downloaded some from a link on another thread but looking at your photo the icons look better than the ones I used.

If you manage to work out how to import photos from contacts on your phone or album art from an iPod that would be amazing.

I just did an image search on Google for each station I wanted, then selected the image I liked best re-sized it to as close to 500x500 as the shape would allow (some are rectangular) and saved it to the SD card.

i haven't looked at phone contact images yet, and I don't have an iPod so can't help you out there either. I bought a 64GB SDXC card from Amazon and put My music on that and album art shows no problem,I have kept the size of picture down to 500x500 I believe this is the maximum size that can be displayed, but I stand to be corrected.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/479ab373933fa5830c6355c03a6e68f1_zps7d354e00.jpg

Neil Ramsay
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Lovely pictures, congratulations on your choice of leather, I fancied the same but was persuaded by the court of public opinion to stick to black.

Wish I had stuck to original choice :(

DaveB666
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I just did an image search on Google for each station I wanted, then selected the image I liked best re-sized it to as close to 500x500 as the shape would allow (some are rectangular) and saved it to the SD card.

i haven't looked at phone contact images yet, and I don't have an iPod so can't help you out there either. I bought a 64GB SDXC card from Amazon and put My music on that and album art shows no problem,I have kept the size of picture down to 500x500 I believe this is the maximum size that can be displayed, but I stand to be corrected.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/Oswald1964/479ab373933fa5830c6355c03a6e68f1_zps7d354e00.jpg

How do you get that view on the display? It's yours a discover-pro? Mines only the 5.8" one but I've never seen that view on mine. I also am using a 64GB SDXC card

Eshrules
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Oh how I miss VAG seats - those truly are sexual.

Not a fan of the colour, but that's one of my oddity's as far as red is concerned.

I personally like how similar the golf & polo now look - how it should be imho, the polo is a very decent car it's own right - too few assume it to be the inferior sister of the golf.

Oswald1964
02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
How do you get that view on the display? It's yours a discover-pro? Mines only the 5.8" one but I've never seen that view on mine. I also am using a 64GB SDXC card

Yes you're right it is a Discover pro, when an album is playing I see the album art of the chosen album,but you can see all the other albums sort of stacked up behind the top one.if I then tap the top icon the albums fan out like in the picture, I can then scroll left and right to select the next album. Hope that makes sense.

DaveB666
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Gutted, must be a discover pro thing :(

HHGTTG
02-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Does the DAB radio auto-tune and if so does it have virtual presets and can you put the stations in the order you wish. And can you eliminate those you don't want. I only listen to about 6 radio stations, mainly BBC ones with LBC 97.3 thrown in.

So many question, I know. I wish it were possible to download the instruction manual for the one fitted to the new Golf.

lozzer
02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Does the DAB radio auto-tune and if so does it have virtual presets and can you put the stations in the order you wish. And can you eliminate those you don't want. I only listen to about 6 radio stations, mainly BBC ones with LBC 97.3 thrown in.

So many question, I know. I wish it were possible to download the instruction manual for the one fitted to the new Golf.

DAB stations are listed Nationally and locally. Choose one to listen to and then you can select where you want it stored in the presets.

Only 6 presets show on the screen (Pro) and the rest can be scrolled to. Easy to add logos to as you can see in the OP.

You can manually scan for stations. Have not seen an auto scan yet.

Oswald1964
02-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Beaten to it basically a repeat of the above:

On mine there is a list of available stations,the local ones change as you drive from area to area.you have the option to select directly from this list, which can be quite laborious if done via the steering wheel control,as there doesn't appear to be a quick scroll function.

You can also programme your favourites, by simply pressing a blank square on the radio menu whilst listening to the station you want to save,which is basically what I've done on the photo on page 1. Like you I only listen to the same few stations most of the time,so pre programming avoids the need to click your way through the whole list.you are free to have your favourites in any order you want.

HHGTTG
02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks lads for your help above. Frankly, it will only become really clear when I have my own MK7 to play with but at least you have given me some clue.
And now the electronic handbrake and Auto Hold features.......................................... .................................................: o

Oswald1964
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks lads for your help above. Frankly, it will only become really clear when I have my own MK7 to play with but at least you have given me some clue.
And now the electronic handbrake and Auto Hold features.......................................... .................................................: o

The dealer told me the auto hold feature is pretty pointless with the DSG gearbox so I've pretty much ignored it,my last 2 cars have had electronic handbrakes so I'm fairly comfortable with it and functions as you'd expect.

Evil Dan
02-04-2013, 08:41 PM
The dealer told me the auto hold feature is pretty pointless with the DSG gearbox so I've pretty much ignored it,my last 2 cars have had electronic handbrakes so I'm fairly comfortable with it and functions as you'd expect.

