PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain CCS and ADC/ACC

HHGTTG
14-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I have read through the user's manual as obtained from an Audi forum. This is a manual that was scanned by someone and hence is not very clear, literally and may not be complete..However can people here explain the Adaptive Cruise Control function which I see as a addition to the ordinary Cruise Control and then there is Speed Limiter. All these things all dealt with but not very clearly and there seems ot be an awful lot of it selected by either the direction stalk or controls on the multifunction Steering Wheel. Presumably the controls are not duplicated on the direction stalk if your car has the MF steering wheel.
I presume you can use ordinary CC as I do and then switch on ACC and determine what length from vehicle in front, you want to keep.
Does anyone have practica experience of these so-called driver aids?

I think that I will be ordering a new MK7 SE with 1.4TSI engine towards the end of the year.

algarve
14-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I have read through the user's manual as obtained from an Audi forum. This is a manual that was scanned by someone and hence is not very clear, literally and may not be complete..However can people here explain the Adaptive Cruise Control function which I see as a addition to the ordinary Cruise Control and then there is Speed Limiter. All these things all dealt with but not very clearly and there seems ot be an awful lot of it selected by either the direction stalk or controls on the multifunction Steering Wheel. Presumably the controls are not duplicated on the direction stalk if your car has the MF steering wheel.
I presume you can use ordinary CC as I do and then switch on ACC and determine what length from vehicle in front, you want to keep.
Does anyone have practica experience of these so-called driver aids?

I think that I will be ordering a new MK7 SE with 1.4TSI engine towards the end of the year.

Yes if you have MF all the controls are on the Steering wheel & not duplicated on the stalk
You can use CC on its own , Speed limiter on its own.
ACC using distance to car in front can be selected if you want.
The VW manual is a bit confusing (with all the legal warnings everywhere ) but once you fathom out these particular buttons ( the symbols could be larger on the buttons in my view ) its fairly straightforward to operate.

Pommyboi
14-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes if you have MF all the controls are on the Steering wheel & not duplicated on the stalk
You can use CC on its own , Speed limiter on its own.
ACC using distance to car in front can be selected if you want.
The VW manual is a bit confusing (with all the legal warnings everywhere ) but once you fathom out these particular buttons ( the symbols could be larger on the buttons in my view ) its fairly straightforward to operate.

How do you use the cruise control without the adaptive radar controlled function? I looked for instructions when I first got the car and thought it wasn't possible, however after a few weeks of use I'm not sure I have any need to use cruise control without the radar function switched on I'm just wondering what I missed.

andyCYM
14-03-2013, 04:54 PM
You can't use cruise without the adaptive radar function. Having used it for 600 odd motorway miles, I really can't see why you would want to using cruise without radar, the way the system applies brakes (very hard if needed) to keep a steady time (not distance) from car in front is astonishing. Brilliant piece of equipment, and I'm speaking as someone who couldn't see the point of 'ordinary' cruise control on typical UK mways.

andyCYM
14-03-2013, 05:03 PM

As I said in other post, ACC allows you to set TIME gap between you and car in front, not distance, that's the clever bit, and it uses brakes / throttle exactly as the driver would. You can even set how fast it accelerates through 'mode' selection. I experimented with it in stop / start traffic on M1, with manual gearbox the car slows to about 15 mph and then warns you to take over manually. With DSG it will stop and pull away again. I know it sounds a bit 'robocar', I was a cynic, but it really is brilliant, would not want to be without it.

Am sure there's no 'ordinary' CC option, but as I said, it would be pointless.

Guest 2
14-03-2013, 05:18 PM
send a pm to "timothy nathan" he has acc on his a6 and he praises it to the hilt and knows the system quite well.

Pommyboi
14-03-2013, 05:30 PM
You can't use cruise without the adaptive radar function. Having used it for 600 odd motorway miles, I really can't see why you would want to using cruise without radar, the way the system applies brakes (very hard if needed) to keep a steady time (not distance) from car in front is astonishing. Brilliant piece of equipment, and I'm speaking as someone who couldn't see the point of 'ordinary' cruise control on typical UK mways.

thanks, I thought there wasn't a separate cruise control and totally agree it is very good although took me a few miles to get used to how it worked. I'm also not a fan of cruise control on our busy motorways but love this system.

HHGTTG
14-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Well, I am more confused but will it have to stay that way until such time that I take delivery of my new car but that could be about 12 months away - depends on delivery times for factory orders.

Thanks one and all.

Have you downloaded this manual as a lot of what it contains re the ACC etc seems to be at odds with what is said above. It's a pdf and has been obtained by scanning a Golf manual - not sure which though. Go to page 102 of 138 pages and read on. Talks about CCS, Speed Limiter and ACC.

algarve
14-03-2013, 07:49 PM
I think the PDF you refer to concerns a Skoda perhaps as the Golf MK7 manual has 17 pages ! on CCS, Speed Limiter and ACC starting at page 221.
I remember following a Merc from a safe distance in the outside lane of the motorway on a wet dark night & it was constantly switching on /off glaring brake lights - with traffic flowing in front of it.
At the time I assumed he had ACC or similar system activated.
It does concern me that 'manually' driving so to speak you focus & release the throttle rather than braking regularly to reduce the gap to the car in front.

