PDA

View Full Version : Trade in value

robob123
25-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Just out of interest really, has anyone traded in an A6 C7 recently, to give an idea of value and depreciation? We must be approaching the time when the first cars sold on Audi finance are getting chopped back in for new ones. I wonder has the promotion on new cars, hit the trade in value, or will it genuinely have reduced the cost of ownership? My car was bought 1 year ago with 19% discount on list price. I might be tempted to do an early trade in if its only lost say 25% of list in the year.

Wuffles
25-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I was offered £22k today by a Sytner dealership.

A6 Avant, 2.0 Multi, Tech pack, panoramic sunroof, heated seats, folding mirrors, MMI Plus, colour DIS & 19" alloys. 15k miles. White with privacy glass.

Privately on Auto-trader they are going for £30k, given it has more than 2 years remaining on the warranty you'd be mental to trade it in.

Unless the Audi dealers on Auto-trader are p*ssing in the wind at £30k, mine will be going on eBay motors for around that price I think in a matter of weeks. If it's only worth £22k, it's going on the bonfire or down a cliff.

jbanfie
26-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Just type your reg into webuyanycar.com and weep, I was offered 5 grand less than the webuyanycar.com price for trade in as no one wants second hand stock, especially when they all have to keep buying demonstrators and flog those ones on to the punters. You have to keep the car for a considerable amount of time just to get some value? from it. Anyone want a 6 month old BI-Turbo A7 S-line, 3000 miles, in Daytona Grey with tech pack, air suspension etc list price 63K yours for 44K? The only way to sell is privately to get any value.

Wuffles
26-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Oh you won't lose money on a BMW...residuals on an Audi are always very high due to the quality...you won't lose money on an old Land Rover, they go up if anything.

Made £200 profit on a 22 year old Land Rover Defender I sold at the weekend, that's the only true statement I've heard from a car sales parasite, ever.

Wuffles
26-03-2013, 11:34 AM
JBanfie, you're absolutely right. Webuyanycar are offering £2k more than Audi for our car, still would be madness to sell at that price, but shows how much Audi care IMO.

jk88
26-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Just out of interest really, has anyone traded in an A6 C7 recently, to give an idea of value and depreciation? We must be approaching the time when the first cars sold on Audi finance are getting chopped back in for new ones. I wonder has the promotion on new cars, hit the trade in value, or will it genuinely have reduced the cost of ownership? My car was bought 1 year ago with 19% discount on list price. I might be tempted to do an early trade in if its only lost say 25% of list in the year.

Depreciation of 25% in the first year may be about right (or a little optimistic), however that will be from the starting point of list less the 20% discount that is the norm currently, so think 40% off list as a trade in.

I bought a used A7 last year from my local Audi dealer, just over a year old, list 66k, paid 34k. Take into account the dealer margin and I expect the previous owner got less than 30k for it - ouch.

Unless you intend to keep your car for several years or someone else is paying for the depreciation, buying used has its merits.

robob123
26-03-2013, 07:32 PM
We buy any car are quoting £23k for mine (2l s line, avant, Daytona, heated front seats, 19", 15k m 1 yr old) think final invoice when bought new was just less than £30k. Crazy thing is audi would sell my car 2nd hand for the new price! Goes to show how important it is to do new car homework. There must be people who walk off the street and pay list, then get hit for vast depreciation. After all, not all cars come with such discounts...... Land rover discovery 4 for instance. I notice the BMW 5 now has similar finance deposit promo on offer to the audi deal now.

jbanfie
26-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Well, at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice, jk88 clearly got a nice A7 at someone else's expense. First year depreciation is always going to hurt, but the value levels out and the model lives and dies on it's merits. Hopefully the Audi's will still be looking good in 5 to 7 years time compared with BMW's and Merc's and from what I've seen, I think that will be true.

belly buster
26-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Just type your reg into webuyanycar.com and weep, I was offered 5 grand less than the webuyanycar.com price for trade in as no one wants second hand stock, especially when they all have to keep buying demonstrators and flog those ones on to the punters. You have to keep the car for a considerable amount of time just to get some value? from it. Anyone want a 6 month old BI-Turbo A7 S-line, 3000 miles, in Daytona Grey with tech pack, air suspension etc list price 63K yours for 44K? The only way to sell is privately to get any value.

Why are you looking to sell after 6 months?

jbanfie
27-03-2013, 09:18 AM
For me, and it's a personal thing, I can't get on with the tip-tronic box, many love it, but it's not for me. So then you're a bit stuck, the value of the car is only going down, so if you want out, in some ways the sooner the better? The car is fantastic, exterior looks, all the tech, I've had a tow bar fitted, bought VCDS etc etc etc - but if someone put 44K in my hand it's theirs. Sadly this is not going to happen, so my solution is either to buy a manual 911 or perhaps the new A45 AMG Mercedes and keep the A7 as we still need something to get the holiday luggage in and take skiing!

retired99
27-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Recently sold a BMW F11 and have ordered an Allroad as replacement.

