PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Mk7?

andyCYM
13-03-2013, 03:12 PM
In my opinion, 1 week and 900 miles in to living with a 1.4 GT, very little, the praise is justified, particularly about the 140ps engine and ride / handling.

But, (unsurprisingly) there are niggles, here are mine:

- there is only one 'stop' in the door stays, after about 45 degrees, there's just steady resistance which means it's hard to avoid making contact with neighbouring cars in tight spaces
- it is impossible to tell whether headlights are on, at least the Mk6 had the little red lights in the roof console
- the speedometer doesn't have the Mk6's digital km/h read out, just a second set of digits on the dial
- the door mirrors on the GT have an led 'puddle light', but when the mirrors fold when the car is locked, the puddle lights point upwards, which is obviously pointless!

Not much to moan about really though. Any one have any more?

Pommyboi
13-03-2013, 05:12 PM
In my opinion, 1 week and 900 miles in to living with a 1.4 GT, very little, the praise is justified, particularly about the 140ps engine and ride / handling.

- there is only one 'stop' in the door stays, after about 45 degrees, there's just steady resistance which means it's hard to avoid making contact with neighbouring cars in tight spaces
- it is impossible to tell whether headlights are on, at least the Mk6 had the little red lights in the roof console
- the speedometer doesn't have the Mk6's digital km/h read out, just a second set of digits on the dial
- the door mirrors on the GT have an led 'puddle light', but when the mirrors fold when the car is locked, the puddle lights point upwards, which is obviously pointless!

The irritating little ridge on the top and bottom of the indicator stalks, I don't notice them too much any more but they still feel odd.
Not being able to turn off the sound on the satnav, it only goes to '5', to turn it off so it doesn't interfere with podcasts you need to go into the menus. Same again to turn it on
MPG is rubbish on the 2.0 diesel, I'm no boy racer so I'm disappointed it is not better after my 3500 miles.

difficult to find fault really which is why I got another Golf. Hopefully trouble free motoring for the next 3 years.

vc-10
13-03-2013, 06:18 PM
3,500 miles? Hardly run in. I'd expect it to get better after about 10k

algarve
13-03-2013, 08:02 PM
51.5 mpg is hardly rubbish over the first 2860 miles.
As said wait till its properly run in with good mileage on the clock.

algarve
13-03-2013, 08:32 PM

I know they are just niggles but :
I thought the puddle lights are just that to light up the floor/kerb when you get out of the car before you lock up and the mirrors fold up if you have them on fold setting.
You could use the 'Coming Home' lights feature to light up everything.
I take your point about the door stay resistance it does take a bit more care unlike the previous two stage setting.

HHGTTG
14-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I have only sat in this new model but was already aware that the headroom compared to my MK6 with sunroof seemed more pinched. I lowered the driver's seat but was still aware of my head being close to the top curve of the driver's door than I am used to.
Also, I don't particularly like the positioning of the door mirrors' operating knob which seems to be a a rather unintuitive angle for easy operation - again one can get used to it, I suppose.
The MF Steering wheel control certainly could not easily be operated by gloved hands as the button or rather small and close together.

Just initial impressios.

Pommyboi
14-03-2013, 03:43 PM
51.5 mpg is hardly rubbish over the first 2860 miles.
As said wait till its properly run in with good mileage on the clock.

I know the figures published are not realistic and to be fair it is off to a better start than the Mk5 cars I had, I can't imagine ever seeing the alleged 78.5 MPG it could get.

With my previous Golfs/A3s I found they did do a good MPG after 30,000 miles and amazing MPG just before I p/x'd them although it's a little late by that point!