Pommyboi
14-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Well, I am more confused but will it have to stay that way until such time that I take delivery of my new car but that could be about 12 months away - depends on delivery times for factory orders.

Thanks one and all.

Have you downloaded this manual as a lot of what it contains re the ACC etc seems to be at odds with what is said above. It's a pdf and has been obtained by scanning a Golf manual - not sure which though. Go to page 102 of 138 pages and read on. Talks about CCS, Speed Limiter and ACC.

I can't say I've downloaded it as I have a real one in the car and what is said in this thread from other owners is consistent with how I see the technology working and how I use it.

You should just go for a test drive soon and it will become clearer how the radar assisted cruise control works along with the other technology.

HHGTTG
14-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I think the PDF you refer to concerns a Skoda perhaps as the Golf MK7 manual has 17 pages ! on CCS, Speed Limiter and ACC starting at page 221.
I remember following a Merc from a safe distance in the outside lane of the motorway on a wet dark night & it was constantly switching on /off glaring brake lights - with traffic flowing in front of it.
At the time I assumed he had ACC or similar system activated.
It does concern me that 'manually' driving so to speak you focus & release the throttle rather than braking regularly to reduce the gap to the car in front.

No, the manual is headed 'Golf'. There are many pages but the pages I were referring to were the pdf pages that would correspond to those in the actual paper version. In fact in this manual the actual page that starts on CCS is page 217/218

algarve
14-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Got you ..
Just read up a VW article on ACC.
Reassuring to hear the ACC control slows down the car by initiating corrective controls of the engine management and if necessary the braking system too.
So no constant brake lights coming on.

andyCYM
14-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Got you ..
Just read up a VW article on ACC.
Reassuring to hear the ACC control slows down the car by initiating corrective controls of the engine management and if necessary the braking system too.
So no constant brake lights coming on.

That's definitely the case. An example of how clever it is: if you're in the inside lane set at 70mph (or whatever) and someone cuts in within the space the radar wants to see as clear according to the 'time' setting, if the car that cuts in is travelling faster than 70mph, the ACC simply backs off the throttle. If the other car cuts in doing (say) 65mph, the system brakes, but the brake pressure depends on the closing speed. I swear, if you were in the passenger seat, you'd think 'what a sensible driver'. Really has to be experienced to be appreciated. All that said, it's still you in control, of course.

algarve
15-03-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm slowly getting used to ACC now in using it on motorways especially.
Initially it was a confidence thing in accepting its involvement in my driving decisions.
Very clever piece of kit.

HHGTTG
15-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm slowly getting used to ACC now in using it on motorways especially.
Initially it was a confidence thing in accepting its involvement in my driving decisions.
Very clever piece of kit.

Great, now perhaps you can elucidate and tell me what you actually do to actuate the ACC?

So far I would assume that if all systems are off and you are driving along say, the motorway, the first thing you'd do would be to press the button on the MF wheel with the tiny speedo face after which you'd accelerate up to your desired speed and then press 'SET'. To me that would be ordinary Cruise Control but at this stage is the ACC actually working providing you are following traffic or do you have to press the centre button with the car symbol on it (this one adjust variable distance/time)?
I think, from my reading the centre buttons scrolls though about 5 different distances or time intervals, the default which can be set in the Infotainment system.

Sorry to be so presumptive but I want to get to the bottom of this through present owner's experience. My comments above of course may be entirely wrong and I would like anyone else to have a go at explaining the procedure if they want to.

algarve
15-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Great, now perhaps you can elucidate and tell me what you actually do to actuate the ACC?

So far I would assume that if all systems are off and you are driving along say, the motorway, the first thing you'd do would be to press the button on the MF wheel with the tiny speedo face after which you'd accelerate up to your desired speed and then press 'SET'. To me that would be ordinary Cruise Control but at this stage is the ACC actually working providing you are following traffic or do you have to press the centre button with the car symbol on it (this one adjust variable distance/time)?
I think, from my reading the centre buttons scrolls though about 5 different distances or time intervals, the default which can be set in the Infotainment system.

Sorry to be so presumptive but I want to get to the bottom of this through present owner's experience. My comments above of course may be entirely wrong and I would like anyone else to have a go at explaining the procedure if they want to.

Yes the ACC is actually working at that stage.

No you don't have to press the centre button with the car symbol unless you want to alter the variable distance/time setting

andyCYM
15-03-2013, 10:48 PM
It's as simple as that. Press the top button to switch ACC on, press 'set' at the speed you want to maintain, and the radar works. The centre button is only needed if you want to increase or decrease the time between you and the car in front. I've found that setting it at 3 (out of five) is fine, have not needed to adjust it. As with 'normal' CC, touch clutch or brakes and it switches off, you then need to press 'RES' to switch back on. + or - changes speed in 5mph increments, when working, SET / RES increases or decreases by 1mph either way. The time (centre) button stays at last setting. It's a doddle.