Your dealer is talking utter rubbish. The autohold feature is one of the best things on the new Golf. You know when you press the brake it will not move until you accelerate away again and no pfaffing about the electronic parking break at all (it's automatically left on so when I start the car and pull away it comes off and when I turn the engine off it comes on automatically) Fantastic technology.

lozzer
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Your dealer is talking utter rubbish. The autohold feature is one of the best things on the new Golf. You know when you press the brake it will not move until you accelerate away again and no pfaffing about the electronic parking break at all (it's automatically left on so when I start the car and pull away it comes off and when I turn the engine off it comes on automatically) Fantastic technology.

I agree with Evil Dan. It is one of the best features.

saints7
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM

Agree entirely. My previous car - CC with DSG - had it as well and you just don't notice it working . A true indication to me that it works well.

Oswald1964
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll defiantly be looking in to it in a bit more depth. I should really have known better.

algarve
02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I agree with Evil Dan. It is one of the best features.

+1

EssexGonzo
03-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Nice car OP. Loving the leather in that colour.

And as to the hill hold handbrake.....had it on my car for last 6 years.....works a treat.

Oswald1964
03-04-2013, 09:14 AM

And as to the hill hold handbrake.....had it on my car for last 6 years.....works a treat.

Switched it on this morning, and as you say it works a treat, Its a pity that some of the people who sell these cars, aren't as
knowlegeable as the members of this forum who actually drive them.

lozzer
03-04-2013, 09:24 AM

had a VW california with hill hold. Never worked out how and when and therefore did not trust it.

This works brilliantly.

Also love the leather... same as I mine but with black pearl :)

HHGTTG
03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Switched it on this morning, and as you say it works a treat, Its a pity that some of the people who sell these cars, aren't as
knowlegeable as the members of this forum who actually drive them.

Have you used it on steep inclines of say 10% (1 in 10) or steeper. Would it in those cases tend to release when not enough throttle had been applied. With a manual handbrake you are in complete control, so to speak and need only release same when you know that there is enough bite.

Oswald1964
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Have you used it on steep inclines of say 10% (1 in 10) or steeper. Would it in those cases tend to release when not enough throttle had been applied. With a manual handbrake you are in complete control, so to speak and need only release same when you know that there is enough bite.

maybe not quite 1:10, but there are some traffic lights on a fairly steep hill on the approach to work, had to stop there this morning and it held the car no problem, when the lights changed I just applied the throttle and as you feel the revs rise the hold releases and the car moves, all very nice.There is the standard disclaimer in the manual regarding steep or slippy surfaces.

cdgthreesalmons
21-04-2013, 03:51 PM
DaveB666

In case you dont see my query elsewhere on the forum, can I aska couple of questions.

My Discover Pro plays my ipod with no trouble. IN most cases the album artwork appears, but in some cases it seems to show a generic non specific "pop" or "classical" cover. I think the system is probably using the internal Gracenote database on the harddrive and not the ipod album images. Is this normal??

3. How can I show the album artwork on screen and then scroll though the albums, like you can on an ipod?? I note you have done it above in teh photo from an SD card.

My album art is taken from itunes11 so I am not sure what size the images are - could it be due to that??

Many thanks

Oswald1964
21-04-2013, 09:10 PM
DaveB666

In case you dont see my query elsewhere on the forum, can I aska couple of questions.

My Discover Pro plays my ipod with no trouble. IN most cases the album artwork appears, but in some cases it seems to show a generic non specific "pop" or "classical" cover. I think the system is probably using the internal Gracenote database on the harddrive and not the ipod album images. Is this normal??

3. How can I show the album artwork on screen and then scroll though the albums, like you can on an ipod?? I note you have done it above in teh photo from an SD card.

My album art is taken from itunes11 so I am not sure what size the images are - could it be due to that??

Many thanks

I don't own an IPod so I can't comment on how it interacts with th VW interface, all my album art is sized at a maximum of 500x500 and I have no problems with it displaying.

you can scroll through the albums by tapping on the uppermost picture, at which point the albums fan out like in the photo, you can then scroll left and right by dragging the screen. I have found that for some unknown reason that not all the albums on the SD card display at once, unless you go to the text based list version. maybe somebody else can explain the reason for this.

Russkiya
02-05-2013, 06:55 PM
For peeps thinking of a sunroof or Singapore wheels, heres a couple of pictures of my Sunset Red GT 150, just arrived at the dealer, with Sunroof. Picking it up tomorrow, ONLY waited since 15th January 2013.

HHGTTG
02-05-2013, 07:53 PM
For peeps thinking of a sunroof or Singapore wheels, heres a couple of pictures of my Sunset Red GT 150, just arrived at the dealer, with Sunroof. Picking it up tomorrow, ONLY waited since 15th January 2013.

Why are the tyres looking so scruffy?

Russkiya
02-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Why are the tyres looking so scruffy?

