PDA

View Full Version : Interim service - consists of?

fat controller
28-02-2013, 05:42 PM
The dashboard 'nag' started on my car yesterday, to inform me that my oil change service is due in 30 days or 1200 miles (so, that will be 30 days then), and I was wondering what the interim service consists of?

I'd be happy to give the car to my local Audi dealer, but my wallet wouldn't be too chuffed with me at the moment, so I was considering using my usual mechanic - he is really good with me (known him for years), and basically I get whatever oils and parts I want to use, give him the car, and he returns it to me work all done and book stamped. This would let me take the hit for the bits this month, and the hit for the labour next month, which really appeals to me right now.

So, before I go bothering him, what does the interim service consist of - is it purely oil and oil filter, or is there anything else?

Guest 2
28-02-2013, 08:00 PM
interim service is oil and oil filter

you should be under the fixed price servicing - http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-with-audi/affordable-servicing.html

fat controller
28-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks Chris - its not badly priced, but I can get oil & filter for £30 at the moment from Euro, or £50-ish from Opie (preferred), and I doubt that my man will take much more than £30 off me for doing the job.

s7gpt
28-02-2013, 09:27 PM
do it yourslef mate or even cheeper take it to kwik fit for a simple oil change, its cheaoer than buying the parts and they will stamp your book :)

Guest 2
28-02-2013, 09:29 PM
There have been bad reports of kwik fit doing oil changes .. I would never take my car there for an oil change!

s7gpt
28-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Chris, ive had them do about 6 changes in the last 5 years on our cars - you get to select the oil you want ( pay a little more for some oils ) and watch them do it. there is not much that can go wrong with an oil change alone, would never let them do a full service though :)

oh yeah free top us too ;)

Brycie
28-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm of the same thinking as Chris. It's not kwikfit, but a similar organisation, National Tyre & Exhaust, flooded my Dad's car with oil resulting in it being written off. Fair play, they gave compensation (£1500) after they chased it a few times & got a mechanic to give an independent evaluation of the cause, but I still wouldn't give my car to a place like that. They must have forgotten to empty the old oil out before putting the new stuff in we reckon.

s7gpt
28-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm of the same thinking as Chris. It's not kwikfit, but a similar organisation, National Tyre & Exhaust, flooded my Dad's car with oil resulting in it being written off. Fair play, they gave compensation (£1500) after they chased it a few times & got a mechanic to give an independent evaluation of the cause, but I still wouldn't give my car to a place like that. They must have forgotten to empty the old oil out before putting the new stuff in we reckon.
ouch :(
as i said, watch em and should be ok !

Guest 2
28-02-2013, 10:04 PM
You wouldn't get the same comeback as you would with Audi hence why all my work is done there plus there's always £30-40 knocked off each time too for being a good customer :)

fat controller
28-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm not overly keen on the Kwik-Fit idea - bought a tyre from them recently, and they weren't exactly honest about the pricing, nor were they very efficient at getting the required tyre in.

I have used my 'usual' fella for years now, and he has never let me down - normally, he has the car away, done and back whilst I am at work and he is reasonable price wise. He is an MOT tester too, including commercial vehicles, so he knows his onions.

I have seen the day I would do it myself (I've got the axle stands and jack in the shed), but my days of grubbing around under cars is long gone, and I want to keep the book stamped up on this car.

c.grex
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Just out of interest, why is the fixed price servicing only on cars over 36months old? why would it cost anymore to have a oil change done on a newer car?

fat controller
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I think its purely to tempt people into continuing to use the main dealers, as many people won't bother just as much when the car is out of warranty. Admittedly, I am probably one of those people that they are trying to capture - although all of my cars have been serviced religiously, I did it all myself until maybe five or six years ago when my health really started to get the better of me, and even then I was happy to use a one-man independent mainly because he is considerably cheaper, but also because he gets to know the customer and their car and is honest about whatever work needs doing (not that main dealers are dishonest of course).