I just caught the end of a discussion on radio 4 about MPG figures in cars, I think they were discussing this report stating the gap between reported and attained MPGs is growing and highlighting some of the little tricks the manufacturers use to get the MPG figures up. Mind the Gap! Why official car fuel economy figures don’t match up to reality | Transport & Environment (http://www.transportenvironment.org/publications/mind-gap-why-official-car-fuel-economy-figures-don%E2%80%99t-match-reality)

andyCYM
14-03-2013, 11:07 PM
More on the doors. If you park pointing uphill on a narrow road (or driveway), the driver's door with a single stop will be very annoying as you have to hold it open while you get out. I remember being impressed that my 1999 Passat had five stops, so however tight the space the door stayed put. These things are important!

HHGTTG
15-03-2013, 10:32 AM
More on the doors. If you park pointing uphill on a narrow road (or driveway), the driver's door with a single stop will be very annoying as you have to hold it open while you get out. I remember being impressed that my 1999 Passat had five stops, so however tight the space the door stayed put. These things are important!

I had assumed that the new wonderful friction system, of whatever it's called, ensured you had an infinitely variable positioning of the doors when opening but as you say, perhaps this doesn't work too well on inclines.

andyCYM
15-03-2013, 02:46 PM
To correct myself - when folded, the lights don't point upwards, they don't come on. Still think it's silly though, they should have been fitted to the fixed part of the mirror.

andyCYM
15-03-2013, 02:50 PM
I saw that reference. I can't detect any 'friction', doors are floppy. However, they 'clunk' shut better than the Mk6, in fact the whole car feels better built. Not a squeak or a rattle - yet!

mactrack
15-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Our GT 1.4 TSi ACT DSG is "in transit" at present so hopefully will be picking up sometime soon. Just out of interest what sort of MPG are you achieving in the real world?

andyCYM
15-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Mine's a manual. So far, 46 mpg indicated average from a 400 mile motorway run in clear traffic. 40 mpg overall (950 miles, 600 motorway, rest town / short runs). No where near claimed figs, but I forgive it, it's a terrific engine. Too much time in 'sport mode' I suspect. Nice feature is 3 MFD calcs: 1) since engine started 2) longterm 3) since re-fuelled. No.3 resets itself

Evil Dan
16-03-2013, 08:21 AM
A few niggles here:

1) The boot is actually not very high with the boot floor in the flat (highest position).
2) Poor fuel consumption - 33mpg in the 1.4 GT DSG with ACT but almost entirely round town. Have done about 350 miles so far. Estimate around town I'll get about 360 miles per 50 litre tank.
3) Features not as advertised (see threads passim)

Features I really like:

1) Electronic parking brake and autohold. These work really well and it remembers both features are turned on when I stop and start the car so I don't have to play with them, though you get a bit blasé when you drive another car!
2) The DSG gearbox is smooth and responsive. Gear changes are hardly noticeable unless you rev the engine hard and hear the revs change, but there is minimal judder.
3) 8" touch screen is really good and for me worth the money with the extra screen size. It was nice to watch a Big Bang Theory episode while waiting to pick my wife up this week.
4) Electric seats are superb, despite the lack of memory feature. Very easy to find a comfortable position and they are firm and supportive.
5) 2Zone Aircon is very good. My wife likes the temp much higher than me and we are both happy now!
6) The cabin quality is superb.
7) The general ergonomics of the design are good, BUT it is still set up for left hand drive as somethings (like the buttons around the gearstick and the cup holders) have not been mirrored and are less ergonomic than they should be.
8) Keyless entry. Don't think I'd order a car without it again. Just works with minimal instruction.

dickt
16-03-2013, 02:27 PM
The main reason why I went for the leather and electric seats was for the seat memory. SWMBO and I have very different seat settings. The memory was for 3 drivers, as in the October 2012 options list.
VW have now determined that UK models DO NOT have memory settings. That is a serious pain in the neck. A waste of about 2000ukp on seats for a feature that they just do not have. Just to rub it in, of course, the manual talks all about the seat position memory!
VW have had the software to do this for years. I used to have it on my 2005 Passat. To refuse to use it in the UK market is a real insult.

