PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Sign Display missing

Evil Dan
05-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me. I have both the Discover Navigation Pro (which displays speeds built into the Sat Nav database - this is working, but only when in the Nav mode), but also the Lane Assist with the camera detected Traffic Sign Display. The menu option to turn this on and off is missing from the "Car" and Multifunction Display menus and I see no signs at all on the multifunction display. Does anyone else have the same problem? If not do you see the options for this feature in the menu.

I suspect that as my car clearly has the camera (the Lane Assist is functioning normally) I wonder if the Infotainment unit software simply hasn't been told that the Traffic Sign Recognition camera is installed.

Evil Dan
05-03-2013, 10:43 PM
http://youtu.be/dNJMP0WnfGQ

You'll see in the top middle of the MFD that there is a sign displayed and the compass is in the bottom left. On mine there is no sign and the compass is where the sign is in the video.

lozzer
07-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Got the same spec and wondered if there was an update?

Redjim64
07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
I have the standard Discover Nav (not Pro) along with Lane Assist, and only see the speed signs built into the sat nav - and like you, only on the nav screen, not on the multifunction display.
My dealer says that VW technical have said that the Traffic Sign Recognition feature is only available with Discover Pro - which is extremely disappointing since this was the main reason I got the Lane Assist. I have not seen this published anywhere and don't really understand why it should only be active with the Pro nav - would be interested in other people's opinion/understanding of this.
My dealer also said that he had a Golf with both Pro and Lane Assist, and that he could see the signs in the multifunction - so it might just be a software upgrade that you require. Wish I could say the same...

mactrack
07-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh dear this sounds ominous! Our GT is coming with standard Nav and the Lane Assist package and I thought the traffic signs would be shown in the multifunction display as well.

Evil Dan
07-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Oh dear this sounds ominous! Our GT is coming with standard Nav and the Lane Assist package and I thought the traffic signs would be shown in the multifunction display as well.

It would be completely useless without. The nav is set up for a left hand drive car in that the signs are displayed on the left hand side of the nav screen. You have to look almost at the glove compartment to see them.

The manual is very clear that the Sign Assist displays the signs on the MF display. Will have to add it to the list of things for the dealer.

My Discover Nav Pro has version 0095 software installed.

Redjim64
08-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Mine is a GT as well. I must stress that I'm only seeing the speed signs held in the sat nav database...not signs 'recognised' by the camera. Such is the accuracy of the nav - the display changes almost immediately as you pass a speed sign - that I only realised the signs were not being recognised when I drove along a road that had its limit changed recently...the old limit was displayed.

Evil Dan
09-03-2013, 07:24 PM
http://www.volkswagen.ie/content/medialib/vwd4/ie/pdf-downloads/product-guides/new-golf-product-guide/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.download_attachment.file/product-guide-golf-a7_january-2013_v2.pdf

Found this on the Irish website (see page 5). It seems that the Lane Assist with High Beam Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition is part no. PFG (in conjunction with Discover Nav Pro), however I have my order and it clearly shows part no. PFA (Lane Assist & High Beam Assist only), which is incorrect as I have the Discover Pro.

Will wait to see what the dealer/VW say about what can be done, but with the electric seat and xenon mis-selling I think they will be building me a new car at this rate. The price is identical so I've got my fingers crossed it is simply a software update that is required.

Evil Dan
16-03-2013, 08:11 AM
So it seems that the traffic sign recognition is not available on UK cars despite it clear talking about a camera recognising signs in all variations of the brochure. The only configurable part on a UK car is PFA (without traffic sign recognition) At least VW have agreed to refund me the cost of the Lane Assist as I only wanted the traffic signs.

What marketing/sales moron decided that even though it doesn't cost any extra they would fit the basic version without the sign recognition?

Redjim64
16-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Completely agree -it's ridiculous. The hardware is there (camera) so why not implement it with both versions of the nav.

