PDA

View Full Version : mk4 golf tdi 2001 90bhp looking to incress power

tombarr19
13-03-2013, 09:13 AM
hi im new to the forum and just bought my mk4 tdi 90bhp 2001 model now my 3rd golf :)
i know its only the 90 so dont wana push for too much just looking for a few simple upgrades for power looking to spend around the £500 mark
so what am i look to do ?
decat ? just smash the cat out ?
egr delete allard or blanking plate ?
front month intercooler kit? if so link to one would be nice:)
remap?
injectors? if so where to get them from and what to get?
got coiles on the way and just doing a full service and cam belt water pump
any more idea people

thanks tom

Doctle Odd
13-03-2013, 09:46 AM
What's your engine code? I'd leave the cat alone, I think all you need to block the EGR will be a £2.00 plate. Get a good remap (dyna, rolling road, before & after) cost you £300.00 ish, that will give you 25-30 extra BHP and corresponding torque. Some site sponsors do good deals on a remap.

tombarr19
13-03-2013, 07:05 PM
hi there i believe its alh engine
and why leave the cat alone ?
blanking plate do the same job as the allard delete?

Doctle Odd
13-03-2013, 08:16 PM
The car could fail MOT on emissions if you remove the cat, blanking plate is fine

tombarr19
13-03-2013, 08:24 PM
the mots not a problem for this case :) :P does it help with power if removed?
can you send me a link to blanking plate / kit ? easy to do need to block any pipes ect?
i know this will be asked all the time on here just looking for the right answer ? i work in garage as the valeter so ive got basic knowledge of cars ect.. and got mechanics to help any work

thanks for any help

Doctle Odd
13-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ebay.co.uk+vw+blanking+plate)

tombarr19
14-03-2013, 08:19 AM
any ideas on injector nozzels to put on ? was thinking just
nozzels
egrblank
map
and should keep me happy

Doctle Odd
14-03-2013, 10:39 AM
.216 nozzles, Bosch ones are about €20.00 each maybe £17-18.00

Eshrules
14-03-2013, 11:11 AM
the mots not a problem for this case :P does it help with power if removed?
can you send me a link to blanking plate / kit ? easy to do need to block any pipes ect?
i know this will be asked all the time on here just looking for the right answer ? i work in garage as the valeter so ive got basic knowledge of cars ect.. and got mechanics to help any work

thanks for any help

How so? Emissions tests are mandatory on MOTs?

tombarr19
14-03-2013, 07:02 PM
the cat isnt needed on this model for it to pass i believe but like any body who has a car thats bad emmisions/modded always knows a mot tester that will do them the favor :P

zollaf
14-03-2013, 07:12 PM
so the tester in the garage you work at will do favours for people. that handy to know, where do you work ?

Doctle Odd
14-03-2013, 08:22 PM
TBH that comment gets right on my ****. No not everyone knows a MOT/NCT tester that will break the law because that's what the implication is. Most of us spend hundreds on MAF sensors, EGR cleaning, vacuum pipes and the myriad of other things that keep our emissions within legal tolerances. Diesels are, by their nature dirty engines at the best of times unless emissions are tightly monitored but the idea that you release exhaust gasses like it's a 1962 David Brown tractor and get someone to falsify a MOT certificate is not something I could condone.
the cat isnt needed on this model for it to pass i believe but like any body who has a car thats bad emmisions/modded always knows a mot tester that will do them the favor :P

Eshrules
14-03-2013, 11:00 PM
You know what really winds me up? I spent a small fortune on that polo of mine, making sure it ran clean enough to pass it's emissions. Not once did I consider getting a bent test done.

I'd love to know which station this is, I'd have their license revoked within a month.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Doctle Odd
14-03-2013, 11:13 PM
I was grinding my teeth reading that Grrrr. I mean people bust their *** to do things right, a cat costs a weeks wages for a lot of people yet they save and buy it because that's the way to pass the MOT.

sneeky-dave
25-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Jesus here come the emissions police :/

For a start diesels don't need a cat as they dont go through an emissions test!! Just a smoke test. Every single person I know with de-cat diesel has passed this test well within the legal tolerances. Even with roadside vosa stops this is not an issue.

Get your self the .216 nossles out of the Volvo's as they are true .216 whereas the ones out the T4 etc are actually smaller, there is lots of info on tdiclub matey. These nossles along with a good map will get you a comfortable 145-155 bph and still return 45-55mpg as long as your egr and inlet are clean. I'd suggest getting an inlet of the 130/50 pd, give it a good clean and just block the egr with a blanking plate and weld it open to save the expensive allard bits. Tho the allard egr delete kit is spot on.

Fmic isn't really needed till 165+.

Then its turbo time!!!!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Eshrules
25-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Jesus here come the emissions police :/

For a start diesels don't need a cat as they dont go through an emissions test!! Just a smoke test. Every single person I know with de-cat diesel has passed this test well within the legal tolerances. Even with roadside vosa stops this is not an issue.

Get your self the .216 nossles out of the Volvo's as they are true .216 whereas the ones out the T4 etc are actually smaller, there is lots of info on tdiclub matey. These nossles along with a good map will get you a comfortable 145-155 bph and still return 45-55mpg as long as your egr and inlet are clean. I'd suggest getting an inlet of the 130/50 pd, give it a good clean and just block the egr with a blanking plate and weld it open to save the expensive allard bits. Tho the allard egr delete kit is spot on.

Fmic isn't really needed till 165+.

Then its turbo time!!!!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

I know plenty of people that speed on our roads, they've never been caught - doesn't make it legal.

The reason people get annoyed with 'friendly' MOT tests is because the majority of us pay for legal MOT tests often at great expense to get the vehicle to that standard.

It'll all be academic anyway once the EU has it's way with their emissions regulations.

stumalaga
25-04-2013, 05:29 PM
A quick and cheap mod is to fit a alloy vent (from B&Q Wickes etc) to the inner offside wheel arch behind the intercooler as this then lets the air flow through the intercooler better. Most noticable above 60mph.

Havelin150
11-07-2013, 04:26 PM
That sounds interesting, got a pic or what that looks like at all Stumalaga??