PDA

View Full Version : Question Dealer MOT, Is it Worth it?

apache24uk
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Just a quick question....

Do you think it's worth getting the MOT done from a Audi main dealer or an independant garage?

Mine's due soon and was wondering what would be the advantages getting it done by Audi.

Cheers

zollaf
12-03-2013, 03:32 PM
it really makes no difference as long as its done properly and by the book. if things are passed that should fail, or failed when they should pass, then thats when the problems start.

Guest 2
12-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Remember if your car fails you get £750 protection should it fail from Audi.

MOT Protection < Maintaining your Audi < Owners area < Audi UK (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/maintaining-your-audi/mot-protection.html)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

c.grex
12-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Remember if your car fails you get £750 protection should it fail from Audi.

MOT Protection < Maintaining your Audi < Owners area < Audi UK (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/maintaining-your-audi/mot-protection.html)

So I read this as, you have your service done at Audi and then they will MOT your car for £49.99, if it fails they will give you £750??

Does this not mean they check everything in the service, so it can't. Fail?

MLI33D
12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
So I read this as, you have your service done at Audi and then they will MOT your car for £49.99, if it fails they will give you £750??

Does this not mean they check everything in the service, so it can't. Fail?

I've read the Ts and Cs and it says any VAT registered Garage.

This MOT protection is a bit of an eye-opener and has got me reconsidering using my regular guy over the years as he's not VAT registered but very good and cheap..........

xtremist
12-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Last time my Audi was MOT'd by Audi, it was done by a garage down the road from the dealer

gdallas
13-03-2013, 05:50 PM
so if my cars fails for brake pads are somthign, i basically get new ones for free?? this sounds too good to be true!

Guest 2
13-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Obviously you need to check the terms and conditions on their website and face to face with the dealer.

moptisam2
13-03-2013, 09:18 PM
A few years ago I was getting new tyres from a tyre centre in a city in the North of England and was told that they do all the MOT's for the Audi dealer.

c.grex
13-03-2013, 09:47 PM
so if my cars fails for brake pads are somthign, i basically get new ones for free?? this sounds too good to be true!

I read it as this would really be impossible. They would tell you at the service you need the work done. If you don't have that work done and the car fails, this wouldn't be covered for that work.

I'd put money on it that audi don't pay £750 out much, if at all! They will pick the work up at the service (you have to have a service for the MOT protection)

n0v
14-03-2013, 12:39 AM
If a service is due during the period it has to be done by Audi but a service is not a requirement, just the last service must have been completed to manufacturers spec at VAT registred garage.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/UsedCars/Non-FSA%20Warranty%20Policy_v9.pdf

Might be worth it, mine is covered for the next MOT and they have sent the letter to me. Good if something is wrong and i am covered.

dsnotts
14-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi Guys!

Interesting thread this...my A4 isn't due an MOT just yet but something that i used to do when i was on the other-side (BMW) was get them to price match my local MOT place, most times that was even around £34.99! So if you can get your local AUDI dealer to do this it would be a win-win situation ;)

c.grex
14-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm surprised people thing this is a good deal?

I just think its Audi's way of getting a service and MOT off you.

If you choose to have your MOT carried out at an Audi Centre as well as maintain your vehicle in line with the manufacturer’s service schedule, you can benefit from an MOT test for £49.99 and receive free MOT protection.

so you have to a keep the car serviced in line with what Audi say and you have to set the MOT policy with 3 months of the MOT. It's up to the garage if they except the car being serviced elsewhere. And all the common things that fail aren't' covered. i.e.brake pads and shoes, tyres and wheels, wiring, fuses, blubs.

NickPicks
14-03-2013, 02:59 PM
And all the common things that fail aren't' covered. i.e.brake pads and shoes, tyres and wheels, wiring, fuses, blubs.

Those are the things it's really easy to check yourself the day before the MOT test (OK, a lot of people wouldn't know how to check the brake pads for wear, and the inside edge of the tyre can be difficult).

I did have an MOT done by Audi once (they were doing them free of charge a few years ago). They got a local testing station to test it.

113brucey
14-03-2013, 06:31 PM
a mot is a mot should not matter where its done . the only thing about dealers is if there r commo faults they r going to find them .thats when price goes up ???audi mot testers are the same as any other the should do the test according to vosa critera???/

yes i am a mot tester

A4BlackEdition
14-03-2013, 09:15 PM
I have had the mot cover on a vw, its a con tbh as it doesnt cover wear and tear items, so is a way to coax you into a service and paying audi for any replacement tyres, brakes etc.

put it this way, on my vw passat even though i had both valid main dealer warranty, and mot cover, i got stung for new brakes and pads that were only 60 percent worn, because of 'rust on them' that was apparently causing a front brake caliper to bind.

MLI33D
18-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm surprised people thing this is a good deal?

I just think its Audi's way of getting a service and MOT off you.

so you have to a keep the car serviced in line with what Audi say and you have to set the MOT policy with 3 months of the MOT. It's up to the garage if they except the car being serviced elsewhere. And all the common things that fail aren't' covered. i.e.brake pads and shoes, tyres and wheels, wiring, fuses, blubs.

For the avoidance of doubt the service needs to be "....at a VAT registered garage" - ie not just an Audi garage: http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/OwnersArea/MOT_Protection_T_C.pdf

and what's not covered (eg brake pads): http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/OwnersArea/MOT_Summary_of_Cover_PDF.pdf

c.grex
18-03-2013, 01:00 PM
What I'm trying to say is the terms say 'registration under this cover is at the discretion of Audi aproved centre' , so if the don't want to offer you the cover they don't have too.

MLI33D
18-03-2013, 01:24 PM
What I'm trying to say is the terms say 'registration under this cover is at the discretion of Audi aproved centre' , so if the don't want to offer you the cover they don't have too.

True - in any case you can get them to confirm whether they offer the cover in advance of committing a service with them. Just get it in writing in case they change their stance later on prior to the MOT itself......

theskyfox
18-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Not sure how they stand with it now, but a few years back Southend Audi used to offer a free MOT if you did other work with them. I used to get them to do my Oil and filter change (£99 at the time). Worked out a bargain really, took advantage of it for two years in a row before finally changing my car...

-Andrew

The Technician
20-03-2013, 10:27 AM
The free MOT has been replaced with the one with the £750 cover.