PDA

View Full Version : Electric folding mirrors on GT.

pcr
15-03-2013, 01:54 PM
From the specification I expected the car to have electric folding mirrors. I ordered a sunroof and the car does not have the folding mirrors, I can find no reference to this in VW's documents.

DaveB666
15-03-2013, 02:09 PM
GT should come with electric folding mirrors (mine arrived this morning and has them)

pcr
15-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Dave, I am told by the dealer that if the car has a sunroof it will have no folding mirrors. I am just looking for confirmation.

waterfish
15-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I have the GT spec with sunroof and folding mirrors. This time around, it can auto fold when locking car, rather than manually as with the Mk6

algarve
15-03-2013, 06:00 PM
From the specification I expected the car to have electric folding mirrors. I ordered a sunroof and the car does not have the folding mirrors, I can find no reference to this in VW's documents.

When did you pick up the car ?
If your car definitely doesn't have functioning folding mirrors unlike the earlier poster with sunroof/ folding mirrors on this thread be aware there was some forum chatter about earlier deliveries having 'missing' folding mirrors.
Hope you get it sorted.

pcr
15-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Now I am confused since no folding mirrors on mine, I guess yours is not a UK spec car ?. Guess I will have to wait for a reply from VW, which is not forthcoming.

raeman
15-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Picked up my new GT this morning complete with folding mirrors the salesman told me they had were checking the cars when they came in because VW had missed them off some of the early builds.

pcr
15-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Raeman, does your car have a sunroof please?

raeman
15-03-2013, 06:30 PM
No sunroof but the GT i had the test drive in did and i'm sure it had the electric mirrors on it, as sunroof is an extra which i considered never remember seeing anything in the brochure saying it affected the mirrors.

pcr
15-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Raeman, thanks, VW Customer Services have confirmed what you said, approx' 1500 cars were built without folding mirrors. Some goodwill gesture will be made but I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

algarve
15-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I can understand that.
I Hope VWUK are generous to make up for this for you.

dickt
16-03-2013, 02:35 PM
My GT (2.0tdi 150) does not have a sunroof, but the folding mirrors work fine, and can be set to fold when the ignition is turned off.

Do let us know what compensation VW offer!

Neil Ramsay
16-03-2013, 02:54 PM
I was also unlucky enough to receive a GT without folding mirrors. Official VW message to dealers was to offer £100 refund as this was the cost of adding them as an option to SE spec cars.

Good luck.

pcr
16-03-2013, 06:06 PM
As you say, I am expecting to be refunded the price of the folding mirrors, approx' £100. The thing is, I have a narrow garage and really did want these mirrors, I would not have bought a car that did not have them. I am left inconvenienced while VW has made no loss, since it has not provided the mirrors but charged for them. I think they should supply a car with folding mirrors but I think there is little chance of that.

Evil Dan
16-03-2013, 07:37 PM
As you say, I am expecting to be refunded the price of the folding mirrors, approx' £100. The thing is, I have a narrow garage and really did want these mirrors, I would not have bought a car that did not have them. I am left inconvenienced while VW has made no loss, since it has not provided the mirrors but charged for them. I think they should supply a car with folding mirrors but I think there is little chance of that.

Refuse the car and demand it as specified. Terrible marketing.

iallen1@btinter
16-03-2013, 08:05 PM
What a shambles from VW i would reject the car whats the point in getting a refund if you wanted the folding mirrors, i had a run in the mk7 a few weeks ago and ok its a bit bigger but i would say my mk6 is better build quality i struggled with the electric mirror switch much better in the mk6 and the air vents are like really poor quality, the salesman told me lots of folk mentioned them im sticking with mine foe the time being, another small thing is the motif for the heated wing mirror lines up with the mark but on the mk 6 it doesnt whats all that about

algarve
16-03-2013, 09:01 PM
What a shambles from VW i would reject the car whats the point in getting a refund if you wanted the folding mirrors, i had a run in the mk7 a few weeks ago and ok its a bit bigger but i would say my mk6 is better build quality i struggled with the electric mirror switch much better in the mk6 and the air vents are like really poor quality, the salesman told me lots of folk mentioned them im sticking with mine foe the time being, another small thing is the motif for the heated wing mirror lines up with the mark but on the mk 6 it doesnt whats all that about