Can't believe the latest version of the brochure still wrong "Traffic Sign display uses a camera to detect speed restrictions and warning signs on the road ahead, which are then displayed to the driver. Standard on GT and optional on SE models. Traffic Sign display is included in navigation systems and part of the Lane assist option."

Like you, sign recognition was the only reason I ordered this pack - how did you go about getting a refund for the Lane Assist ? Dealer ? Customer Services ?

mactrack
16-03-2013, 02:12 PM
how did you go about getting a refund for the Lane Assist ? Dealer ? Customer Services ?
+1 Whilst I have already had a small goodwill discount from VW UK I fully intend to try for more now if this is the case regarding the traffic sign display.

Evil Dan
17-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Completely agree -it's ridiculous. The hardware is there (camera) so why not implement it with both versions of the nav.

Can't believe the latest version of the brochure still wrong "Traffic Sign display uses a camera to detect speed restrictions and warning signs on the road ahead, which are then displayed to the driver. Standard on GT and optional on SE models. Traffic Sign display is included in navigation systems and part of the Lane assist option."

Like you, sign recognition was the only reason I ordered this pack - how did you go about getting a refund for the Lane Assist ? Dealer ? Customer Services ?

I actually spoke to VW Customer Services in the first instance (I felt their technical support might know the answer quicker) and they then dealt with the dealer directly then after the deal dealt directly with me. Hope that makes sense.

My impression is that the refund is coming from VW to the dealer then to me.

cdgthreesalmons
17-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Evil Dan, Can you confirm that if you have Discover PRO satnav and LaneAssist, Uk spec cars will NOT display traffic signs/speed limits in the MFA screen? Has this been confirmed to you by VW UK??

Evil Dan
17-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Evil Dan, Can you confirm that if you have Discover PRO satnav and LaneAssist, Uk spec cars will NOT display traffic signs/speed limits in the MFA screen? Has this been confirmed to you by VW UK??

Basically there are 2 different things:

Traffic Sign Display: this is part of the Sat Nav system and displays speed restrictions built into the database on the main navigation screen, only while viewing the map. There are no signs displayed on the multi-function display.

Traffic Sign Recognition: this uses the lane assist camera to detect road signs and displays them in the multi-function display.

From what VW and the dealer have told me there is currently there is no option for traffic sign recognition available in the UK and as I said higher up the traffic sign recognition and lane assist requires a different part code on order and that is not available when the dealer tried to do a dummy order after I contacted them. You could ask your dealer if the lane assist option they have ordered is PFA (it should be as the PFG option is not available). If it is PFA then definitely no sign recognition.

lozzer
28-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Just to add a bit more mystery to this thread...I picked my car up today and the speed limit *is* displayed on the MFD.

Also drove 300 miles home and the lane assist is both brilliant and a pain. It will nudge the wheel back into the lane but provides an irritating slight resistance if you just glide out out overtake.
Indicating or a direct movement to overtake obviates this slight niggle.

I guess I will have to learn to indicate :)

Evil Dan
28-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Just to add a bit more mystery to this thread...I picked my car up today and the speed limit *is* displayed on the MFD.

Also drove 300 miles home and the lane assist is both brilliant and a pain. It will nudge the wheel back into the lane but provides an irritating slight resistance if you just glide out out overtake.
Indicating or a direct movement to overtake obviates this slight niggle.

I guess I will have to learn to indicate :)

Out of curiosity what software version and nav set up do you have. Where are the signs displayed? Also is it just the speed limit you are seeing, not other warning signs? If so it may well be that it is using the nav database, not the camera.

lozzer
29-03-2013, 01:55 AM
The main thing that led me to believe that the camera was working was that the variable speed limits on the motorways I used were displayed on the MFD (& the sat nav)

I cannot see how these could have been programmed into the map database.

Can you explain where I have to look to find the detail you need?

