PDA

View Full Version : SE v Sport version on Sportback and wheel size

icebun
11-03-2013, 06:55 AM
I currently have a VW Golf VI SE with 17 inch wheels and Sports suspension.

I must admit I find the ride harsh and the tyre roar quite high (especially at motorway speeds). When changing tyres, I do experience near silence but not for long as they begin to wear in!

Whilst it is too early to see how we the new Audi copes with isolating exterior noise, I am tempted to switch to a Sportback SE.

I quite fancied the Sport version with standard suspension but it is the potential road noise that is putting me off the larger tyres.

Is anyone of the same frame of mind or can comment? I can spec up to the equivalent bar the steering wheel and seats.

By the way does the Bose sound system have any noise cancellations capabilities? In any case as far as I understand it, once you upgrade the stereo, you will lose the spare wheel due to the sub woofer.

It's so new it's hard to get any user reviews but here goes.

james_tiger_woo
11-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I looked at the Sport myself as I fancied the nicer seats but felt that the lower ride on the 17s wouldn't be an improvement on my Mk6 TDi GT on 18s - And let's not talk about road noise on a GT with 18s - it's beyond terrible apart from on brand new tyres. I didn't think that the sport gave you all that much over the SE. Well, that was my view anyway - so I went for the SE with 17s (it looks nicer). The way I see it, though, if you go for the Sport with standard setup, is it worth it - The seats will be comfortable and the steering wheel will still be that big round thing in front of you :) with the SE :)

From what I read, it's B&O - not Bose though:

Quote from the A3 Brochure:
Bang & Olufsen sound system. Surround sound reproduction via 14 high-performance speakers including centre speaker in the dashboard and subwoofer in the spare wheel well. 15-channel amplifier with a total output of 705 watts. Exclusive speaker covers with aluminium applications and LED lighting accentuating the front woofers. The sound is permanently adapted to compensate for driving and background noises determined by a microphone. 5.1 surround sound reproduction is possible when ordered in conjunction with Technology package

I went for the Audi sound system though as I didn't think the B&O system was £500 better:

Quote from the A3 Brochure:
Audi sound system. 10 speakers in total including centre speaker in the dashboard and subwoofer in the spare wheel well. 6-channel amplifier with a total output of 180 watts

KevTHC
11-03-2013, 02:45 PM
In any case as far as I understand it, once you upgrade the stereo, you will lose the spare wheel due to the sub woofer.

I cannot remember why I think this, but I was under the impression that the sub and spare fitted together in the space without problems.

james_tiger_woo
11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I cannot remember why I think this, but I was under the impression that the sub and spare fitted together in the space without problems.

It doesn't specifically say in the brochure that it removes the spare wheel - if so, that's a BIG sub :)

icebun
11-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks Guys.

James thanks for the correction on the sound system manufacturer.

I am assuming with either the B&O or the Audio offering, the dashboard location for the sub will be the space where the cigarette lighter is as I cannot see room anywhere else.

As for the spare wheel, take a look at the attached image from VWs' website where the hardware uses the boot (on the Golf). Whilst not the same, I just assumed it would take the spare amount of space.19706

James would you say that the SE had wider seats and the stock steering wheel on the SE looked OK? Cannot find that many pictures of it so I am assuming it has all the same buttons and it is just the shape (aka cosmetics).

james_tiger_woo
11-03-2013, 04:33 PM
I think it looks ok - Here's a link to the brochure which might help - Dropbox - a3 - new.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkmx3jv2ahn6kjt/a3%20-%20new.pdf) - I just seems to look different as they're both MF wheels - maybe they feel different or something, but I can't comment on that one.

There's nothing about the Sub or what space it takes up though but it does state it's in the spare wheel well - I can't see it filling the whole wheel well though as that would be oversized for a car.

PjDali
11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm patiently waiting on collecting my new A3 SB and I opted for the Audi Sound System and I was given access to my new car to have a nosy for a half hour and unless my memory is playing tricks on me I could swear i seen a spare wheel and sub nestled in the middle of it under the boot floor.

Ill not be near the dealer until at least this time next week otherwise I'd have taken a pic of it.

icebun
12-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the pdf James, most helpful.

By the way, I found this picture re the B&O subwoofer on an A3. Judging by the size, it does look this it completely replaces the spare though.

PjDali
12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the pdf James, most helpful.

By the way, I found this picture re the B&O subwoofer on an A3. Judging by the size, it does look this it completely replaces the spare though.

I've seen they pic before on Audi-Sport.net and the line of thought was no spare cos it was a Quattro?

KevTHC
12-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I got this from Matt at Cambridge Audi, in response to my asking if the sub left room for the spare wheel:

There is no mention anywhere that the Subwoofer removes the spare wheel, and
I do seem to remember the last one we had in still had the spare wheel. At
the moment though I do not have a car in to confirm this either way with
100% certainty. I will endeavour to do this for you as soon as possible.

james_tiger_woo
12-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Unless the Sub is enormous, I can't see why the spacesaver would be missing

Norbreck21a
13-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Test drove a SB last weekend fitted with the B&O system. I can 100% confirm it had both a space saver spare and a sub (which fitted inside it).

KevTHC
13-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Test drove a SB last weekend fitted with the B&O system. I can 100% confirm it had both a space saver spare and a sub (which fitted inside it).

Thanks for the confirmation. By the way, was the B&O good?

james_tiger_woo
13-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. By the way, was the B&O good?

Don't answer that. I don't want to regret only the getting the Audi sound system...

KevTHC
14-03-2013, 12:30 AM
By the way, was the B&O good?
Pleeeeaaaase answer!

james_tiger_woo
14-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Pleeeeaaaase answer!

And how effective was the active sound deadening?

Norbreck21a
14-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Well, because I had a salesman with me on the drive (as it was before the official launch date of the A3 SB), I didn't really test it, plus the car didn't have an AMI cable in it so I couldn't test out my Ipod.

However, when we arrived back at the dealership, the salesman left me alone to play. As I had my current VW Scirocco with me (with the MDI - VW's version of AMI), I whipped out my Ipod and MDI lead from the Rocco, and tried it to see if it worked in the Audi. Low and behold, it fitted and worked perfectly. I had full control over the Ipod, Cover art displayed on the flip up screen, and after I had played with B&O sound settings (everything was set to flat), tried it out. OH MY GOD !!!!I played AC-DC's Highway to Hell. It nearly blew the windows out and the whole car shook from the bass. Then tried some 80's techno (Black Box - Ride on Time) and again, amazing. Solid thumping bass, crystal clear highlights, and a super stereo separation. What really impressed is with all the bass (I am a bit of a bass junkie), non of the door trims of other bits of trim in the car rattled or vibrated - no distortion at all !

If you are into your music, (like I am) it's a definite tick in my mind. Only wish I had a DVD with me to try out the 5.1 surround sound !

james_tiger_woo
14-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Can you watch dvds by default or is it just with the B&O system?

KevTHC
16-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Can you watch dvds by default or is it just with the B&O system?

I think DVD playing comes with Technology pack and 5.1 sound on DVD comes if you have B&O.

icebun
26-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Now that the issue with the subwoofer has been sorted, is anyone actually going to purchase an SE on standard 16" wheels to reduce the chance of excessive tyre roar getting into the cabin?

KevTHC
26-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Now that the issue with the subwoofer has been sorted, is anyone actually going to purchase an SE on standard 16" wheels to reduce the chance of excessive tyre roar getting into the cabin?

We test-drove a Sport, with the associated sport suspension, but with the larger 18" wheels from the S-line, and found the ride and the noise levels to be just fine. However, we didn't have a very long test, only 30 mins or so.