PDA

View Full Version : which air filter / induction kit gives the best performance on a 1.9 tdi (150bhp)

metal nut
20-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi I tried looking but not having much luck but if I was to replace my standard air box what give the best performance a cone air filter, an induction kit or other and which ever item you recommend please can you state what you feel is best and which make / model

vwcabriolet1971
21-03-2013, 08:26 AM
This question has beeen raised many times before. Briefly a standard diesel engine's induction system is designed to provide excess air to ensure all the fuel is burnt.If all the fuel wasn't burnt then the unburnt fuel would exit the exhaust as smoke and pollutants.Imagine what this would do to emission levels ! Maintaining the correct mixture of fuel and air is essential to get the best engine performance and to meet the emission standards .To get more power out of a diesel engine requires increasing the fueling. Considerable extra engine power can be achieved by "chipping" to increase the fueling rate whilst still using the standard induction system. This is because the std. system can cope with mild fuelling increases.
Sticking a "performance" filter on a standard diesel engine is a bit like putting running shorts on your granny - she may look quite sporty but she can't run any faster.

zollaf
21-03-2013, 10:15 AM
indeed, it would add some bling to your engine bay but do nothing for performance. put the money you have jst saved towards something more useful like a remap.

metal nut
21-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok guys im not fussed on what these look like but surely better air flow is better???
And if not an induction kit what about a good panel filter like a KN or Green cotton

zollaf
21-03-2013, 12:00 PM
do they flow any better than stock ? do they require oiling ? does the oil get sucked off and affect the amm ? do they make any difference to a turbocharged diesel engine ?

Doctle Odd
21-03-2013, 12:13 PM
The air goes through too many pipes and an inter-cooler to make any difference IMO, there's nowhere for a K&N or induction get to get more cold air because of the way the TDi induction is set up. As Zollaf said "get a re-map". You'll spend half the cost of a remap on eye candy

vwcabriolet1971
21-03-2013, 04:05 PM
If you fit an "oiled" panel filter , the oil will deposit on the MAF sensor wire and play havoc with the fuelling as controlled by the ECU.
Question - Why would you fit a "performance" filter to increase the airflow if the engine is already supplied with excess air ? You are confusing airflow with power. In a diesel it's the fueling rate that determines power.

zollaf
21-03-2013, 04:13 PM
alternatively, get either a panel filter or full induction kit if you want, and see if it does help make more power. let us know the results though.

Havelin150
11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I had the same thoughts when I wanted to get a panel filter, I have an email reply from K&N if anyone wants it posted. Been running a k&n panel for about a year now with no problems. Did notice throttle response when It first went on. Would steer clear of an induction kit, unless its a bmc cda with the cold air feed. Induction kits are good for sound but poor for performance in my opinion.

bumba007
12-11-2016, 03:56 PM
The air goes through too many pipes and an inter-cooler to make any difference IMO, there's nowhere for a K&N or induction get to get more cold air because of the way the TDi induction is set up. As Zollaf said "get a re-map". You'll spend half the cost of a remap on eye candy

well you can do what i did and pull more air from the lower vent. i put a tubing onto the vent after boring out some of the plastic strips to make it more open like the centre vent on the car, then i brought it upto the filter and placed it just below so cold air was forced to it as drove