PDA

View Full Version : Discover pro hotspot

lozzer
27-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Anyone explain this to me? I assume I can link iPad etc to wifi wherever the car is. Where does it (Pro) get its signal from?

I thought wifi came from phone networks.

Thanks

steve scott
27-02-2013, 09:04 PM
As far as I am aware, this feature does not exist, or if it does, it isn't accessible on UK spec cars

lozzer
28-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I am expecting it on mine.

Advertised extensively and can be seen here:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-vii/explore/interior/front/premium-phone-preparation/

Unless it is another 'xenon led del issue'

steve scott
28-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Thats not advertising the discover pro, its advertising the premium phone prep.... which isn't an option on UK cars when I ordered mine. As far as I can establish, we can't get the phone box option over here that boosts signal strength by driving the phone signal through the main ariel.

lozzer
28-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately I think you are right.

A simple search...

Google (http://goo.gl/4nWkG)

...suggests that other folk thought as I did

Evil Dan
28-02-2013, 10:01 AM
It definitely isn't mentioned at all in the manual (I get my car on Monday so will know for definite then). This is due later in the year. Plus you'd have to buy a sim card specially for the car and get 3G or 4G for it to really work. It is probably better to have a smartphone and a phone plan that allows tethering and set that up as a wifi hotspot anyway.

lozzer
28-02-2013, 11:35 AM
It definitely isn't mentioned at all in the manual (I get my car on Monday so will know for definite then). This is due later in the year. Plus you'd have to buy a sim card specially for the car and get 3G or 4G for it to really work. It is probably better to have a smartphone and a phone plan that allows tethering and set that up as a wifi hotspot anyway.

Thanks, that explains the mechanics of it and I agree now that it will not feature.

Slightly frustrating as two dealerships said that it was part of discover pro but could not explain it. :)

Tethering is the option but I need an upgrade...

steve scott
28-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Tethering to a mobile phone also allows you to bring your hot spot with you rather than leave it in the car. Don't get me wrong, its a cool feature to have on a car if it was there and if it worked, but I wouldn't be paying extra to fit it to a car and I wish that I'd have saved the £1100 that I forked out on the Discover Pro system.... Its a lot of money for a slightly larger screen and this is the only real benefit that I can see in it?!

Evil Dan
28-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Tethering to a mobile phone also allows you to bring your hot spot with you rather than leave it in the car. Don't get me wrong, its a cool feature to have on a car if it was there and if it worked, but I wouldn't be paying extra to fit it to a car and I wish that I'd have saved the £1100 that I forked out on the Discover Pro system.... Its a lot of money for a slightly larger screen and this is the only real benefit that I can see in it?!

You get voice control, better sat nav, bigger screen, SD card connection, jukebox and video/DVD playback.

steve scott
28-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I've got the discover pro unit and I think the voice control is lame, especially for the sat nav... drives me nuts! (but it can be added to the standard unit anyway), the 'better' sat nav still falls way short of a £100 tom tom, the SD card connection is (I think) at the expense of USB connection (whats the difference?), the jukebox capacity is relatively small (why not just put music on an external drive)..... and you can't watch DVDs when driving... its just adding useless functionality for the sake of it?!

It is a bigger screen which I guess is useful for the sat nav but otherwise its just a lot of empty space on the other functions.....

Don't get me wrong, its ok, but I'd expect a £1100 option to be awesome and be easy to use without fault... and actually its riddled with niggles and its a pain in the **** to use.

h5djr
28-02-2013, 09:12 PM
and you can't watch DVDs when driving... its just adding useless functionality for the sake of it?!

I hope nobody tries to watch a DVD whilst they are driving.... Using a phone is bad enough, but watching a DVD!!!!

mcmaddy
27-09-2013, 07:03 PM
sorry to resurrect a very old thread but has anyone successfully set up a WiFi hotspot using a mobile? I can't see the the option on the nav pro.

ept55
27-09-2013, 10:43 PM
You can't do it unless you have the phone prep option to turn your car into a wifi hotspot.

mcmaddy
29-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I thought that but the instruction book doesn't say that. it says either phone prep ora mobile connection using rsap with data allowance.

thorne
06-10-2014, 09:27 PM
You could get a mifi through 3. 3 also allow tethering on some of their plans - only up to 2gb per month though.