PDA

View Full Version : Wind noise and mpg

chucky
28-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Just did a 400 mile trip. Car was very comfortable except for the constant wind noise near my right ear - almost like the window was slightly open. The mpg overall was 39 at an average speed of 42mph.

Wuffles
28-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Sounds about right to me. Well, not "right", but accurate.

Speaking of noises, I've got a new noise now. When you shut any of the doors, you get a noise like one or other of the doors or panels is sort of thumping in unison as the air tries to escape, which makes sense as it's got to go somewhere, but it's a disconcerting noise to me. Perhaps others have it and it's fine.

chucky
29-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Sounds about right to me. Well, not "right", but accurate.

Speaking of noises, I've got a new noise now. When you shut any of the doors, you get a noise like one or other of the doors or panels is sort of thumping in unison as the air tries to escape, which makes sense as it's got to go somewhere, but it's a disconcerting noise to me. Perhaps others have it and it's fine.
Perhaps that's a good sign - that your car is properly sealed. Do you get the constant wind noise at speeds over 50?

Wuffles
29-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't think so, lots of road noise to mask it perhaps. Be a miracle if ours didn't though.

chucky
29-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I don't think so, lots of road noise to mask it perhaps. Be a miracle if ours didn't though.
They sure ain't the quietest car ever! I had a Lexus GS450h last year for a few months with a 3.5l V6 petrol engine. It was much quieter but a bit heavy on the juice - about 35 overall. The A6 is no better however on that front.

Wuffles
29-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Looking at an RX400 or RX450 (I think those are the models) perhaps as a replacement for the Audi. Won't be a new one though, faaar too much money. How'd you get on with your Lexus?

jbanfie
29-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Wuffles, I had two RX400h's - don't bother with 450h, sat nav is not as usable and they are heavy and expensive. Look for the Executive Limited Edition version of 400h which was the last of the batch in 2009 - very very good car although with the CVT box pick up is slow, kind of similar to the kick down delay on a tip-tronic Bi-Turbo funnily enough. Also, the hybrid drive is great, but to get any kind of mpg - up to 37 say, you've got to tip-toe around and the most efficient speed is about 38mph, which gets boring real quick and is one of the reason's I switched to Audi diesel. A neighbour of mine had a 400h and just drove it, his long term mpg was 25!!!!

Wuffles
29-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Okey dokey, appreciated. I recall you saying you had a Lexus before, just assumed it was a more A7 sort of type thing.

We're not expecting any kind of great mpg from something like that. We're trying to replace the Land Rover and the A6 in one, so it's a toss-up between the Lexus or an X5 or ?? . Short runs to and from the train station for the missus, occasional driving holiday and sometimes tearing out a tree stump from the orchard (I may or may not be joking).

Sorry to hijack a thread, but any other suggestions to look at from anyone?

chucky
29-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Looking at an RX400 or RX450 (I think those are the models) perhaps as a replacement for the Audi. Won't be a new one though, faaar too much money. How'd you get on with your Lexus?
The GS450h (new model) was a lovely car = quiet, fast, smooth riding, brilliant stereo, great build. The downsides were rather poor xenons, only average mpg(35), smallish boot.

owl1972
29-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Chucky, how old is your A6? As soon as I picked my car up, when I got on the motorway for a short stretch, returning home from the dealer, I too noticed wind noise in my right ear and immediately went to shut the window. It was already up. I went back to the dealer a few days later, and I don't really know what they did, but they resolved it anyway.

chucky
29-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi Chucky, how old is your A6? As soon as I picked my car up, when I got on the motorway for a short stretch, returning home from the dealer, I too noticed wind noise in my right ear and immediately went to shut the window. It was already up. I went back to the dealer a few days later, and I don't really know what they did, but they resolved it anyway.
It's only 3 months old. Wish I knew what the dealer did. I'm loathe to bring it in to let them mess with it.

harryg
31-03-2013, 02:22 AM
My A6 is 9 days old and touch wood (hairy) I have no problems with wind noise apart from the beans.............:biglaugh:

johnsimcox
31-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Just did a 400 mile trip. Car was very comfortable except for the constant wind noise near my right ear - almost like the window was slightly open. The mpg overall was 39 at an average speed of 42mph.
Sounds as if the door seal is not doing its job and leaving a small gap. Might be worth smearing some vaseline on the door where the seal should touch, shut the door and then open it. If the vaseline has not transferred onto the rubber seal evenly you will (hopefully) have your answer and the dealer should deal with it without any issue

chucky
31-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Sounds as if the door seal is not doing its job and leaving a small gap. Might be worth smearing some vaseline on the door where the seal should touch, shut the door and then open it. If the vaseline has not transferred onto the rubber seal evenly you will (hopefully) have your answer and the dealer should deal with it without any issue
Thanks, I'll try that. Happy Easter!

Wuffles
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Right, turned the radio off today and I think I can understand what all the fuss is about with regard wind noise. Yes sounds like the window isn't fully shut, never heard it on the passenger side.

Avid followers of our cursed A6 may recall the drivers' door seal falling off the car onto Mrs Wuffles as she disembarked once upon a time, which was then given a clean bill of health by Bristol Audi, the seal, not Mrs Wuffles.

Anyone found out what the cause is and whether or not it's not listed as a "known" fault on their systems? Don't want them hooning around on motorways trying to replicate the sound.

abuelbanat
02-04-2013, 08:51 PM
A6 is 10 days old - I don't think the wind noise is excessive however if I turn radio off then certainly at speed it's there. It's not however a problem for me as radio or iPod is almost 100% used.

What I would contribute though is in the 10 days I've had it Ive probably had to re-shut the drivers door a dozen or so times.... I even came back from a shopping trip to find it not closed (ergo not locked) properly as I obviously didn't check. It seems to not want to easily close and needs a heavy movement by me to ensure its closed? Possible seal problem there?

johnsimcox
04-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Chucky, had another thought on this. You don't by any chance have the 4 zone climate system do you? If so it may be that the vent in the B-Pillar is almost closed but not completely meaning the air is passing through a small gap and making a whistle. If you only have the standard 2-Zone system then it would not be the cause, as there is no B-Pillar vent. Also I assume you checked the window in the rear door is fully closed as well

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Mine's the 2 zone if it's any help.

chucky
04-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks for that and yes I do have the 4-zone. But I had checked that out and experimented with it open and shut. I also checked the rear windows. It definitely seems to me to be wind turbulance caused by the wing mirrors. How is your car re. wind noise at speeds above 60mph?

chucky
04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Mine's the 2 zone if it's any help. I know you have had many issues and you have my deepest sympathy. I hope you get a satisfactory result in the end.
But how is your car re wind noise?

Whippy53
04-04-2013, 04:17 PM
There do seems to be a few posts re wind noise caused by the mirrors, also noticed in one or two reviews it being mentioned. Seems to be a shame as it spoils an otherwise nice ambience.

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I'd never noticed it in the passenger seat, but in the driver's side with no music playing it's certainly noticeable. Just wondered if it could be anything at all to do with the seal not being on correctly. I'd have to double check it though I guess.

Timothy Nathan
04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I get a bit of wind noise and I have folding mirrors - could that be the common feature?

chucky
04-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I get a bit of wind noise and I have folding mirrors - could that be the common feature?
I don't have the folding mirrors!

Timothy Nathan
04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Side Assist?

Wuffles
04-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Have folding mirrors but not side assist.

Timothy Nathan
04-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Oh well, bang goes those theories;)

johnsimcox
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I listened in my car last night and I there is a bit of noise when I turn off the radio and I think it is coming through the slider panel for the seat belt height adjustment rather than the door seal. It got me thinking that in fact they have removed so much other noise from the car that we are now finding even the smallest noise noticeable.

Timothy Nathan
05-04-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.businesscomputingworld.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Rolls-Royce.jpg

johndice
19-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Just acquired a 2013 A6, 6 months old. Getting a wind noise/whistle in my right ear from about 40 mph upwards which is driving me nuts. Local dealer unable to locate the problem. Did you guys manage to solve your problem and if so what did you do?

Wuffles
19-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Just acquired a 2013 A6, 6 months old. Getting a wind noise/whistle in my right ear from about 40 mph upwards which is driving me nuts. Local dealer unable to locate the problem. Did you guys manage to solve your problem and if so what did you do?

Not here. Dealer r̶e̶f̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶k̶n̶o̶w̶l̶e̶d̶g̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ looked into it and that's where it ended.

chucky
20-01-2014, 10:44 AM
I got rid of the car - the wind noise just wouldn't go away no matter what I tried - a bit like tinnitus! I believe there is meant to be a known dealer fix - something about a seal near the wing mirror.

johndice
22-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Finally managed to get to the bottom of the whistling wind noise - which was not wind noise at all. After all my taping of doors, wing mirrors and anything else I could think of, a second trip to the dealers and a day of them trying all sorts, it turned out to be a faulty wheel bearing. Nice quiet car now. Happy bunny.