PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 20v same as 1.8t 20v?

j_mat_j
21-06-2006, 03:42 AM
hi all,
newbie to this forum. have briefly browse around, its an excellent website with a bunch of helpful members i have to say.

i am currently looking for a sensible family car, i have around 1500 to spend, I want something as realiable possible, had a look in autotrader, i have noticed there are different versions for the passat and a bit confused.

im looking for 1997 onward models, so do they comes in 1.8 20v and 1.8t 20v? what other engines they came with? also, I am looking for something with as basic as possible to stay away as much problem as possible, put it otherway, which model has the less problem from you guys?

any opinions will be appreciated. thanks

sekonz
21-06-2006, 08:41 AM
this is a very good site that gives all models and ther specs...

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/car-specifications/Volkswagen/

dont know which model has less probs tho........

Sam
21-06-2006, 12:02 PM
1.8 20v is just that, 1.8 litre 20 valve engine
1.8t 20v is the same engine, but turbocharged

The TDi engines still seem to be running great, a work mate of mine has just over 200,000 miles on a V plate.

Each model has it's pitfalls and problems, but as long as you get one with a F(VW)SH you should be ok.

lalaland
21-06-2006, 02:18 PM
The 1.8T is a lot quicker in both top end and acceleration than the standard 1.8

It's also more costly to insure, uses more petrol and is normally more expensive to buy, but it's a great car and I'd never change my 1.8T sport for a standard 1.8 :biglaugh:

If you are looking for a family car and have £1,500 to spend then I'd definately look at the diesel options. As mentioned above, full VW service history is a must, especially on higher mileage cars. And if the car's done 60,000 - 80,000 miles + then make sure it's had it's cambelt / timing belt changed. If not get it done (around £200-300) to avoid forking out for a new engine when it goes.

With £1,500 you may be better looking at different cars to a Passat though, they tend to be a little more pricey and £1,500 may not get you much of a Passat that would last long. I'd consider looking at a Golf or Polo. If you still want the size then try a Focus or Mondeo and again look for the full manufacturer service history.

zorgie
21-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I bought my 97 1.8 20v TS frm a dealer with a F (VW) SH and 57k miles on the clock for 3.5k.
Saying that I think he might have been lying to me and I think the car might have had a slight bump on the right hand side, no proof of that though ...
but It is an awesome car and yes it is a slightly heavier on the fuel consumption, but on the open road its about the same as the normal 1.8 20v. I drive mostly short distances ( about 15 miles a day broken into 4 trips) I get about 360 miles to a tank.

lalaland
21-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a 2001 1.8 Turbo Sport with full VWSH, cost me £4,200 from a dealer.

I get about 350 from a full tank which costs around £58 to fill, so not much difference in range, although not the most fuel efficient car that I've owned, it's certainly worth it :D