Cheers

Evil Dan
29-03-2013, 07:04 AM
The main thing that led me to believe that the camera was working was that the variable speed limits on the motorways I used were displayed on the MFD (& the sat nav)

I cannot see how these could have been programmed into the map database.

Can you explain where I have to look to find the detail you need?

Cheers

It's in the settings menu then you should scroll down to near the bottom and you'll see an option for System Information. Select that and under Software version you'll see a number. Mine says 0095 and I have the Discover Nav Pro. Cheers.

lozzer
29-03-2013, 10:47 AM
It's in the settings menu then you should scroll down to near the bottom and you'll see an option for System Information. Select that and under Software version you'll see a number. Mine says 0095 and I have the Discover Nav Pro. Cheers.
H40
SG003502A

I have looked in my service book and cannot see either of p[art no PFA or PFG whci you referred to in an earlier post.

I guess traffic sign recognition is activated in the assist menu. pg 32 manual?

Cheers

Evil Dan
29-03-2013, 01:13 PM
H40
SG003502A

I have looked in my service book and cannot see either of p[art no PFA or PFG whci you referred to in an earlier post.

I guess traffic sign recognition is activated in the assist menu. pg 32 manual?

Cheers

Do you actually see Traffic Sign Recognition as an option to turn on and off in the menu? If so I have been lied to by VW.

Also when did you order your car?

mactrack
29-03-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm also confused as to this. Picked up our GT 1.4 TSi ACT DSG yesterday which came with the Lane Assist package, but standard Nav, and I never once saw a traffic speed sign in the MFD but did in the top left corner of the Nav display. I notice from the recent price list that traffic sign display is included in the Lane Assist package, if you have the Pro Nav, but does not say whether you should see it in the MFD.

Evil Dan
29-03-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm also confused as to this. Picked up our GT 1.4 TSi ACT DSG yesterday which came with the Lane Assist package, but standard Nav, and I never once saw a traffic speed sign in the MFD but did in the top left corner of the Nav display. I notice from the recent price list that traffic sign display is included in the Lane Assist package, if you have the Pro Nav, but does not say whether you should see it in the MFD.

This is exactly what I see, but I have the Discover Nav Pro. Will be interesting to see what Lozzer says, but he is running the same software version as my car.

lozzer
29-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Car in garage and just taken a very poor pic which might indicate just that the traffic recognition has an option to display signs on MFD.

Happy to take a better one tomorrow if needed.

I ordered the car via email, not in dealers, just before Christmas. I had a sense that the dealer did not put in through until the new year.

I have discover Pro

Evil Dan
29-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Car in garage and just taken a very poor pic which might indicate just that the traffic recognition has an option to display signs on MFD.

Happy to take a better one tomorrow if needed.

I ordered the car via email, not in dealers, just before Christmas. I had a sense that the dealer did not put in through until the new year.

I have discover Pro

That's definitely the traffic sign recognition. VW are going to have some very awkward questions to answer on Tuesday - they claimed it definitely wasn't available on UK cars and that the error was with the brochure.

lozzer
29-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I think there is a lot of new technology on the mk7 which foxes some dealers and also VW customer care.

I talked to them about this and they were (VW) were adamant that it was there and part of lane assist. I had to wait until yesterday to find out.

Good luck Tuesday and post back.

mactrack
29-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I checked my settings menu but don't have this option. Also my dealer, who has been excellent, was already aware of the lack of traffic sign display in the MFD when we picked the car up yesterday.

Redjim64
30-03-2013, 01:08 AM
I have a 1.4 GT ACT with Lane Assist and standard Discovery media and do not have the traffic sign display. Contacted customer services, who said (predictably) that it *should* be there, and to contact my local dealer. Not done this yet....

lozzer
30-03-2013, 10:09 AM
That's definitely the traffic sign recognition. VW are going to have some very awkward questions to answer on Tuesday - they claimed it definitely wasn't available on UK cars and that the error was with the brochure.