Trying to do a trade in deal with several Audi dealers produced quite varying results and some interesting insights on how straightforward some dealers are and some aren’t.

I was offered below the ’webuyanycar’ figure on one a couple of occasions. Got a couple of sensible trade in offers but ended up selling to an independent trader who focuses on what you might call the quality car market, Audi, BMW etc. This means he has contacts with the various dealers and is on the list of people they call when trying to get a value for a potential trade in. He recognised my BMW from one such contact and told me how much he had offered the dealer. This was some £3k more than the dealer offered me. I have no problem with the Audi dealer trying to make a profit on the deal. What I do have a problem with is being lied to by dealers. If the dealer had said words to the effect of ‘the best I can offer you is £x’ then OK, but when I’m told ‘that’s what I’ve been offered for the car and I’m not making any money out of it’ then I’m being lied to. I’m not naïve and expect the dealer to try to make the best deal he can for himself, after all I’m trying to do the same for myself.

As with buying my BMW I ended up talking to a couple of dealers, and some online brokers (Drivethedeal etc.) who acted in a professional and competent manner. There are some good dealers out there, but, it seems to me, there are more bad ones.

Wandering slightly off topic, as part of my buying process I looked at buying a nearly new A6, usually ex demo cars. Most of the asking prices are bonkers, you could easily get a new car for less, the descriptions are often inaccurate and the standard of preparation woeful. Kerbed alloys being commonplace and ‘parking dings’ and the like left unrepaired.

Finally, and despite the poor quality of the information on the Audi site and in the new car brochures does anyone else discover that they know more about the car than the salesman?

Allroad_2013
27-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Finally, and despite the poor quality of the information on the Audi site and in the new car brochures does anyone else discover that they know more about the car than the salesman?

All the time! But then I am interested in cars and don't make spontaneous decisions on major purchases such cars, etc. Hence I'll study brochures (though Audi's aren't up to much), websites, reviews and tests, etc., so that by the time I actually talk to anyone I've probably absorbed more information then the car salesperson ever would.

However, generally these days I prefer to deal with on-line brokers as they generally treat you better, don't patronise you and give you the best prices without the faux hardship stories. But that is also because I don't px anything, preferring to sell privately.

EvilPostIt
27-03-2013, 11:37 AM

I feel this is the case with anything I want to go and discuss with any salesman to be quite honest. TV's, cars even washing machines! Basically any purchases over about £500!

EvilPostIt
27-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Trying to do a trade in deal with several Audi dealers produced quite varying results

Out of interest, which dealers did you go to and what results did you get from each? (Ie which were the favourable ones?)

retired99
28-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Out of interest, which dealers did you go to and what results did you get from each? (Ie which were the favourable ones?)

I tried to deal with Camberley Audi and Guildford Audi(both Colborne). Neither competitive on price. Camberley offered me less than ‘webuyanycar’ for my trade in and discounts on the new car were less than elsewhere.

Epsom Audi were not good on trade in but once I’d sold my car privately they were willing to match the best deal I’d found. Without the price match incentive I doubt I’d have got as low an offer from them as I did. I needed to give them some proof of the deal I’d been offered, until them they wouldn’t match the price. They gave me a car for the day for an extended test drive. The reason I didn’t buy from them was their delivery date was later than the dealer I bought from.

I bought from Audi Slough (Sytner). PX offer, which I didn’t use, was reasonable and the discount good. Easy and straightforward to deal with.

EvilPostIt
28-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I tried to deal with Camberley Audi and Guildford Audi(both Colborne). Neither competitive on price. Camberley offered me less than ‘webuyanycar’ for my trade in and discounts on the new car were less than elsewhere.

Epsom Audi were not good on trade in but once I’d sold my car privately they were willing to match the best deal I’d found. Without the price match incentive I doubt I’d have got as low an offer from them as I did. I needed to give them some proof of the deal I’d been offered, until them they wouldn’t match the price. They gave me a car for the day for an extended test drive. The reason I didn’t buy from them was their delivery date was later than the dealer I bought from.

I bought from Audi Slough (Sytner). PX offer, which I didn’t use, was reasonable and the discount good. Easy and straightforward to deal with.

Oh goody! My order is with Camberley Audi and arrives in 6-8 weeks! This should be interesting...