If you struggled with the electric mirror switch then you would have had nightmares with ADC , Stop/ Start , electronic parking brake & all the other new technology on the Mk7... :)

iallen1@btinter
16-03-2013, 09:35 PM
i found the handbrake no problem but why alter the swith when its perfect in the mk 6, also the flimsy indicator stalks, im on my 7th new vw in a row but will probably shop around next time

dickt
17-03-2013, 01:42 PM
In terms of compensation, 100ukp is an insult. Let's be clear here, someone in VW deliberately decided to make these cars without the electric mirrors. It was not an accident, it was not a mistake, it was a deliberate decision to ignore the published spec and to make them more cheaply.
Someone wanted to increase their bonus, or make cars more cheaply than budget. VW should own up to their mistake and compensate people fairly.
I suggest that 1,000ukp would be a more appropriate amount of compensation.

s liner
17-03-2013, 01:51 PM
The £100 is a joke - I would get the dealer to retrofit the folding mirrors and provide some compensation or as others have said just refuse the car.

Neil Ramsay
17-03-2013, 05:31 PM
The £100 is a joke - I would get the dealer to retrofit the folding mirrors and provide some compensation or as others have said just refuse the car.

As mentioned above, my car also had missing mirrors. Retrofitting the mirrors was my first request but I was told this wouldn't be possible. While rejecting the car is technically possible, if the dealer refuses to accept the rejection then you will have to argue the case in court.

Having taken advice I was advised this wouldn't be prudent as the decision was liable to be that missing folding mirrors were not of sufficient importance to warrant rejection and the best I could hope for would be damages of approx £1000, being the cost of retrofitting. Balancing this with the cost of a lawyer and possible court costs dissuaded me from this approach.

pcr
17-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Neil, I would agree with your assessment of the situation, do let us know how you get on. I am currently waiting to hear from VW CS but for me the bottom line is that I would not have bought the car had I kwown it did not have folding mirrors, and VW and/or the dealer failed to disclose the problem to me.

Evil Dan
17-03-2013, 06:43 PM
As mentioned above, my car also had missing mirrors. Retrofitting the mirrors was my first request but I was told this wouldn't be possible. While rejecting the car is technically possible, if the dealer refuses to accept the rejection then you will have to argue the case in court.

Having taken advice I was advised this wouldn't be prudent as the decision was liable to be that missing folding mirrors were not of sufficient importance to warrant rejection and the best I could hope for would be damages of approx £1000, being the cost of retrofitting. Balancing this with the cost of a lawyer and possible court costs dissuaded me from this approach.

Neil, who advised you? My reading of the law is that if the goods are not as described and the retailer cannot make right the problem they would be forced to offer you a full refund. I'm not aware that car sales are exempt.

dickt
18-03-2013, 05:42 PM
VW CS told me that I had up to 2 weks to reject the car. The dealer agreed. I suspect I'll accept mine as I have to decide by tomorrow..............

algarve
18-03-2013, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=dickt;793979]VW CS told me that I had up to 2 weks to reject the car. The dealer agreed. I suspect I'll accept mine as I have to decide

Did I read your post right ?
Was the sunroof missing from yours?

dickt
18-03-2013, 11:41 PM
No. I opted for leather/electric/seat memory. After I had got the car home, VW told me that they had changed their minds from the manual and price list, and that memory was not available. Having electric without memory is a bit like giving a fish a push-bike.

Neil Ramsay
23-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi, I had access to free legal advice. While car sales aren't exempt, minor spec differences aren't seen as reasonable grounds for rejection.

If the car had a recurring fault or damage or had the wrong engine or gearbox for example then that would be different.

The best example I had put to me was a dispute over a BMW 5 series delivered with brown rather than black leather. BMW and dealer offered to refit the interior in the correct colour but the buyer refused and attempted to reject the car.

Judge ruled for dealer and buyer had to pay own costs.