Just a thought, did you opt for a colour MFD?

Evil Dan
30-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Just a thought, did you opt for a colour MFD?

Yes, have the colour MFD too. Have all the correct components, but nothing showing. I'm going to insist that VW technical support discuss it with me, or I will go to trading standards for their lying.

I'm still of the opinion it's a software issue or the camera needs changing. Either way they can fix it.

cdgthreesalmons
30-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Lozzer,

1. Does the traffic sign recognition work in the MFD even if you have "lane assist" deactivated?

2. As asked previously can see you other signs other than speed limits shown in the MFD?

I would be interested to know - I have ordered discover pro and was wondering about adding lane assist to be able to view speed limits in the MFD.

Thanks.

lozzer
30-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Lozzer,

1. Does the traffic sign recognition work in the MFD even if you have "lane assist" deactivated?

2. As asked previously can see you other signs other than speed limits shown in the MFD?

I would be interested to know - I have ordered discover pro and was wondering about adding lane assist to be able to view speed limits in the MFD.

Thanks.

1) have not deactivated lane assist but will do tomorrow and post back.

2) Only speed limits but I have only used the car once and not seen anything it may have been meant to recognise.

cheers

lozzer
31-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Traffic sign display works with lane assist deactivated.

Does not work when Traffic Sign Recognition deactivated in setup, clearly indicating it is a separate function from the data stored in maps.

Looking at the handbook and the various symbols that can be displayed refer to lower speeds when raining. The sort you see in France, for example.

The advantage to seeing speed limits in the MFD is that you need not have the nav screen on. I could live without it.

j12000
13-04-2013, 04:02 PM
This post has become focused upon the availability of Traffic sign display with lane assist, but according to the latest UK brochure (page 32) Traffic Sign display using a camera to detect speed restrictions and warning signs is standard on GT models (ie whether or not lane assist, or discover pro options are fitted).... Just wondering if any more developments are emerging from those querying this with VW, as to what VW are doing to make sure future car builds accord with the spec advertised in their brochure, or whether software is the problem and anyone has managed to get this issue fixed. I am expecting a camera based system to be part of the spec on the GT vehicle ordered, as per the brochure.....

algarve
13-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Are you referring to 1.3.2013 brochure?
The page 32 entry I'm reading says displays on navigation system as part of Lane Assist.
So unless you ordered that you won't get it.
But I see what you mean about the dodgy description.
Good Luck !

cdgthreesalmons
13-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Very interesting!

I have just compared an older pricelist(19.10.2012) with the latest pricelist (01.04.2013). Under the "Additional items of standard equipment: GT (Over SE)"
section the words for the Discover navigation System are identical: "Traffic Sign display with speed limits and no overtaking zones".

I do not however that in the latest brochure (01 March 2013) it does indeed state:

"TRAFFIC SIGN DISPLAY
Traffic Sign display uses a camera to detect speed restrictions and warning signs on the road ahead, which are then displayed to the driver. Standard on GT and optional on SE models. Traffic Sign display is included in navigation systems and part of the Lane Assist option."

Well there is certainly some confusion -

I am picking up my 2.0TDI GT with Discover Nav Pro and NO Lane assist on Monday - so I was expecting to not have the camera - but now who knows...>!!

I will let you know on Monday

j12000
13-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Page 32 of the latest brochure does not say "displays on navigation system as part of Lane Assist" ..... It says "Traffic Sign display is included in navigation systems and part of the Lane Assist option. - ie GT spec gets it as a navigation system is part of the included spec. SE versions get it if they have specified as an option a navigation system or lane assist. Traffic Sign display means a system that uses a camera to detect speed restrictions - what it says in the brochure is actually very clear, there is no room for misinterpretation. What is just disturbing is the apparent experiences that the delivered vehicles do not have what the brochure says they should have.

