PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk 7 SE - Rear light cluster leaking water.

Li_Greeny
11-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi All, new to the forum today.

I took possession of my new mk7 golf on Tuesday last week, and I must say its fantastic.

However I have noticed somewhat of an issue with the rear light cluster, due to the great British weather we have been having it's full of water / condensation after a bit of rainy day on Saturday / Sunday (no I haven't driven through floods).

Specifically, its the tail lights that are on the boot lid, not the surrounding tail lights in the car.

I know it shouldn't be doing it, but shouldn't the light cluster be surrounded by a rubber seal, as I have installed headlights (on my old Astra) in the past and it came with these installed yet I cant see them on the back.

I only ask because I wanted to find out it was a generic fault with the Mk7 or just a problem with my vehicle? Either way, I was going to ring the dealer to find out as well.

Thanks.

JDB007
14-03-2013, 06:44 PM
My cars arriving in a couple of weeks (In transit) so looking forward to that. You MUST take the car back to your dealer and get them to fix it under warranty, as its a bit early to assume if that's a generic fault. Good luck and keep the forum updated on the results - its want we all want to hear about. :D

JimC64
15-03-2013, 02:46 AM
+1 on JDB's comments

Its new so get it back tot he dealer and insist that they fix it.

Over on the A6 C64F froum where I reside, we have had many many issues with rear lights filling with condensation. In fact my car now at 100k miles and 6 years old I've had 7 sets of replacement lights and still suffered the same problem.

We ended up drilling holes in the bottom of the cluster to allow for air flow to alleviate the problem and now all is well.......Shouldn't have to though really, lets face it!!

Hopefully your issues are much different and more easily resolved.

Get to the dealer and get it fixed.

Good luck and hope to hear

Li_Greeny
07-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi Guys.

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I promise it was my intention to do so. :-)

Called up the dealership and they agreed it shouldn`t be happening and wanted it in ASAP. After leak testing the car a fault was found in the rear window not being correctly bonded to the car, and therefore was leaking water into the lights. As they cant do a window replacement on site they got an external company to refit under warranty. It was done the same day and since then, including rain and a wash later the issue is resolved.

I had been somewhat dissapointed with the condition of the car as that was the 2nd thing wrong with it since I picked it up. Not what I expected from VW.

Guest 2
07-04-2013, 06:37 PM
When you're building thousands of cars there's bound to be one or two problems.

Glad it got sorted though.