PDA

View Full Version : Specifics of Technology package

KevTHC
20-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know where I can find some detailed info on the specific upgrades that the 2013 A3's technology package adds? I see summary info on web and in the brochure but am trying to assess exactly what this means in terms of usability and thus whether the additional cost is worth it. Thanks for any help given.

Norbreck21a
20-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I think basically it's this:

Bigger pop up screen @ 7" (vs 5.8" screen). Although the "Frames" are exactly the same size, the non technology pack screen has black borders around the edge where as the 7" screen fills the screen to the edge.
Higher resolution screen - 800*480 vs 400*240
Hardware contains a built in Hard disc drive (like a computer) which stores the maps on the disc rather than on an SD card as in the standard Navigation package. Due to the this, the speed of access is quicker and the maps contain more detail with full 3d mapping, terrain and 3d Visual representations of major buildings in the larger cities (although I don't know how useful this actually is ?)
Due to the built in HDD, about 10gb is reserved for your personal music which can be downloaded from an SD card, Ipod etc.
Still has 2 SD cards both of which are available for music storage (on the standard Nav, one must contain the navigation data at all times).
DVD Based optical drive rather than CD based. Can therefore hold 4.7GB of Mp3's on a user writeable disc, or play DVD movies (whilst the car is at standstill).
MMI Touch. Basically the top of the MMI dial is a touch sensitive panel that you can use your finger to enter letters and numbers (useful for post code or phone number inputting).
Triple tuner with phase diversity Radio with TMCpro en route.

Think that's all ?

james_tiger_woo
20-03-2013, 04:30 PM
As above, this is what I C&P from the brochure:

Standard:

5.8” QVGA colour display screen – electrically extending, slim line design

MMI Radio which includes:
- Single CD player and two SDXC memory card readers (up to 2TB) which are both MP3, WMA
and AAC compatible
- MMI control panel
- FM and AM (MW) reception
- 50-station memory with dynamic station list
- Speed-dependent volume control
- TP memo, which automatically saves traffic news when driving

Technology package:

Includes HDD-based MMI Satellite Navigation Plus and MMI Touch with navigation data (flash memory), electrically extending, high-resolution 7-inch colour display, high-quality representation of the navigation map as 3D ground model with topographical map colouring, display of many sights and city models in 3D, choice of 3 alternative routes provided, split-screen mode for route information (manoeuvring points, points of interest on motorways, TMCpro on route), detailed junction map and lane recommendations, dynamic route guidance (where available), voice control system (whole-word entry of address in one sentence), additional arrow display in the Driver’s Information System; including radio with triple tuner and phase diversity, flash memory for music (10 GB), MP3, WMA, AAC and MPEG4-capable DVD player which can also be used for music and video DVDs, 2 SDXC card readers (for up to 2 TB).
MMI touch: a touch-sensitive panel on the rotary/push-button control for intuitive operation of the MMI without taking your eyes off the road; context-related entry of letters and numbers for navigation destination via handwriting recognition with acoustic acknowledgement, selection from address book, entry of telephone numbers or search for media files; simple movement of navigation map and selection of points of interest. Only in combination with Colour Driver’s Information System (9S6) on SE models

KevTHC
20-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Triple tuner with phase diversity Radio with TMCpro en route.

Thanks, but what on earth is the above?

KevTHC
21-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks, but what on earth is the above?

I read up. Multiple tuners tuning on your desired frequency to provide a better overall reception. Presumably this isn't relevant when using DAB.

james_tiger_woo
21-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Indeed. With DAB, you'd just have NO signal ;)

KevTHC
26-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Indeed. With DAB, you'd just have NO signal ;)

Is DAB reception really that bad? We've never had a DAB radio, not even a static one in the house.

james_tiger_woo
27-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Is DAB reception really that bad? We've never had a DAB radio, not even a static one in the house.

It's not great for me - but I live in rural Lincolnshire....