algarve
13-04-2013, 05:43 PM
To me whoever drafted that marketing material is confusing the issue between Traffic Sign Display and Traffic Sign Recognition.
Only Traffic Sign Recognition needs a camera to input / display road signs and speed limits it picks up at the roadside.

j12000
13-04-2013, 06:10 PM
The term "Traffic Sign Recognition" is not one I have seen mentioned by VW in regard to the new Golf anywhere. They describe this feature as "Traffic Sign Display" (including when they refer to it as part of Lane Assist) and describe "Traffic Sign Display" as using a camera. On the website, under technology, neither of these names is used, there it calls the system "Sign Assist".... if there were different versions of the system using different technologies with different names it would be very reasonable to expect them all to be listed here so that comparisons could be made, and confusions avoided. However, the website just refers to "Sign Assist".... and says it uses a camera in the mirror base to record important traffic signs. It then says that the traffic signs are displayed both on the multifunction display and the navigation system. Again, there is no room for misinterpretation of what is said either in brochure or website, the issue is that some vehicles seem to have been built to the wrong spec.

Evil Dan
13-04-2013, 06:15 PM
The term "Traffic Sign Recognition" is not one I have seen mentioned by VW in regard to the new Golf anywhere. They describe this feature as "Traffic Sign Display" (including when they refer to it as part of Lane Assist) and describe "Traffic Sign Display" as using a camera. On the website, under technology, neither of these names is used, there it calls the system "Sign Assist".... if there were different versions of the system using different technologies with different names it would be very reasonable to expect them all to be listed here so that comparisons could be made, and confusions avoided. However, the website just refers to "Sign Assist".... and says it uses a camera in the mirror base to record important traffic signs. It then says that the traffic signs are displayed both on the multifunction display and the navigation system. Again, there is no room for misinterpretation of what is said either in brochure or website, the issue is that some vehicles seem to have been built to the wrong spec.

It was on this basis that I got a full refund of the lane assist (£520) when it did not come with the traffic sign recognition. I am 99% certain that you will get traffic sign display as part of the navigation system (displaying the speeds built into the navigation database - why it would be standard on the GT), but they describe traffic sign recognition which Lozzer has and mine should have come with. The camera has so far not been fitted as standard and this description was an error in previous brochures and I suspect has carried over again.

You really need to check with your dealer now to confirm one way or another, but the lane assist is a £520 option on the GT - I don't see how they are planning to charge £520 if the camera is a standard component and you are just paying for the software.

mactrack
13-04-2013, 06:43 PM
It was on this basis that I got a full refund of the lane assist (£520).
Was this refund from Volkswagen UK or your Dealer? I only ask as I think I'm in the same position as you, i.e. no Traffic Sign Display in the MFD, and would like to take it further. Thanks.

Evil Dan
13-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Was this refund from Volkswagen UK or your Dealer? I only ask as I think I'm in the same position as you, i.e. no Traffic Sign Display in the MFD, and would like to take it further. Thanks.

My understanding was that the refund came from VW but was paid to me via the dealer.

j12000
13-04-2013, 06:51 PM
The previous brochure does not actually say that Traffic Sign Display uses a camera, this wording seems to have been introduced with the March 2013 brochure (so is not a "carried forward" problem, reference to the camera has been deliberately introduced); however the earlier brochure calls the system "Traffic Sign Display" and exactly the same title is given when describing the Discover Navigation (not necessarily the Pro version) as coming with "Traffic Sign Display".... clearly, VW are aware of this issue, and it is to be expected that they have addressed it by ensuring vehicles are now built to the described spec as per their brochure, I am trying to establish for sure that has happened, and will be very interested to learn from 'cdgthreesalmons' as posted above on taking delivery Monday.

The vehicle I have on order has been specified with High Beam Assist which I think uses the same camera (as again according to the latest brochure Lane Assist includes High Beam Assist) so the whole issue might be down to the correct software at the end of the day...

