PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf wiring issue

brnys85
22-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi All

Mine is a Mk3 Golf Driver an issue has just occurred with the stereo, I dont know if anyone else has expericenced it,

'Normally' you turn the key in the ignition and the stereo turns on
in my car it used to and now it will only turn on for a split second as you turn the key all the way round to start the car,
it will stay on as long as the key is kept in the start position.i have replaced the switch, made no difference, the thing is the car never had this issue before, it just developed in one day, it isnt the stereo either as i have tried three and also a brand new replacement one 'note the stereo that worked quite happily wasnt a genuine part.

Any ideas are welcome!

cheers

Sam

pritesh
23-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Hi Sam,

I have been told that its a common problem with MK3's. I have a MK3 and mine dont work at all. The cheapest thing to do it wire the power and the ignition wire on your stereo together and the stereo will work regardless of the keybeing turned on. I think its the Red wire which is the power wire and the yellow which is the ignition wire, but please double check this.

What I have done on my car is installed a cut off switch which turns off my stereo and my amps. I only did this cos i found that my amps were draining my battery when the car was switched off.

Hope this helps,I guess this is the cheapest solution.

bobmac892
23-08-2007, 06:56 PM
By changed the switch do you mean the ignition swich at the back of the ignition barrel.

I had an issue with a my radio just cutting out as a drove along. As the problem worsened I found that by pushing the key into the ignition, while driving, re-instated the power supply. A mornings work dimantling the steering column to replace the ignition switch, Which the VW Garage said was a regular failure, solved the issue.

Hope this helps I'm out of idea's otherwise.

brnys85
23-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for replying guys i havent had chance to have a fiddle yet i have been riding my kawasaki to work with an ipod in :(

I had tried the switch but i got to the point of getting the steering wheel and stalks etc and was totally stumped when i got to getting to the actual ingition switch in the back of the steering collumn,

I think i'm gonna have to bridge the wires, i'll try and and get a wiring diagram for it thanks for the help!! :beerchug:

richardj1984
12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Guys i'm having a problem with my wiring, for some reason the radio goes on to a protection mode at random. I got a feeling that there is a short in the speaker wires. I dont really know where to start. if i hit the top of the dash and reset the head unit it will work for all of 30seconds then goes back on to prtection. THis is the second head unit to do so, so it has to be a problem with the car. Can anyone help?

Perkele
14-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Similar problem with mine I think at least.
There doesn't seem to be any power (trickle) going to the stereo once the key is removed.
Hence the radio "memory" is rendered useless. I've heard there's a quick wiring trick going straight from the battery to the radio.
Is this true or urban myth?

DropKickMurphy
14-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Perkele,

I had this problem, you need to switch the 12v permanent and the ignition swich wires over. on my CD player (sony) they were red and yellow wires with bullet connectors on the end, whip them out and swap them over and hey presto.

hope this helps

DKM

aaronmahler301
15-07-2009, 05:43 PM
all u have to do to save any aggro in future is just get a bit of wire and connect yellow and red together then jus switch the head unit on and off manually easy as pie!

im bit confused bout the switch in the amp!?? surely the amp shuld turn on when u turn the head unit on if wired to the correct wire??? (usually blue and white and called remote!)