Evil Dan
16-03-2013, 02:32 PM
The main reason why I went for the leather and electric seats was for the seat memory. SWMBO and I have very different seat settings. The memory was for 3 drivers, as in the October 2012 options list.
VW have now determined that UK models DO NOT have memory settings. That is a serious pain in the neck. A waste of about 2000ukp on seats for a feature that they just do not have. Just to rub it in, of course, the manual talks all about the seat position memory!
VW have had the software to do this for years. I used to have it on my 2005 Passat. To refuse to use it in the UK market is a real insult.

The memory is not available anywhere, not just in the UK.

Guest 2
16-03-2013, 02:36 PM
I was sitting in a MK7 Golf this afternoon and didn't find it a very pleasing experience.

Nothing made me say WOW but it seems well built and put together, maybe just because I'm use to driving Audi but getting back into he A3 I found it a nicer place to be and a basic standard car was dearer than the equivalent A3 which I also sat in this afternoon plus the A3 gets better standard kit too.

The exterior is nice though and comparing it to the Mk6 its a vast improvement.

Evil Dan
16-03-2013, 02:51 PM
I was sitting in a MK7 Golf this afternoon and didn't find it a very pleasing experience.

Nothing made me say WOW but it seems well built and put together, maybe just because I'm use to driving Audi but getting back into he A3 I found it a nicer place to be and a basic standard car was dearer than the equivalent A3 which I also sat in this afternoon plus the A3 gets better standard kit too.

The exterior is nice though and comparing it to the Mk6 its a vast improvement.

I'm curious what the comparison was. The cheapest Audi A3 Sportback is £19,825 (1.4l petrol) and the cheapest 1.4l petrol 5-door SE Golf is £19,645. The Golf comes with ACC, Front assist, tyre pressure warning, and driver profile selection among others. That lot comes to £1000 alone on the A3.

Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
575.00 GBP

Audi drive select
220.00 GBP

Audi pre sense basic
200.00 GBP

Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with light and rain sensor package
395.00 GBP

DAB digital radio
305.00 GBP

Hold assist
90.00 GBP

Illuminated vanity mirrors
55.00 GBP

Storage and luggage compartment package
145.00 GBP

Through-load facility
150.00 GBP

Tyre pressure loss indicator
75.00 GBP

Total = £2110

mactrack
16-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Agree whenever someone says the A3 is cheaper than the Golf I'm confused as when I did a spec for spec comparison, or as close as possible, the A3 is definitely more expensive. Plus a smaller percentage discount tends to be available on the A3 hence the difference gets even bigger.

dickt
17-03-2013, 06:32 PM
mac and evil. I agree.

J400uk
17-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Thing is most of the extras included on the MK7 SE are a bit gimmicky and won't really get used by a lot of people, and for that reason the A3 SE appears better value especially in 1.2 TSI 105 and 1.4 TSI ACT form.

mactrack
17-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Thing is most of the extras included on the MK7 SE are a bit gimmicky and won't really get used by a lot of people.
Such as?

J400uk
17-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Such as?

ACC, Auto Lights/ Wipers etc. Nice to have but non-essential

Audi gets the core things right IMO and it does actually have one feature missing from the Golf - Sat Nav prep. All you need to enable is just an SD card containing the Maps. On the Golf it would be a complicated retro-fit nightmare to add that on at a later date.

mactrack
17-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Audi gets the core things right IMO and it does actually have one feature missing from the Golf - Sat Nav prep. All you need to enable is just an SD card containing the Maps. On the Golf it would be a complicated retro-fit nightmare to add that on at a later date.
People on here appear to be very impressed with ACC and on other marques it's a very expensive option over normal cruise control. In fact it's the one thing I'm genuinely looking forward to having as it should be extremely useful in theory. I can't remember the last car I had without auto lights and wipers so no doubt I would miss them if they were not there.