Evil Dan
13-04-2013, 06:56 PM
The previous brochure does not actually say that Traffic Sign Display uses a camera, this wording seems to have been introduced with the March 2013 brochure (so is not a "carried forward" problem, reference to the camera has been deliberately introduced); however the earlier brochure calls the system "Traffic Sign Display" and exactly the same title is given when describing the Discover Navigation (not necessarily the Pro version) as coming with "Traffic Sign Display".... clearly, VW are aware of this issue, and it is to be expected that they have addressed it by ensuring vehicles are now built to the described spec as per their brochure, I am trying to establish for sure that has happened, and will be very interested to learn from 'cdgthreesalmons' as posted above on taking delivery Monday.

The vehicle I have on order has been specified with High Beam Assist which I think uses the same camera (as again according to the latest brochure Lane Assist includes High Beam Assist) so the whole issue might be down to the correct software at the end of the day...

High Beam Assist doesn't necessarily have to use a camera - it could simply be a light meter. The wording used in the original brochure clearly describes the system detecting roadsigns, it's semantics about the addition of the word "camera".

algarve
13-04-2013, 07:18 PM
I agree the dealer is the information point to check with as they receive regular spec / technology updates specific to model builds from VW UK.
'Traffic Sign Recognition ' is a name also used by VW on their website by the way j12000 watch the video 'Sign Assist'...
As a generic website used by VW UK for VW technology they often use descriptions that are not the full picture for the UK ie we have to pay extra to get what is described as standard for example Discovery Navigation £180 extra to get the voice control which it describes as coming with Discovery Navigation.
The dealer is key...unfortunately you cannot rely on the marketing brochures at the moment until they get their act together

lozzer
13-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Evildan is correct when he says that the speed limit can be displayed one of two ways.

1) Standard on the GT is the speed limits being displayed on the sat nav and is reliant on the data stored in the sat nav.

2) The lane assist option allows the speed limit to be displayed on the MFD and also to recognise temporary limits via the camera in the rear view mirror. There is no reliance on the data stored on the navigation system.

The brochures lack any sort of clarity.

The problem is that some vehicles that have lane assist do not have the facility outlined in '2' above. Others do.

This issue may be the same as the 'folding mirrors'

j12000
14-04-2013, 12:07 AM
OK. Just a few thoughts re the points made above.

The brochure does not lack any sort of clarity. It is very clear indeed: Traffic Sign display uses a camera ... Standard on GT models. The brochure is published by Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited. So must be describing UK specification.

Whatever name may be given to it, there is only one description of it in the VW publicity - (including the car manual - which details only a system using data from both a camera and the navigation maps - and says the display is on both MFD and infotanment system display). That is what I am expecting to get.

If, in fact, what is standard on the GT is speed limits displayed on the sat nav and reliant only on the data stored in the sat nav, then that is not what the latest brochure says, and that is not what I am expecting to get.

VW have had plenty of time to get their act together as far as the (newly published) brochure is concerned. The likely explanation for all this confusion is that there was a problem initially, VW have quite properly addressed it and the new brochure is now correctly worded to accurately describe the traffic sign system that is installed. After all, we are not talking about some back street car dealer here but one of the world's largest and most respected car manufacturers, the brochure isn't going to have been sent to the printers by some marketing erk but will have been signed off by countless senior VW executives... surely??

Evil Dan
14-04-2013, 08:38 AM
OK. Just a few thoughts re the points made above.

The brochure does not lack any sort of clarity. It is very clear indeed: Traffic Sign display uses a camera ... Standard on GT models. The brochure is published by Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited. So must be describing UK specification.

Whatever name may be given to it, there is only one description of it in the VW publicity - (including the car manual - which details only a system using data from both a camera and the navigation maps - and says the display is on both MFD and infotanment system display). That is what I am expecting to get.

If, in fact, what is standard on the GT is speed limits displayed on the sat nav and reliant only on the data stored in the sat nav, then that is not what the latest brochure says, and that is not what I am expecting to get.