G0rdon
15-03-2013, 11:05 PM
How did we ever manage before ACC came along?! It's brilliant!

HHGTTG
16-03-2013, 12:08 AM
That's great chaps. So there isn't ordinary Cruise Control on the MK7 as I know it on my MK6 car then?

Right query number two and the final one. Speed Limiter!! I presume this is activated by pressing the mode button and then setting a SET speed again and this speed will then not be exceeded unless you floor the accelerator pedal in a sort of kickdown action? Does the Mode button toggle just between ACC and Speed Limiter?

andyCYM
16-03-2013, 01:42 PM
That's great chaps. So there isn't ordinary Cruise Control on the MK7 as I know it on my MK6 car then?

Right query number two and the final one. Speed Limiter!! I presume this is activated by pressing the mode button and then setting a SET speed again and this speed will then not be exceeded unless you floor the accelerator pedal in a sort of kickdown action? Does the Mode button toggle just between ACC and Speed Limiter?

Yes, there is no 'ordinary' CC with the Mk7, but the point is that on a clear road with nothing in front of you, ACC performs in exactly the same way as ordinary CC. However, if someone pulls in front of you, ACC backs off throttle or applies brakes as necessary and then maintains a steady space. If you then pull out in to a clear lane, it takes you back to the set speed. How fast it takes you back to that speed depends on the 'driver mode' you're in, very noticeable difference between 'eco' and 'sport'.

Yes, your right about the speed limiter. Only point is that you have to fully depress accelerator to switch it off.

dickt
16-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, I'm not quite convinced about this yet. I've only driven about 150 miles on motorways so far (of 350 miles total) and I would rather control things myself. Not convinced about it, yet.

HHGTTG
16-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Yes, there is no 'ordinary' CC with the Mk7, but the point is that on a clear road with nothing in front of you, ACC performs in exactly the same way as ordinary CC. However, if someone pulls in front of you, ACC backs off throttle or applies brakes as necessary and then maintains a steady space. If you then pull out in to a clear lane, it takes you back to the set speed. How fast it takes you back to that speed depends on the 'driver mode' you're in, very noticeable difference between 'eco' and 'sport'.

Yes, your right about the speed limiter. Only point is that you have to fully depress accelerator to switch it off.

According to manual, that action only turns it off temporarily for, say, overtaking or getting out of trouble. When speed drops back to the SET speed it will be controlled again.

DaveB666
18-03-2013, 11:21 AM
As with 'normal' CC, touch clutch or brakes and it switches off, you then need to press 'RES' to switch back on. + or - changes

Not so in my car. I can set the ACC to say, 50mph and if I need to change down/up a gear the ACC resumes automatically as soon as the clutch is dis-engaged. (None DSG obviously).

HHGTTG
18-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Not so in my car. I can set the ACC to say, 50mph and if I need to change down/up a gear the ACC resumes automatically as soon as the clutch is dis-engaged. (None DSG obviously).

Did you mean dis-engaged or re-engaged i.e back in drive again?

Hotspur
18-03-2013, 09:20 PM

My ACC works like that too which I found disconcerting to start with being used to the Mk 6 where depressing the clutch turned off the cruise control. I'm not sure if a foot on the brake turns the ACC off or not but will be trying this on the road sometime soon when there isn't too much traffic about. I think the ACC is pretty neat and better than standard cruise control.

andyCYM
18-03-2013, 10:06 PM

You're right, applying brakes disengages (res needs to be pressed to engage again), use of clutch does not.

HHGTTG
18-03-2013, 10:10 PM
You're right, applying breaks disengages (res needs to be pressed to engage again), use of clutch does not.

And to disable it altogether? presumably press/hold the button with the speedo symbol on it?

andyCYM
18-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes, although it will stay 'off' until 'res' is pressed.

Pommyboi
20-03-2013, 05:28 PM
one other good point that I don't think has been mentioned above is the slight increase in speed as you indicate to pass someone on the motorway whilst cruise control is switched on. A nice little touch.

P237 of the user manual!

cdgthreesalmons
23-03-2013, 06:04 PM
one other good point that I don't think has been mentioned above is the slight increase in speed as you indicate to pass someone on the motorway whilst cruise control is switched on. A nice little touch.

Pommyboi - Interesting feature, I haven't heard anyone mention this before - how does the car know you are overtaking???? (acc radar?) - does it then revert to the set speed???

algarve
23-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Pommyboi - Interesting feature, I haven't heard anyone mention this before - how does the car know you are overtaking???? (acc radar?) - does it then revert to the set speed???

It knows by you using the indicator and yes it does revert to set speed.

Pommyboi
24-03-2013, 05:49 PM
You're right, applying brakes disengages (res needs to be pressed to engage again), use of clutch does not.

Pressing the clutch for over 30 seconds disengages the cruise control