The flexibility of a Sat Nav retrofit will be a potential benefit to second owners of 8V A3s though.

vc-10
17-03-2013, 09:20 PM

What about the Golf S then? It doesn't have those 'nice things' either and is cheaper than the SE. If you don't want auto wipers etc, then maybe you don't want alloys, rear electric windows, multi-function steering wheel etc, and the S gives you exactly that. Or, going further than that, what about the Skoda Octavia or the Seat Leon?

Spec-for-spec, the Golf is cheaper than the A3, and the Skoda and Seat are cheaper still. If you don't want the extras that the mid-range Golf has over the bottom-spec A3, but want something that isn't a basic-spec Golf, then get a basic A3. I'm also not convinced that changing out a Golf's head unit for a sat-nav version is going to be any more complicated in the 7 that it was on the 5 or 6- I'd expect that it's just a matter of removing the trim, undoing some screws, and popping in a new unit, it's just that the shape of the hole in the trim has changed from the old rounded-trapezium shape. The Composition Media and Discover Navigation units look to be the equivalents of the RCD510 and RNS510 from the old Golf. The shape of the two looks the same, and I seriously doubt that VW would make 2 trim designs that are so close to each other, but not quite the same. It just wouldn't make sense.

Hotspur
17-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Just back from a 250 mile round trip and I'm getting to like my Mk 7 2.0TDI SE and the ACC in particular which I think is fab. The niggles that I have come from driving a Mk 6 for 4 years and finding things have changed (now there's a surprise). I'll get used to the instrument lights being dimmed via the multi media touch display, the lack of two position door 'stay' and finding the right seat position. But, it's quieter, smoother, more economical (probably), the DAB sound system is pretty good even though it won't play my USB mp3 player and the CD slot is in the glove compartment.

I looked at the Audi A3 sportback and found it would have cost £2k+ to spec it how I wanted (Golf SE spec) and it would have cost £3k+ more after discount. A no brainer financially for me.

HHGTTG
18-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Just back from a 250 mile round trip and I'm getting to like my Mk 7 2.0TDI SE and the ACC in particular which I think is fab. The niggles that I have come from driving a Mk 6 for 4 years and finding things have changed (now there's a surprise). I'll get used to the instrument lights being dimmed via the multi media touch display, the lack of two position door 'stay' and finding the right seat position. But, it's quieter, smoother, more economical (probably), the DAB sound system is pretty good even though it won't play my USB mp3 player and the CD slot is in the glove compartment.

I looked at the Audi A3 sportback and found it would have cost £2k+ to spec it how I wanted (Golf SE spec) and it would have cost £3k+ more after discount. A no brainer financially for me.

Why won't it play your mp3 player? Is there not a provision or adapter lead available from the dealer for plugging this in via the storage just ahead of the gear lever? I have all my music on a USB memory stick in my MK6 and had assumed that the MK7 would be able to incorporate this.Before I bought my MK6 I purchased an mp3 player but then realised I didn't need to keep this is the car, getting baked and frozen but instead left the USB memory stick permanently plugged in.

J400uk
18-03-2013, 11:01 AM
What about the Golf S then? It doesn't have those 'nice things' either and is cheaper than the SE. If you don't want auto wipers etc, then maybe you don't want alloys, rear electric windows, multi-function steering wheel etc, and the S gives you exactly that.

True but for a lot of people features like alloys and a leather mfsw are essential. The Golf S misses these but A3 SE gets as standard.

Spec-for-spec, the Golf is cheaper than the A3, and the Skoda and Seat are cheaper still.
That might be true but the issue is VW limit the range too much, they should have adopted the Audi approach and offered all engines in all trims which would have meant better value could be achieved.

