PDA

View Full Version : lighter / 12v socket

gavmoulds
15-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi all.....I went to use my satnav last week for a visit to Wales.

I was soon screwed to discover that my 12v / lighter was not working.

I checked all the fuses and I cannot see any problem. I cannot see how any wires have become disconnected.

Any help greatfully received thanks.

Gavin.

Geraldy212
16-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Gav, how did you find out it was not working? By testing the voltage, or by the lighter not getting hot? This circuit is supplied through a 20Amp fuse in position FC24, in the car and a 50Amp fuse in position FA5 in the engine fuse box. There is also a contact inside the lighter which has to be made before any heat is presented. (When you press down the lighter). Be careful, this circuit is not switched by the ignition switch, but remains live 12V at all times.

gavmoulds
21-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I plugged in the satnav and it does not work. Ive tried phone charger etc. There is no power to it

I have since been told that there is an additional fuse panel inside. I cannot find it.

Gav, how did you find out it was not working? By testing the voltage, or by the lighter not getting hot? This circuit is supplied through a 20Amp fuse in position FC24, in the car and a 50Amp fuse in position FA5 in the engine fuse box. There is also a contact inside the lighter which has to be made before any heat is presented. (When you press down the lighter). Be careful, this circuit is not switched by the ignition switch, but remains live 12V at all times.

Sam
21-03-2013, 01:38 PM
If it's similar to the B5 Passat there is an array of fuses/relays (one of which controls the cig lighter) under the steering column/dash area - usually accessed via removal of the knee bolster.

Doctle Odd
21-03-2013, 01:40 PM
You'll have to take it out and see if power is coming to the plug at the back of the lighter