It was just delivered to the dealers showroom from the dealers holding area. So the car hasn't been prepared at this point.
The mud could be from the docks, the ship or from the dealers storage area.
I'm sure it will be spotless when I pick it up. I only went to see it as it gives a different perspective when checking it over and ensures the dealer isn't covering up any damage.
I have seen how the cars come off the ship at first hand, so it just gives me piece of mind.

Just a thought but, your new car is not so new when you think of all the people that have driven it before you.
1. Assembly line to factory car park.
2. Car park to train
3. Train to docks car park
4. Docks car park to ship
5. Ship to UK docks car park
6. Uk docks to transporter (and off at dealer)
7. Dealer to dealers parking area
8. Mechanic to preparation bay
9. + 1 to handover point where you then drive it away.

There could be more than this, I have just listed the very basic minimum from Wolfsburg to the customer.
So people talk about them getting run-in but in reality on some of the above journeys they get a good thrashing.

Dmo238
02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
So that's where my first 9 miles went!

CelticGolf
01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Our 1.6tdi SE dsg in the same colour combination is being delivered on Friday 6th June, my wife is very excited as it's her new car. Ordered in March delivered June! Let's hope it is worth the wait.
Should say that we have been Audi owners for ages and chosen the Mk7 instead of a new A3 as I had difficulty getting in and out of the new A3 AND the dealership really upset me with their very offhand manner.
Purchased this car through a broker and the suppling dealership is Listers, who have been excellent, despite selling at a big discount.
The wait begins!

DW58
15-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I ordered a 1.4TSi SE DSG in this colour yesterday, I love it.

iew100
15-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I tried to order the same combination (Sunset Red with Marrakesh leather) in a 2.0 GT TDi. The dealer informed me that the factory has made some recent changes ( not in brochure or online configurator yet) deleting this combination. According to them, you can only order black or shetland cream leather in Sunset Red cars now.

Has anyone else heard anything similar ?

DW58
15-06-2013, 09:48 PM
It's really interesting to see how many Mk7 buyers are opting for DSG as opposed to around three years back when I bought my current Mk6. I had wanted DSG then, but Volkswagen couldn't supply one in the timescale I wanted, but it doesn't seem to be any problem now.

My Mother is now on her third DSG/S-Tronic, so I've driven them quite a lot, really excited about getting mine now as I'm partially disabled and it'll make life a lot easier for me.

beanio
27-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I was just admiring the photos of your car, thinking how good it looked, I particularly like the Serrano alloys. I then cam across the photos of your interior, dear god, just what were you thinking when you chose that awful colour for you leather seats?
Sorry for the negative comments, I love the car but think you made a huge mistake with those seats. (IMO)

lozzer
27-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I was just admiring the photos of your car, thinking how good it looked, I particularly like the Serrano alloys. I then cam across the photos of your interior, dear god, just what were you thinking when you chose that awful colour for you leather seats?
Sorry for the negative comments, I love the car but think you made a huge mistake with those seats. (IMO)

Interior combo looks good IMO.

What colours have you chosen?

Pics would be good.

DW58
27-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I've got an SE 1.4TSi on order in Sunset Red, I think it's a lovely colour. I considered opting for the Shetland Zoom fabric seats, but decided to stay with the standard Titan Black Zoom because it will be easier to keep clean.

I think the Shetland Vienna Leather looks fine, but IMO Volkswagen's price for leather on the Golf (list £2,065 extra) is outrageous and something I just couldn't justify. I have to ask why a leather interior on the Golf is almost double the price of that on the comparable Audi A3 (£1,115 extra)?

beanio
27-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I've ordered a GT tdi, in Tungsten silver and the 18" Serrano alloys. Everything else will be standard spec. I ordered in June so should hopefully arrive as close to 1st September as possible, I'm so excited which is why I keep coming on foruns like this, don't know if it helps or makes it worse though.

CelticGolf
27-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Our 1.6tdi DSG SE is Sunset Red with the Shetland fabric interior and it is eye catching. Many have commented how nice the combination is. Ours was the first Mk7 our dealer had seen and they were very impressed. IMO, colour combination body/interior is a matter for personal preference. We think its nice to have something that is NOT black inside a car.

DW58
27-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I'd be interested to see that combination for real - any chance of some photos.

I'm afraid to say I chickened out of ordering that combination although I do like the look of it. I'm rather peeved that we don't have the Alcantara options available in some countries.

Oswald1964
29-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Our 1.6tdi DSG SE is Sunset Red with the Shetland fabric interior and it is eye catching. Many have commented how nice the combination is. Ours was the first Mk7 our dealer had seen and they were very impressed. IMO, colour combination body/interior is a matter for personal preference. We think its nice to have something that is NOT black inside a car.

Ive seen that combination,and it does look good.As you say colour combinations are a personal thing, and I'm really happy with mine.