I'm also not convinced that changing out a Golf's head unit for a sat-nav version is going to be any more complicated in the 7 that it was on the 5 or 6- I'd expect that it's just a matter of removing the trim, undoing some screws, and popping in a new unit, it's just that the shape of the hole in the trim has changed from the old rounded-trapezium shape. The Composition Media and Discover Navigation units look to be the equivalents of the RCD510 and RNS510 from the old Golf. The shape of the two looks the same, and I seriously doubt that VW would make 2 trim designs that are so close to each other, but not quite the same. It just wouldn't make sense.

The unit is split into two components, the touchscreen/ controls on the dash and the computer in the glovebox. The cost of swapping a non-nav unit for a nav unit is expensive - http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/505675.aspx

Advantage of the A3 is you literally just need to buy the SD memory card with the maps and get a dealer to activate, the total cost of that won't be any more than £500 and can be done after taking delivery.

I'm not saying the Golf is a bad car, its probably the best all round hatch on the road, I just take issue with the restrictions VW place on the range and I think the pricing is too close to Audi now. This seems to be a view shared by many as I'm aware of a few people swapping Golf MK6s for new A3s and WhatCar gave the A3 COTY over the Golf.

dickt
18-03-2013, 01:54 PM
The A 3 is SO ugly from the driver's seat. Acres of cheap plastic, two HUGE air vents, and a sat nav from the VW UP! stuck on top.
The Golf is not a huge amount better, but when I spend hours driving, the look of the A3 would send me mad.

mactrack
18-03-2013, 02:31 PM
WhatCar gave the A3 COTY over the Golf.
Whereas the MK7 Golf won European car of the year.

Hotspur
18-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Why won't it play your mp3 player? Is there not a provision or adapter lead available from the dealer for plugging this in via the storage just ahead of the gear lever? I have all my music on a USB memory stick in my MK6 and had assumed that the MK7 would be able to incorporate this.Before I bought my MK6 I purchased an mp3 player but then realised I didn't need to keep this is the car, getting baked and frozen but instead left the USB memory stick permanently plugged in.

There is an adaptor lead available to plug a USB device into the system and I have used one from my Mk 6 as suggested by the dealer. This works fine with a USB stick (USB2 compliant) but not with the samsung mp3 player that worked fine in my Mk 6. There may be a Mk 7 specific lead that is required or the old player may not be compatible. Like you I left the cheap player in the car and will do the same with a USB stick. There is a separate thread on this USB issue you may like to follow.

Evil Dan
18-03-2013, 03:52 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with the lead, rather the mp3 player and the stereo are not playing ball with each other.

J400uk
18-03-2013, 06:46 PM
The A 3 is SO ugly from the driver's seat. Acres of cheap plastic, two HUGE air vents, and a sat nav from the VW UP! stuck on top.
The Golf is not a huge amount better, but when I spend hours driving, the look of the A3 would send me mad.

That is basically 100% inaccurate.

Whereas the MK7 Golf won European car of the year.

Exactly, which is why its a UK issue with the Golf pricing and engine availability over here. They don't put up with this nonsense in mainland europe.

algarve
18-03-2013, 07:37 PM

I tend to agree, design wise the A3 is now a stretched A1.
Too shoebox shape for me I'm afraid
Each to their own though.

HHGTTG
18-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I tend to agree, design wise the A3 is now a stretched A1.
Too shoebox shape for me I'm afraid
Each to their own though.

Perhaps, a little unfairly, I have likened the 3-door A3 to a van that has been modified by adding more windows, particularly if finished in White paint!

mactrack
18-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Exactly, which is why its a UK issue with the Golf pricing and engine availability over here. They don't put up with this nonsense in mainland europe.
So why did the 6 UK journalists on the panel vote for the Golf as well then? The A3 didn't even make the shortlist.

andyCYM
20-03-2013, 11:19 PM
And another (little) thing. As well as the air vent trim, the light switch now reflects in the o/s window. The ability to dim dash lights only through the 'infotainment' system instead of a simple switch is completely daft.