Evil Dan
23-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi, I had access to free legal advice. While car sales aren't exempt, minor spec differences aren't seen as reasonable grounds for rejection.

If the car had a recurring fault or damage or had the wrong engine or gearbox for example then that would be different.

The best example I had put to me was a dispute over a BMW 5 series delivered with brown rather than black leather. BMW and dealer offered to refit the interior in the correct colour but the buyer refused and attempted to reject the car.

Judge ruled for dealer and buyer had to pay own costs.

That's different though, as the dealer offered to correct the error. With the folding mirrors they are not offering to do so.

dickt
23-03-2013, 02:54 PM
With my issue, (no memory in leather/elec/memory seats) the dealer knew from my first e-mail that electric seat memory was critical to me. Also, the dealer did not pass on VW's warning (apparently in January) that the Golf would not have memory. Therefore, there was a clear written trail of info, as well as a breach of their duty of care. Therefore the dealer agreed with me that I was able to reject the car. I have now settled for £500.
If you made it clear in writing that you had to have elec mirrors, and if the dealer knew about the lack of elec mirrors on your car, and did not tell you prior to delivery, then it sounds like a case for at least the same as I received.

Bob_S
25-03-2013, 05:41 PM
In terms of compensation, 100ukp is an insult. Let's be clear here, someone in VW deliberately decided to make these cars without the electric mirrors. It was not an accident, it was not a mistake, it was a deliberate decision to ignore the published spec and to make them more cheaply.
Someone wanted to increase their bonus, or make cars more cheaply than budget. VW should own up to their mistake and compensate people fairly.
I suggest that 1,000ukp would be a more appropriate amount of compensation.That's one hell of a claim to make. Can you back it up with some evidence that it was a deliberate decision?

dickt
25-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Bob,
the way big Corporates work, the individual who made the decision will be identifiable by the VW top brass. All they need to do is to investigate. Someone somewhere signed off the decision. There will be a trail that identifies the individual. The fact is that they do not chose to tell us is the barrier to us obtaining decent compensation.
If it were a UK Government Department/part of the public sector, we could use the FoI legislation, but it isn't a Government Department.

Bob_S
25-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Bob,
the way big Corporates work, the individual who made the decision will be identifiable by the VW top brass. All they need to do is to investigate. Someone somewhere signed off the decision. There will be a trail that identifies the individual. The fact is that they do not chose to tell us is the barrier to us obtaining decent compensation.
If it were a UK Government Department/part of the public sector, we could use the FoI legislation, but it isn't a Government Department.So in other words you don't have any evidence it was a deliberate act, just your opinion of what may have happened. The fact is specs are often changed from what is the brochure and the first you know about it is when the car is delivered with a different spec. This has happened with the memory seats and it happened to me many years ago with a new car that should have had controls for the audio system on the steering wheel, but turned up without them. It was investigated and the factory had changed the spec. The dealer offered me a pioneer radio/cassette with a 6 disc CD changer to compensate which I was very happy to accept. It happens, and is only to be expected when something is built by humans.

andyCYM
25-03-2013, 10:32 PM
I think that sometimes they get the computer programme in the factory wrong. In 2005 they built and imported a lot of SE and sport passats that should have had chrome trim around the windows but didn't. VW offered CD changers as compensation. Funny thing was, I liked the look of them without chrome, but they wouldn't let me order one like that. **** up, not conspiracy I reckon.

dickt
26-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Generally, I find that decisions to do, or not do something, are deliberate.
Let me elaborate on that. In a debate with the then boss of VW cars UK which started about engine/gearbox choices, he made it clear that VW made decisions that suited them, and were not terribly bothered by customer responses.

Bob_S
26-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Generally, I find that decisions to do, or not do something, are deliberate.

So you don't think that mistakes get made, or instructions don't get passed on to those who make the cars? You don't think that lines of communication might become blurred?

Let me elaborate on that. In a debate with the then boss of VW cars UK which started about engine/gearbox choices, he made it clear that VW made decisions that suited them, and were not terribly bothered by customer responses.

