PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 TSI ACT now offered in the Audi A3 for £2k less

J400uk
11-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Golf 1.4 TSI ACT, Audi have today announced the availability of this engine in the A3. Unlike VW they are not restricting it to one trim only and are instead offering it throughout the range in all trims. This means it starts from a mere £20,055 for the 3dr SE against the excessive £22,305 VW charge for the 3dr GT. Equipment levels aren't bad either as even for £20k you are still getting 16in alloys, 5.8" colour display, Bluetooth, USB/ iPod connectivity, Sat Nav preparation, Air Conditioning, Leather MFSW and DIS.

Press release here New super-frugal Audi A1 and a3 ‘CoD’ models make the cut < Latest news < About Audi < Audi UK (http://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/new-super-frugal-audi-a1-and-a3-cod-models-make-the-cut.html)

Really does make you wonder what is going on with the VW pricing these days, and remember the A3 residual values are higher.

algarve
11-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Golf 1.4 TSI ACT, Audi have today announced the availability of this engine in the A3. Unlike VW they are not restricting it to one trim only and are instead offering it throughout the range in all trims. This means it starts from a mere £20,055 for the 3dr SE against the excessive £22,305 VW charge for the 3dr GT. Equipment levels aren't bad either as even for £20k you are still getting 16in alloys, 5.8" colour display, Bluetooth, USB/ iPod connectivity, Sat Nav preparation, Air Conditioning, Leather MFSW and DIS.

Press release here New super-frugal Audi A1 and a3 ‘CoD’ models make the cut < Latest news < About Audi < Audi UK (http://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/new-super-frugal-audi-a1-and-a3-cod-models-make-the-cut.html)

Really does make you wonder what is going on with the VW pricing these days, and remember the A3 residual values are higher.

The price is not that different and ' the excessive £22,305 VW charge for the 3dr GT ' includes a lot of equipment that Audi I suspect will sting you with cost wise over and above the basic £20,055.
E.G Dab radio £305., SAT nav £495., Cruise £225., Pre -sense basic £200., Auto dimming rear view mirror with light /rain sensor £395., Tyre Pressure Monitor £75., Accoustic parking rear only £345.
The list probably goes on with privacy glass, sports suspension, front sports seats. 17" alloys., XDS,...
You pay your money and take your choice depending on what you want of course but the price is not excessive.

Encounter90
18-04-2014, 09:03 PM
I considered the A3 Sportback, it is a fine car but I had a bad experience at the local dealer which soured me on the car. I arranged a test drive of a 1.4 and then when I arrived the salesman asked how much I wanted to spend and gave me a test drive in a 1.6TDi whilst almost ordering me to buy a poverty spec 1.2 assuring me I would notice no difference between the 1.6TDi and 1.2 petrol. I wanted the A3 in sport trim which is a nice balance of getting some nice trim without going silly on price. In a way he probably did me a favour as after checking the Golf I think VW did a much better job with styling (magazines go on about how it looks just the same but see a Mk.7 next to a 5 or 6 and it is surprising just how much sharper the 7 looks) and I prefer the interior. And although the omission of climate control in the GT seems very mean some of the other standard spec stuff like sat-nav, adaptive cruise, front and rear parking sensors and auto lights/dimming mirror are things well worth having that bump the A3 price up significantly.

Guest 2
18-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Did you consider the new Seat Leon? Bucket loads of spec as standard, nav, full led headlamps, bluetooth nearly everything!

Encounter90
18-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Yes, the Leon is a cracking car and quite a bargain, I also had a long look at the Octavia which is a great car. In the end I just liked the Golf, it is more expensive than the Skoda and Seat but I think the styling is one of those slow burners where initially you don't look twice at it and then find yourself looking at it more and more and I like the interior of the Golf. I'm guessing I'd have been happy with any of the four sister cars (Golf, A3, Leon, Octavia) and in the end it was a subjective choice. The A3 would probably have been the default as I was changing from an A1.

dickt
22-04-2014, 01:51 PM
The A3 is just too ugly for the driver. The view from the driver's seat is a sea of plastic with 2 Volcanoes as air vents and a sat nav from the VW UP sat on the dash. Quite ugly!

cs2009
22-04-2014, 04:39 PM
The A3 is just too ugly for the driver. The view from the driver's seat is a sea of plastic with 2 Volcanoes as air vents and a sat nav from the VW UP sat on the dash. Quite ugly!

I'm inclined to agree.

I will be trading in my A3 for a Golf GT next month, and much prefer the Golf styling, both inside and out. The reviews blather on about the A3 interior, but I now think that whereas the Golf interior is classy and understated, the A3 is just tacky and blingy. The ergonomics in the A3 are poor too: The whole dash is set much lower than normal in order to accommodate the pop-up screen, so the controls are set too low and bunched together.