HHGTTG
21-03-2013, 12:22 AM
And another (little) thing. As well as the air vent trim, the light switch now reflects in the o/s window. The ability to dim dash lights only through the 'infotainment' system instead of a simple switch is completely daft.

I thought that there was a rotary switch next to the one that alters the headlight level compensator one, like on the MK6?

algarve
21-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I thought that there was a rotary switch next to the one that alters the headlight level compensator one, like on the MK6?

Not any longer..

HHGTTG
21-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Not any longer..

Oh well, that downloaded manual is wrong then. I wonder what else is wrong in that manual? Obviously description below this image implies one is for headlights and the other is for instrument/panel lighting. But still you are speaking from first hand experience. I don't know why can't they get their fact correct when publishing these things.

algarve
21-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm wrong !!
The manual is correct.
Its disappeared on my car but I realise reading your post it must still be there for non Bi-Xenon light cars?
i looked for the switches on mine & they were not there.
Automatic self levelling with Bi-Xenon & my dimming setting now in Infotainment menu !

HHGTTG
21-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm wrong !!
The manual is correct.
Its disappeared on my car but I realise reading your post it must still be there for non Bi-Xenon light cars?
i looked for the switches on mine & they were not there.
Automatic self levelling with Bi-Xenon & my dimming setting now in Infotainment menu !

Don't you also lose the LED running lights with Bi-Xenons? If so then having the latter have got a lot to answer for - personally driving very little at night, now, I wouldn't bother with Xenons but it's all down to personal preferences, isn't it?

algarve
21-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Don't you also lose the LED running lights with Bi-Xenons? If so then having the latter have got a lot to answer for - personally driving very little at night, now, I wouldn't bother with Xenons but it's all down to personal preferences, isn't it?

You don't lose them !
They were never there in the first place for UK cars apparently.
If you're keen on having LED DRLs rather than Halogen DRLs you can order them for an additional £400 approx on top of the cost of Xenons (for 2014 model year.)
Xenons I like myself but as you say its personal preference & the amount of night driving you do.

HHGTTG
21-03-2013, 06:28 PM
You don't lose them !
They were never there in the first place for UK cars apparently.
If you're keen on having LED DRLs rather than Halogen DRLs you can order them for an additional £400 approx on top of the cost of Xenons (for 2014 model year.)
Xenons I like myself but as you say its personal preference & the amount of night driving you do.

Sorry but I am a bit confused now. If I ordered my SE Golf tomorrow, say, with standard headlights, would I get LED DRLs fitted as standard because that is what I'd assumed and practically all cars on the road nowadays seem to have LED DRLs?

algarve
21-03-2013, 06:52 PM
No.
You would get as on your Mk6 but a slightly different style of lamp housing for the Halogen lights & Halogen DRL.
There are probably some pictures posted on here somewhere or google for some images.
Most showrooms have cars with the standard Halogen DRL light set up to see.

andyCYM
20-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Minor, but I think the daftest bit of design without doubt is the USB / Ipod lead socket. To remove the lead the button on the lead needs to be depressed which involves getting your finger into a tiny gap between the head of the lead and the left hand side of the 'ashtray'. Daft. Put the socket it upside down and it would be easy.

I'm still bugged big time by the floppy door stays with only one positive 'stop'. A real pain on a slope or in a wind.

Also, for me (6ft) the seat cushion doesn't have enough support at the front. Definitely a reason to look at an A3 with the front and rear height adjustment.

1.6k miles in, & I think the Mk7 is a very, very good car, and the 1.4 ACT engine is a cracker.