Have you had a debate with the current boss of VW UK as that would be of much greater relevance than a debate with someone who is no longer the boss?

dickt
27-03-2013, 07:17 PM
I surrender.

lozzer
27-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I surrender.

lol :)

Robbocop
28-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Newb alert! Hi guys. I'm a mk6 owner about to order a mk7 GT. Just to say that the GT I test drove did not have electric mirrors but the current spec does. The dealer explained that originally folding mirrors were going to be an option on both the SE and GT models. Later the decision was taken to make them standard on the GT and apparently you get them for free if you order parking sensors for an SE. Please verify that with your local dealer don't take my word for it, but when I priced up an SE with parking sensors sure enough the mirrors were free. So this is NOT a case of VW deliberately missing something to make more money. This is the other way round. The Marketing or design departments decided to add them as a standard or free option AFTER the factory had already started to build the first few cars to the original spec. My guess is there are old brochures in a skip somewhere saying the same. If you're unlucky you should obviously still seek compensation.

Neil Ramsay
30-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi Robbocop, your dealer is feeding you some free ********. I've seen the official VW advisory note stating that the GT's without mirrors were built in error due to a mistake on the production line.

If they try and lie about that, what else ?

Automatic censoring for a word starting with Bull and ending in Sh*t, welcome to 1984

HHGTTG
30-03-2013, 03:03 PM
All such threads like this and those found similarly on other car forums indicate and show the inadvisability of buy a 'new' car so prematurely. I will certainly wait another ten or twelve months before spending my hard earned cash on a new Golf. This give them just about sufficient time to iron out gremlins both in the car and their brochure inaccuracies, where they exist.
I suppose that if you're buying a leased or company' car then it is not so much of concern to those concerned - to me it is.

lozzer
30-03-2013, 08:37 PM
All such threads like this and those found similarly on other car forums indicate and show the inadvisability of buy a 'new' car so prematurely. I will certainly wait another ten or twelve months before spending my hard earned cash on a new Golf. This give them just about sufficient time to iron out gremlins both in the car and their brochure inaccuracies, where they exist.
I suppose that if you're buying a leased or company' car then it is not so much of concern to those concerned - to me it is.

Your logic is flawed and sample too small.

There are gremlins throughout a cars lifecycle.

I have been waiting almost two years to buy the 'perfect' iPhone . Through iphone 4, 4s and iphone 5 with its scuffs and dents.

Iphone 5s is meant to be out mid June. I will buy one then....or perhaps not.

I am delighted with my mk7 now as you will be later on :)

Cheers

HHGTTG
31-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Your logic is flawed and sample too small.

There are gremlins throughout a cars lifecycle.

I have been waiting almost two years to buy the 'perfect' iPhone . Through iphone 4, 4s and iphone 5 with its scuffs and dents.

Iphone 5s is meant to be out mid June. I will buy one then....or perhaps not.

I am delighted with my mk7 now as you will be later on :)

Cheers

Gosh, that was a slip up in your analogy there. iPhone and 'perfect'! There isn't such as thing is there. I am and never will be a slave to brand names especially Apple product,s as beautiful as they look, though.

No, I still maintain that if someone's buying your car for you, then fair enough, I would have one now but not if it is my own money buying it. My present Golf will be 4 years old this July (how the time's flown).
I'm sorry but I just don't feel the same way about the MK7 as I did about the MK6. The latter was such a better shape, nicer interior and so much smoother. No doubt the MK7 will be even smoother etc. but do I want all that technology and the ebrake? I am not sure and think it may be a step too far.

lozzer
31-03-2013, 11:08 AM
No slip in the analogy. I have followed the various models of iPhone and visited the forums and delayed getting one, waiting for one without issues. The perfect model does not exist, as you say. I should just have bought one earlier and had a half decent phone for the past 2 years.

I sold my MK6 for a California two years ago. A short period of ownership of the MK7, IMHO, indicates that there is a huge gap between the two in every aspect apart from the exterior shape of the MK6, which, like you, I still prefer.

I guess every one here who has bought a MK7 is an 'early adopter' and risks the issues that arise...and they have :)
From my point of view, I would rather enjoy the new car now that wait for the 'perfect' one.

We differ :)