VW have had plenty of time to get their act together as far as the (newly published) brochure is concerned. The likely explanation for all this confusion is that there was a problem initially, VW have quite properly addressed it and the new brochure is now correctly worded to accurately describe the traffic sign system that is installed. After all, we are not talking about some back street car dealer here but one of the world's largest and most respected car manufacturers, the brochure isn't going to have been sent to the printers by some marketing erk but will have been signed off by countless senior VW executives... surely??

Many of us here believed the brochures and pricelists yet these were incorrect and we did not get what we expected. You can bury your head in the sand and expect to get these things, but I would be amazed if that is the case. You need to speak to your dealer asap and get this looked into.

When I raised this with VW they clearly thought they were describing traffic sign display rather than traffic sign recognition as they said the sign recognition was not available in the UK at all - it was only when Lozzer's car came with it that this was realised not to be the case.

If you look at page 9 of the pricelist it clearly lists "Traffic Sign display with speed limits and no overtaking zones" but this is under the communications and navigation section. This is not traffic sign recognition.

Just look through multiple threads in this forum if you want an answer to your final question.

Evil Dan
14-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Here's the relevant section of the Discover Navigation Pro manual which references the two very different systems. Why would they fit the most expensive camera to the car with no other purpose?

In the latest brochure it actually calls the system "Traffic Sign Display".

You need to accept that we all agree with you that they are describing the traffic sign recognition. What we are saying is that it is almost certain your car will not come with traffic sign recognition.

Norbreck21a
14-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Dan, slightly off topic (sorry), but that scan you posted up of the Discover Nav Pro manual, was this just a single page that you scanned, or do you have a full electronic copy I could blag a copy off from you :D

Been trying to get hold of a manual as I like to read up in advance about tech on a new car.

Evil Dan
14-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Dan, slightly off topic (sorry), but that scan you posted up of the Discover Nav Pro manual, was this just a single page that you scanned, or do you have a full electronic copy I could blag a copy off from you :D

Been trying to get hold of a manual as I like to read up in advance about tech on a new car.

Sorry I don't have an electric copy of the manual. They are quite strict on here about copyright, etc. But I thought a scan of a partial page would fall under fair use for copyright purposes.

Norbreck21a
14-04-2013, 12:28 PM

ok fair play. Thanks anyway.

cdgthreesalmons
16-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I have the answer!!!!

Yesterday I collected my 2.0tdi GT - with Discover Pro Nav and colour MFD.

I showed the salesman the new brochure with the relevant section on Traffic Sign Display.

I CAN CONFIRM THAT THE GT DOES NOT COME WITH A CAMERA TO PROVIDE TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION. YOU MUST SPEC LANE ASSIST.

This was confirmed after the salesman had a lengthy phone discussion with VW Technical and VW Sales at Milton Keynes. The brochure is INCORRECT and will have to amended.

The GT does indeed have Traffic Sign Display in the Media/Navigation window.

I must point out that the salesman was equally bemused by the new brochure!! and was glad to get a definitive answer.

He also drew my attention to the fine print at the back of the brochure where is states that the brochure only gives and indication of spec - the pricelist/model specification and the dealer have the correct spec.

Hope that finally clears up that point, hope to post some pics of the new car tomorrow.

lozzer
16-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I have the answer!!!!
I CAN CONFIRM THAT THE GT DOES NOT COME WITH A CAMERA TO PROVIDE TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION. YOU MUST SPEC LANE ASSIST.

To be honest, that was my understanding from the start when I ordered in December. (based on current brochure)

What it does not clear up is the issue that started this thread: why some cars that have lane assist do not have traffic sign recognition in the MFD and some do.