But I'm starting to think that this car doesn't have the 'character' the Mk6 had. On balance, I'd have my 2010 GTD back, not because it was quicker (it was, but not much) but it just felt less impersonal. Anyone else get that impression from the Mk7?

mcmaddy
21-04-2013, 09:15 AM
The GTD comes with bi-xenons and led drl's. A lot of you seem to be comparing different versions of cars eg mk6 gtd to a mk7 GT. Some things may be the same but if you don't compare like for like you can't really tell for sure. I've sat in a mk 7 she and didn't think the seats were that good compared to the mk6 gtd seats. Different cars, different trim levels. Coming from an R Line Tiguan to a mk 7 gtd I've got no reference points as such. The jetta sport I had had leather seats and they were great but the leather electric seats in the tiguan are awful. I can't get comfortable in them.

lesvw123
21-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Minor, but I think the daftest bit of design without doubt is the USB / Ipod lead socket. To remove the lead the button on the lead needs to be depressed which involves getting your finger into a tiny gap between the head of the lead and the left hand side of the 'ashtray'. Daft. Put the socket it upside down and it would be easy.

I'm still bugged big time by the floppy door stays with only one positive 'stop'. A real pain on a slope or in a wind.

Also, for me (6ft) the seat cushion doesn't have enough support at the front. Definitely a reason to look at an A3 with the front and rear height adjustment.

1.6k miles in, & I think the Mk7 is a very, very good car, and the 1.4 ACT engine is a cracker.

But I'm starting to think that this car doesn't have the 'character' the Mk6 had. On balance, I'd have my 2010 GTD back, not because it was quicker (it was, but not much) but it just felt less impersonal. Anyone else get that impression from the Mk7?
I totally agree with you about the front seats ,I complained to the dealer a week after collecting the car the drivers seat had creases in the material at the front the cushion is to soft and the cover moves about,they replaced the cover but it has just done the same
they say that it will take a lot of complaints to Vw before they fix the problem , so I am pushing them to replace the hole seat this is the biggest let down with the car mk6 seats were much better quality.
have you noticed how thin the metal is on the front wings I polished mine last weekend and I have never had Vw metal flex when polishing try pushing the top part of the wing near the window pillar ,money saving and weight .

patjf2001
01-05-2013, 11:03 PM
No dead locks on doors or what VW call safelock system. VW say approved alarm cannot be retro fitted I assumed deadlocking was standard

Before I purchased . It was on the last 3 VW's I had. I dont understand why security would be down graded.Otherwise Car very good .

on Forum from Ireland TDI DSG Highline

jmaluga
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
hi guys

with two points resistance you have to judge "the point" and the distance !!! ??? NO, with new one open it and leave it at any point you want and they will stay. For me great feature

Guest 2
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
No dead locks on doors or what VW call safelock system. VW say approved alarm cannot be retro fitted I assumed deadlocking was standard

Before I purchased . It was on the last 3 VW's I had. I dont understand why security would be down graded.Otherwise Car very good .

on Forum from Ireland TDI DSG Highline

The ROI has so e weird specifications.

I know on some Audis you have to spec an alarm as an optional extra so no surprise VW are doing it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djkelv1
02-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Hi, just got my 1.6 tdi highline today. Very happy bar 2 minor gripes: I didn't opt for voice control but there is still a button labelled "voice"; it mutes the audio, so should have been labelled mute. I opted for the discover media, anyone else's like this?
Also, got a lovely 128gb sd card loaded with music, but I listen to a lot of mix CDs and there's a really annoying gap between tracks as it "jumps" file. Will have to stream mix albums from my iPhone I think, which is a shame. Anyone know of a solution? (As opposed to a workaround!)

MikhailCompo
12-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Hi, just got my 1.6 tdi highline today. Very happy bar 2 minor gripes: I didn't opt for voice control but there is still a button labelled "voice"; it mutes the audio, so should have been labelled mute. I opted for the discover media, anyone else's like this?
Also, got a lovely 128gb sd card loaded with music, but I listen to a lot of mix CDs and there's a really annoying gap between tracks as it "jumps" file. Will have to stream mix albums from my iPhone I think, which is a shame. Anyone know of a solution? (As opposed to a workaround!)

