PDA

View Full Version : Snow

DaveB666
25-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Surprised I'm the first to post about this.

Just wanted to say my Golf 2.0GT is amazing in the snow. It's got Pirelli tyres - unsure of the model but they're not snow/winter tyres.
Over the last 3 days I've been the only person to be able to get off the cul-de-sac where I live, and this morning drove around an audi quattro that was stuck trying to go up a hill.

Truly awesome engineering/tyres/electronics - whichever bit of the car is helping me!

Very very impressed.

Doctle Odd
25-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm sitting looking at the soft Irish snow falling on the hard Irish concrete and the stupid collie

zollaf
25-03-2013, 10:42 AM
i'm sat here wondering what all the fuss is about, not even a single flak has fallen. bit on the chilly side though.

DaveB666
25-03-2013, 10:50 AM
i'm sat here wondering what all the fuss is about, not even a single flak has fallen. bit on the chilly side though.

LOL - I'm in Yorkshire. This photo was taken yesterday

zollaf
25-03-2013, 10:57 AM
holy cow, thats what you call snow.

maisbitt
25-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Surprised I'm the first to post about this.

Just wanted to say my Golf 2.0GT is amazing in the snow. It's got Pirelli tyres - unsure of the model but they're not snow/winter tyres.
Over the last 3 days I've been the only person to be able to get off the cul-de-sac where I live, and this morning drove around an audi quattro that was stuck trying to go up a hill.

Truly awesome engineering/tyres/electronics - whichever bit of the car is helping me!

Very very impressed.

If you have P7 pirelli's on then be prepared to replace them early. Mine on the Scirocco 170TDI were screwed on the fronts after 11k miles. No I didn't hammer it - they wore away to nothing on the centres, as if massively overinflated, yet were consistently inflated to 0.1 bar below VW recommendations inside the fuel filler cap. Looking at the nearly new car lot of my local dealership showed a lot of other VWs with the same issue (mainly other Sciroccos and Passats with 18" wheels). The outside edges of the front tyres still had 7mm left on them. VW wouldn't entertain the claim that either my suspension geometry was way out, or VWs recommendations resulted in overinflation, or the Pirellis were defective (unlikely), despite me demonstrating seven other cars at one dealership with the same issue. Something to watch out for! Hopefully it won't plague the Golf 7.

DaveB666
25-03-2013, 03:31 PM
If you have P7 pirelli's on then be prepared to replace them early.

I'll keep an eye on that for safety's sake, but I'm not too concerned though. Tyres are paid for by my employer.