PDA

View Full Version : Importing photos for mobile phone contacts?

Pommyboi
21-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I've paired my Samsung Galaxy SII with the Golf and the contacts have imported with no problem but none of the photos against the contacts are showing.

I've checked the user guide for the car and it doesn't define what mobiles or operating systems are acceptable or if there are any particular formats the photos should be in. For this simple function not to work on Android is really odd but then album artwork doesn't show for my iPod so why am I surprised.

I'll put another call into the dealer tomorrow but I thought I might have more luck finding an answer on here.

Thx in advance.

steve scott
26-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Good luck... I can't get this to work either and it annoys me that the album art seems to have a mind of its own... it sometimes displays the art on my iphone, sometimes a random cartoon type generic "rock/pop" picture and sometimes alternative album art?!? Also... why does coverflow only work for the jukebox and not iPod connections?!?!

I'm also surprised that VW can't integrate a feature that automatically changes the satnav display to night time mode at either a given time or with the light sensor... this is not rocket science! I actually wonder how VW managed to make such a hash of something that should be so simple and intuitive to use?!

DaveB666
27-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Apparently the issue with album artwork is actually down to an incorrect cable being supplied with the car -
MK7 Golf MDI Ipod Cable Lead Red Collar ID3 Tags Video Discover Media & Pro GT | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK7-Golf-MDI-Ipod-Cable-Lead-Red-Collar-ID3-Tags-Video-Discover-Media-Pro-GT-/170978860808)

note the red collar on the cable

steve scott
27-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Dropped into VW St Ives (cambs) today and they can't get the images to work with my iphone 3GS. He suggested trying a newer iphone to see if its a phone hardware issue.... So it doesn't work with Android, or IOS..... what phones does it work with?

I'm not sure about the red cable issue as my cable has a blue collar and it works with most album artwork other than the niggle I mentioned above.

Pommyboi
28-02-2013, 06:33 PM
@DaveB

I wondered if it was something to do with the cable, similar issues exist with Audis having the correct cable to display artwork and usually the dealer seems to supply it. I will go back to them and ask, £36 seems steep for something like that. No wonder the P&P is free!

Also I only have a iPod classic (latest generation) as I have a lot of music - so maybe that is an issue.

It would be nice to find a list of 'approved' phones to use with the car.

steve scott
28-02-2013, 07:01 PM
The cable shouldn't make a difference as the phone pairs and the contacts sync via bluetooth, not the MMI

Huftons
17-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Anybody managed to get phone contact pictures to appear on the Discover Media system? It doesn't seem to work with my iPhone 5 (although all other functions work fine when connected via bluetooth). Was looking for a Phone compatibility list for VW (to see which features work on which phones) but can't find one.

steve scott
18-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I've still had no joy with an iphone 3gs and my local VW dealer told me to try with an iphone 5.... To be honest, I'm disappointed with VAG; it seems that it could be great but it just seems to fall short on so many levels. Why the hell can't it change the time for BST? Why does the sat nav not auto dim/go to night mode when the car has an ambient light sensor? Why do the windows/sun roof not close when it starts to rain (it says it can do this in the manual but no option in the system)... and what the hell is convenience conversions and why doesn't it do anything?! Also... my drivers side wiper doesn't wipe away the water on the reverse stroke, leaving a trail of small droplets right in my line of sight...... £28k car?!?! It could be fantastic.... but its actually a bit amateur

Norbreck21a
18-04-2013, 01:06 PM
With regards to the Night / Day mode of the Sat Nav, whilst I don;'t have my car yet, I'm looking at a copy of the Skoda Columbus user manual I downloaded form the web (which is a re badged version of the VW Discover Nav Pro), for the brand new Octavia and on page 44 of that manual (under Navigation Settings) - it says:

In the main menu of Navigation mode, press the small settings button in the lower right hand corner - then Map
there is an entry called "Day/Night" which according to the manual has 3 settings -

Day - Sets a light coloured background

Night - sets a dark coloured background

Automatic - automatic switching between day and night mode depending on the position of the light switch or the ambient light sensor.

I presume it's the same on the Golf ?

lozzer
18-04-2013, 01:46 PM
With regards to the Night / Day mode of the Sat Nav, whilst I don;'t have my car yet, I'm looking at a copy of the Skoda Columbus user manual I downloaded form the web (which is a re badged version of the VW Discover Nav Pro), for the brand new Octavia and on page 44 of that manual (under Navigation Settings) - it says:

In the main menu of Navigation mode, press the small settings button in the lower right hand corner - then Map
there is an entry called "Day/Night" which according to the manual has 3 settings -

Day - Sets a light coloured background

Night - sets a dark coloured background

Automatic - automatic switching between day and night mode depending on the position of the light switch or the ambient light sensor.

I presume it's the same on the Golf ?

it is.

Pommyboi
18-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes someone has imported photos against contacts from a Galaxy S3 (I'm trying to find the thread it was on).

My contacts are generally held against Gmail and I see them on the phone, whilst the car imports the contacts with no problems the associated photos don't transfer neither those pics I attach myself or those from Facebook. I moved the contacts to the SIM and re-imported them, again no photos appeared on the screen so gave up.

steve scott
18-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I've got the discover pro system and I have no option for automatic switching?! I have to manually change between day and night mode

Evil Dan
19-04-2013, 03:35 AM
I've got the discover pro system and I have no option for automatic switching?! I have to manually change between day and night mode

Are you talking about the navigation?

If you go into the settings menu of the navigation (not the view option that appears on the bottom of the screen) then you can set day/night to auto which basically means when you turn headlights on and off.

Norbreck21a
20-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Just been playing round with the dealers car and took a quick snap of this

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8664457065_5f71026872_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/8664457065/)
Last Import-4 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/8664457065/) by Sootchucker (http://www.flickr.com/people/58190042@N03/), on Flickr

HHGTTG
20-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Just been playing round with the dealers car and took a quick snap of this

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8664457065_5f71026872_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/8664457065/)
Last Import-4 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/8664457065/) by Sootchucker (http://www.flickr.com/people/58190042@N03/), on Flickr

Oh dear. Could you live with that brushed satin fascia? Is it really yellow-ish or just an aberration due to lighting when photographing the unit? Did you like it?

Norbreck21a
20-04-2013, 05:37 PM
To be fair, think its just probably poor white balance with the iPhone, was much more silver in real life, but no, didn't really like it anyway.

HHGTTG
20-04-2013, 06:53 PM
To be fair, think its just probably poor white balance with the iPhone, was much more silver in real life, but no, didn't really like it anyway.

Yes, I agree but the SE is really the only Golf MK7 I would go for on the grounds of cost but goodness know why it couldn't have had a more subdued finish, more in line with my current car. I like the interior of the GT however although all those black and shiny surfaces would show a lot of dust.

Hughmungus
20-04-2013, 10:56 PM
I've still had no joy with an iphone 3gs and my local VW dealer told me to try with an iphone 5.... To be honest, I'm disappointed with VAG; it seems that it could be great but it just seems to fall short on so many levels. Why the hell can't it change the time for BST? Why does the sat nav not auto dim/go to night mode when the car has an ambient light sensor? Why do the windows/sun roof not close when it starts to rain (it says it can do this in the manual but no option in the system)... and what the hell is convenience conversions and why doesn't it do anything?! Also... my drivers side wiper doesn't wipe away the water on the reverse stroke, leaving a trail of small droplets right in my line of sight...... £28k car?!?! It could be fantastic.... but its actually a bit amateur

I have the iPhone 5 and I see no contact picture either although I'm not too bothered as I have the phone mounted at vent height so I can see it for the sat nav. I have the same issue with the wipers, it leaves a trail of water across the screen, as you say right in your eyesight, most annoying on a 100 mile trip when it didn't stop raining. I will try twisting the arm tomorrow, an old solution that I have used before in my 38 years in the motor trade as it squares the blade to the screen but use pliers wrapped in a rag to stop any chips on the arm.

Chaucer2468
23-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Hi Pommyboi

Did you manage to upload your contact pictures. Having exactly the same issue.

steve scott
25-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Contact photos/addresses etc does not work with iphone. a full compatability list is on the german vw website but as always, VW UK sales dont know what they're selling...

DW58
25-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Can you post the link to the above please.

So typical of Volkswagen that one of the World's most popular phone isn't compatible. The provide an iPhone lead as standard yet don't incorporate the features of the phone - unbelievable incompetence :zx11:

Mr.Boggle
26-10-2013, 10:08 AM
You can find the compatibility list on the VW web-site at Composition Media / Discover Media / Discover Pro < Mobiltelefonvorbereitung ab Modelljahr 2011 (http://www.volkswagen.de/de/servicezubehoer/CarInfotainment/Mobiltelefonvorbereitung_ab_Modelljahr_2011/mib.html)

It's the iPhone, not the VW, that's at fault as Apple have never enabled contacts picture transfer within their implementation of the Bluetooth PBAP.

Teflon
26-10-2013, 10:59 AM
You're massively lucky that the iPhone even works with the car - it's a giant step forward on VW's recent performance. The £575 Premium Bluetooth Kit they fitted to my Passat (that I didn't want but they expected me to pay for) would only work with a Nokia and even then, it was frustrating and flakey. The first thing I did when I traded the car was go out and buy a decent smart phone.