I think you are refering to seemless or gapless play back, and many MP3 playing devices do not have that feature, although many also do. It is clearly not typically straight forward for coders of audio device firmware, and could possibly depend on the hardware (digital sound processor), and I would expect that in car audio is not at the forefront of this area and so if it cannot seemlessly playback MP3 files now, I do not expect that to be resolved in future in this model of stereo/MDI/Golf. Apparently the iPod will playback seemlessly when connected to MDI.

Also, I understand there was a recent firmware update for the MDI? July 2013 i think, might be worth upgrading to see if that makes a difference but as above I doubt it.

Alternatively, you create a single mp3 of the entire album (http://www.makeitone.net/audio/mp3albummaker.htm)- I dont know how, but the file size should not be prohibitive at all, even at 320 kbit/s.

Gapless playback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback)
GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts. (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=162758.0)

Hope this helps!

MikhailCompo
12-08-2013, 08:03 PM
have you noticed how thin the metal is on the front wings I polished mine last weekend and I have never had Vw metal flex when polishing try pushing the top part of the wing near the window pillar ,money saving and weight .

Could this be down to using more alloys/aluminium to keep the weight down and economy up?

Could this be that your polishing arm is heavier than it used to be? :P [kiding!]

kevlarpantz
12-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Covered 6k now in Gt 150 TDI.

Drivers door card arm rest foam has "dented" where my elbow rests. Now as good as no foam on that small area.

Drivers wiper issue.

Still think low knocks from rear when go over slight bumps.

MPG seems to to be mainly dependent on outside air temperature.

pcr
13-08-2013, 10:01 AM
As previous poster, there are low knocks from the rear when going slowly over slight bumps.
Also, it is not possible to access the small window in front of the mirror to clean it.

HHGTTG
13-08-2013, 11:17 AM
As previous poster, there are low knocks from the rear when going slowly over slight bumps.
Also, it is not possible to access the small window in front of the mirror to clean it.

Yes, I have noticed/noted that in the cars I have sat in, in the showrooms. A more daft bit of design you cannot imagine. It serves no purpose whatsoever other than a relocation of a smaller door mirror - if I am correct?

pango1in
17-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I'll add another one. The doors have a fancy system that holds the doors in place when open, wherever you stop them.

Trouble is, when you put the car on a slope (say nose down hill), the doors don't hold their own weight. They just fall wide open. Really is a pain in the bum.

maisbitt
17-08-2013, 05:56 PM
The main thing wrong with the MK7 for me is VW's inability to build me a GTD in a timely fashion, and the fact they don't really care. They are strictly allocated, but I was the first to order at my dealership, expected to be the first built on BW25/26, for late June delivery. My dad got his (3rd to order a GTD from same dealership) on July 1st. Additionally, the dealershipgroup has received 3 GTD demos that were not ordered - why couldn't they get the paying customers ones out first? My build week was progressively pushed back to BW 28, then 33 (it is 33 this week). It hasn't even been started yet. VW UK customer services can't tell me why mine hasn't been started, what is delaying it, or even when to expect it to get made. They have never been able to tell me why it fell 8 weeks in the expected build date. They are a complete shambles and as a result they have drained all my enthusiasm for what is a £26k purchase.

Norbreck21a
17-08-2013, 10:48 PM
If its any consolation Maisbitt, I'm in exactly the same position. Ordered my GTD early April for a late June /early July delivery (god, I must have been gullible), been progressively pushed back and are now sat at build week confirmed for this week (Week 33) for 5 weeks now. As of tonight (Saturday night of week 33), according to the tracker, my car is still in build week confirmed and has not even been started yet.

i could get more sense out of a dyslexic gorilla than the dealership, and VW UK know buggar all and care even less ! Why or why did I ever trust these lying bar stewards ?

Hughmungus
17-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Why has the n/s seat belt got a loop of seatbelt material stitched in it to stop the buckle falling yet the o/s has a plastic button. It annoys the hell out of the Mrs as it constantly touches her arm :confused: