PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear thoughts?

kennyh
28-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi guys

I've a 3.0TDI Quattro with approx 20k on it, and I've started to notice a certain spongy type feel when cornering; which is leaving me less confident with corners/ manoeuvres.

Tread on my fronts does look a little low, although certainly still legal.

Of course with the cold weather (as it has been for the last few weeks) traction will be affected.

How have you been doing with your tyres? What sort of life expectancy should they have?

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1's 255/40 R19 on the corners right now.

Or perhaps I've another issue that needs to be looked??

JimC64
28-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi there, if you do ned new tyres at some point some check these out.....Barum Bravuris 2

see thread link below...

Tyres: Barum bravaris 2 245 40 18 97 Y XL - Page 8 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?136005-Tyres-Barum-bravaris-2-245-40-18-97-Y-XL&p=788851#post788851)

I have covered over 1M miles in the last 20 years and onely ever used Pirelli / Conto / Bridgestone, but for the 19"'s at around £1200 for the set its a litle pricey.

Not wanting to compromise performance and safety I did loads of research and found these, made by Conti in Czech Republic and around £600 for the set.

Most things such as temp rating / noise rating / treadwear etc are similar.....They offer slightly less grip but are harder wearing, a really good mid range tyre.
Quite a few here and on other sites have went for them and also gave good reviews, perhaps something to look into when doing your research in the future?

If you think you have issues its gotta be worthwhile forking out for a tracking session on the car.

Good luck

Guest 2
28-03-2013, 09:05 PM
I had Michelin PS2 (255/35/19) on my A6 and the fronts lasted 31k - 50/50 mix of town/motorway. The rears still have 2mm left and will need replacing soon.

The fronts still had 2mm also, but due to bad tracking on my car, they wouldn't pass the MOT.

They cost me £1000 - on offer, originally £1400.

I will be going Michelin again when the rears wear down, currently Uniroyal Rain Sport on the front until then.

I would be getting the tracking checked and a quattro laser alignment which Audi do for £100.

Oh, I had Goodyear Eagle F1s on before the Michelin, and they only lasted 12k! :confused:

The car was tracked and that mileage was 100% motorway.

kennyh
30-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the Goodyears are made of putty or wax!

Looks like I should be looking for a change soon.