Wuffles
28-03-2013, 10:16 AM
I tell you what I'd like to see happen with a vague trade-in figure pre-determined at point of sale. Someone playing hard ball and walking away from the showroom plus cancelling the sale on the day of collection (when presumably the hard sell of the trade-in takes place). What happens then? Would you get all your money back?

retired99
28-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Oh goody! My order is with Camberley Audi and arrives in 6-8 weeks! This should be interesting...

Does this mean that you have placed an order leaving the PX value to be set when the delivery occurred? That's going to be a one sided negotiation.

I have to say, and I realise this isn't being particularly helpful given you are probably committed, that when looking at a deal which involved a PX I've looked for the dealer to put a 'floor' value on the car at the delivery date. In my experience they do seem willing to do this.

Given that your delivery isn't too far away I would check with them to see what effect the absence of a PX would be and start trying to sell the car privately.

retired99
28-03-2013, 10:29 AM

How about visiting them now and tell them that you want to agree a PX value now or the deal is off?

Prior to doing this look at what you can get from the likes of 'webuyanycar' and contact some other dealers or 'drivethedeal' to find out what can be delivered when and for what price. Use this as a negotiating tool.

Does anyone know if you can cancel without losing the deposit?

How big was the deposit, would you be willing to lose it? It might make sense in the context of an overall deal.

Wuffles
28-03-2013, 10:31 AM
See my point above. Don't you have a fixed period of time to walk away from a new vehicle anyway without loss?

EvilPostIt
28-03-2013, 12:15 PM
How about visiting them now and tell them that you want to agree a PX value now or the deal is off?

Prior to doing this look at what you can get from the likes of 'webuyanycar' and contact some other dealers or 'drivethedeal' to find out what can be delivered when and for what price. Use this as a negotiating tool.

Does anyone know if you can cancel without losing the deposit?

How big was the deposit, would you be willing to lose it? It might make sense in the context of an overall deal.

The original negotiations for valuing the car for PX value 6 weeks before so that it gives me the option to be able so sell, so yes this had already been taken into account and I have set up a meeting for around the 6 of April to do this. To be quite honest i have approached the whole deal from the perspective of this being the beginning of a relationship between myself and the dealer and if they treat me right then I will continue coming to them in the future for both myself and the other half. I have no problem with making it very clear to the dealer that there will be no further business between myself and them if they don't come up with a fair price, but obviously there are other fallback options (ie private sale etc).

The level of discount on drivethedeal is at the same level where i can pull out and order from there instead and not be worse off even if i loose my deposit. Although the discount price has increased since i originally placed my order.

rickerby
28-03-2013, 12:19 PM
I got around 24% discount when I bought my car last June, ending up paying £25,500 for a 2.0TDi S-line with a few extras. I would be more than happy to be offered £22K for it now. Have absolutely no intention of changing it yet mind. Still feels as though I only recently got it!

31-03-2013, 12:54 PM
The original negotiations for valuing the car for PX value 6 weeks before so that it gives me the option to be able so sell, so yes this had already been taken into account and I have set up a meeting for around the 6 of April to do this. To be quite honest i have approached the whole deal from the perspective of this being the beginning of a relationship between myself and the dealer and if they treat me right then I will continue coming to them in the future for both myself and the other half. I have no problem with making it very clear to the dealer that there will be no further business between myself and them if they don't come up with a fair price, but obviously there are other fallback options (ie private sale etc).

The level of discount on drivethedeal is at the same level where i can pull out and order from there instead and not be worse off even if i loose my deposit. Although the discount price has increased since i originally placed my order.

Sorry, but you're nuts. No firm price agreed now? They will have your pants down come delivery!

EvilPostIt
31-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Sorry, did you read my previous post? Im not waiting until the day before i pickup the car! Getting it valued in December would have been pointless as when it was delivered they would have just said its worth less! I'm getting it valued 6 weeks before pickup and if they don't give me what I see as a fair price I will sell privately.

EvilPostIt
31-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Repost... Sorry

Who's Audi?
05-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Audi offered me to swap my current A6 2.0D SE a year old for a new one with the same finance agreement. It's done over 5400 miles and they offered me part ex value of £22K :confused:

AGW82
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Mine will be going back early May and the dealer offered £20k with a predicted 35k miles on the clock (spec in signature), we buy any car offered £15.5k based on 31k miles.

essex86
10-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Hey AGW82, what plate is your current car, is it the 11 plate? and what dealer are you trading in with?

AGW82
10-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Hey AGW82, what plate is your current car, is it the 11 plate? and what dealer are you trading in with?

Hi essex86, yes it's an 11 plate, I use Derby Audi who are part of the Sytner group, they have always looked after me and in return myself and my family have used them for years. If you wanted to give them a call, Colin Harvey is the man you want, and tell him Andy White advised you to call :D