PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder on demand available to order from today

KevTHC
11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Found out today that COD/ACT engine is available to order on A3 from today. As it is also for A1.

JonLees
20-03-2013, 11:17 PM
That's great news. I've been waiting months for the A3 COD to become available.

KevTHC
20-03-2013, 11:39 PM
That's great news. I've been waiting months for the A3 COD to become available.

Yes, they've been a long time in the coming. You gonna order one?

Norbreck21a
21-03-2013, 09:36 AM
But when are we going to get the S-Tronic version - that's the one I'm waiting for !!!!

KevTHC
21-03-2013, 10:18 AM
But when are we going to get the S-Tronic version - that's the one I'm waiting for !!!!

Dealer told me there would be a couple of months between manual and auto releases.

JonLees
21-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, they've been a long time in the coming. You gonna order one?

I'd seriously consider ordering one as the potential MPG figures look almost too good to be true. However, going on recent press reports about manufacturers fuel efficiency figures, they probably are too good to be true! ;-) See BBC News - 'Carmakers manipulate emissions tests' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21759258)

My only concern with the 1.4 TFSI COD engine is refinement. I guess it will never be as smooth as a conventional full-time 4 cylinder engine and haven't had the chance to try one out so far. Surely it's got to be quieter than the TDI. Has anyone else compared the standard petrol engine against the COD currently available in the A1?

KevTHC
21-03-2013, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=JonLees;795009 Has anyone else compared the standard petrol engine against the COD currently available in the A1?[/QUOTE]

I've driven both engines, the standard in both an A3 and an A1, and the COD in the Golf GT, and I didn't feel any obvious smoothness issues with the latter. The Audi setup for the COD engine will be different of course, but the switches from 2 to 4, and vice versa, were seamless and very impressive to my mind. I'm no car expert, however.