PDA

View Full Version : help with 95m passat please

alcot33uk
24-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi gang,
thanks for looking (if you are..).
I have 1995M Passat saloon GL with 4 x electric windows.
The drivers window does not work, without ripping everything to pieces is there a fuse anywhere I need to look at?

Secondly it has the Climatronic air-con. When the car is started the display flashes for several seconds. The air coming out on cold is warm (so I am presuming that it needs regassing?).

Lastly when started the auto choke does not come on instantly and therefore needs a bootful of revs and to be driven immediately, or for me to hold it at 1500 revs for 45 seconds to a minute. Then when driving sometimes the idle stays at 1500 unless you lift the clutch and reduce it, when it will stay like that for a while. I know very little of cars but think that this may just be a cable issue? something that needs greasing (ooh-err).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex

PS first VW, definitely not the last, wow!

alcot33uk
24-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Sorry, 2.0 litre 16 valve

scotty33
26-08-2007, 10:30 PM
There will likely be a relay rather than just a fuse, which controls the windows. The older model passat had a control unit under the back seat, don't know if this continued through to your model?
Not sure about the aircon, it could need a regas. Does it sound like anything happens when you turn this on?
The cold start problem could be a problem with the temp sender for the ECU. It is on the end of the head, next to the distributor on the 9A engine, probably same on the ABF? This sensor tells the ECU the engine is cold and needs enrichment, if faulty, the ECU could 'see' the engine as always warmed up. Unplugging this sensor, may cause the cold enrichment to come on, do not run it like this for long, as it will harm the catalyst and your wallet!
As you have idle problems, both symptoms could be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere on the intake system. Air being sucked in where it should not be could cause poor cold running and variable idle. If you cannot find any split/loose hoses, it is more likely to be a temp sender (as above) and a 'sticky' Idle Stabilisation Valve. The ISV helps control idle speed. It is electrically operated, the cure is to spray carb cleaner through the mechanical end, or soak/rinse with petrol. On the ABF, it is located on the inlet manifold, between cyl 2&3 fitted to a 'grommet', it has another pipe, which comes across to the main air intake trunking.