PDA

View Full Version : 7 Speed DSG on TDI

Huftons
23-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Noticed today that VW now offer the Tiguan Tdi models (140 or 177 PS) with a 7 speed DSG.

Doesn't seem to be available in any other models (including the new Golf) but interesting that this box is now available with the higher torque TDIs. I think Audi have been offering a 7 speed DSG on their TDIs for a while though.

Wonder if this will be replacing the older 6 speed unit.

J400uk
23-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Noticed today that VW now offer the Tiguan Tdi models (140 or 177 PS) with a 7 speed DSG.

Doesn't seem to be available in any other models (including the new Golf) but interesting that this box is now available with the higher torque TDIs. I think Audi have been offering a 7 speed DSG on their TDIs for a while though.

That's interesting as it had previously been said the 7-speed has a torque limit hence its only offered on the smaller engines. Shame as the 6-speed is smoother.

h5djr
23-03-2013, 03:38 PM
There is a 7-speed version that is offered by Audi on models with a longitudinally mounted engines rather than the VW and A3 transverse engines.

The lower torque models in the A3 range (1.2TFSI, 1.4TFSI, 1.8TFSI and 1.6TDI) are offered with a 7-speed DSG but the 2.0 TDI is has the 6-speed DSG because of the extra torque.

Drifter699
30-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi guys, I have just taken delivery of a Tiguan 2.0 SE 4-motion 140bhp with the 7-Speed DSG gearbox and I have to say it's exceptionally smooth.
i was concerned, having had a Toyota RAV with the CVT gearbox, that an "ordinary" Automatic might be a bit jerky. I tried the diesel automatic RAV which felt a bit like driving a small lorry, whereas the Tiguan with 7 Speed DSG box was so smooth I ordered one straight away.

J400uk
13-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Did anyone ever find out why the Tiguan seems to be the only 2.0 TDI VW/ Audi that gets the 7-speed DSG? I've been told the 177PS unit is lifted straight from the Q3 but its mated with a 6-speed DSG in that :S

h5djr
23-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Looking at the VW website the 7-speed DSG is available on the 4-motion models, which are the VW equivalent of the Audi quattro system. Audi have developed the DSG or s-tronic in Audi terms to use with it's higher torque quattro models. It is a different gearbox to the normal 7-speed box used by VW and Audi on the lower torque models.

The 6-speed 'non-quattro' gearbox is generally regarded as the better of the two 'non-quattro' versions. I have owned four Audi A3s with the 6-speed s-tronic and have test driven a couple of cars with the 7-speed version and personally I think the 6-speed is much better and smoother in operation than the 7-speed.

a8toa6convert
25-10-2013, 10:22 AM
If the 7 speed DSG being fitted to some higher torque VW models is the same as the one fitted to higher torque Audis, then it's a peach. I had a new shape A6 3.0tdi Quattro with that box, and it never put a foot wrong. Pretty much as smooth as the 8 speed conventional auto everyone praises in the A6 BiTdi and the A8, also in latest 5 series, but with extra "directness" of drive.