Good luck with the new car, nice spec :)

Redjim64
16-04-2013, 09:20 PM
So has anybody with Lane Assist and standard Discover nav got the 'full' recognition (camera, MFD), and has anybody with Lane Assist and Discover Pro not got it ? That is, it's not just a question of which version of nav people have got ?

mactrack
16-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I've got Lane-Assist package (camera) and standard nav but no recognition in the MFD. According to the manual you have to switch this feature on in the driver assistance menu within CAR/SETUP however this option is not even there on mine. Incoming call to VW UK imminent!

yesnaby
17-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Discover Pro and Lane Assist here (GT model), but no traffic recognition in the MFD or option to turn it on in the main display.

Norbreck21a
20-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Don't know if this is related or not, but I've just been back to my dealer to add the lane assist package to my newly ordered Golf GTD, and when he went to amend the order and select it from the VW order screen on the computer, there were 2 options - Lane Assist PKG and Lane Assist PKG for Nav Pro.

He said to me "must make sure I select the right one" as it allowed him to configure either. I was wondering if the latter is also with traffic sign recognition, and the former without, and perhaps some dealers are selecting the wrong one ?

yesnaby
27-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Hello,

Has anyone made progress on this issue? I have just been told by VW Newport that my GT (with lane assist) 'does not have this feature'.
This does not explain why at least one other person (lozzer) has it working.
Are VW investigating the problem at all? It is now six months since I reported it.

Michael

BigCat007
03-09-2013, 11:20 PM
I just collected my wife's new Golf GT TSI today, we ordered it in May and the car was built at the end of June so it was a model year 2014 car. We ordered Navigation Pro but not Lane Assist, the brochure description (dated 1st March) and Price List description (dated 1st April) are misleading as the price list states "Traffic Sign display with speed limits and no overtaking zones" as one of the additional items of standard equipment GT (over SE) however the brochure states "Traffic Sign display uses a camera to detect speed restrictions and warning signs on the road ahead which are then displayed to the driver. Standard on GT and optional on SE, Traffic Sign display is included in navigation systems and part of the Lane Assist Option". The latest brochure dated 1st July says the following "Lane Assist is a camera controlled warning system that warns the driver via an audible alarm and steering wheel vibration if the vehicle is about to leave its chosen lane unintentionally This also includes High beam assist and Traffic Sign Display. Optional on SE and GT models. *Lane Assist includes Traffic Sign Display when ordered in conjunction with Discover Navigation Pro touch-screen navigation/DVD radio system". I'm going to take this up with the dealer as we believed we were getting the traffic sign display with camera based on the price list description and given we spent £27K on this car I hope VW will retrofit the interior mirror with camera and turn on the option in the MFD.

Mr.Boggle
04-09-2013, 12:45 AM
I'd say you have zero chance of them retro-fitting the Lane Assist option (I'm not sure I'd trust a dealer to do that anyway). You might get some compensation if you push hard enough, I got £250 refund on my Discover Nav Standard & Lane Assist combination (which, as we all now know, doesn't include Traffic Sign Assist) due to the misleading wording that you quoted. To be honest, Traffic Sign Assist is a bit of a gimmick anyway, following initial disappointment at not getting the feature, I found the signs displayed from the Sat Nav database as standard are accurate on the vast majority of roads anyway.

yesnaby
04-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Hello,

I have applied for a refund of the option price for Lane Assist as Traffic Sign Recognition does not work on my car, despite it being mentioned in the brochure and the owner's manual.

Michael

RikkiG
11-09-2013, 01:04 AM
I have the Pro sat nav, lane assist etc and get speed limits displayed on both the sat-nav screen & colour MFD, but so far no other signs. Which road signs should the system recognise & display ? I've only had the car 2 days so not driven it much, mostly in the dark, but would like to know what to expect ?

lozzer
11-09-2013, 11:52 AM
It will recognise temporary speed limits, no overtaking etc as well as fixed speed limits. As far as I have seen it will not show traffic hazards (falling rocks, deer, slippery road etc).

In France it will show limits that are applicable with rain as well as normal speeds.