PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Jetta - Aerial connection for aftermarket radio

TDiBoraSam
21-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help...

I recently fitted a new double DIN radio into my Jetta. I bought all the necessary wiring adaptors including the one for the aerial.

The new radio works, however FM is now suffering from poor reception on certain stations, and is picking up slight interference from the windscreen washer. Earth connection seems to be OK though.

The aftermarket aerial adaptor has a blue wire, which I presume can be connected to the 'powered antenna' wire on the back of the radio? Does the Jetta have a powered antenna, and thus needs the blue wires connecting?

When I removed the original radio, there was no obvious power connection to the antenna, just the standard VW connection, which may be powered?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Doctle Odd
21-02-2013, 10:02 PM
The aerial is powered by the factory radio you need to bring power to the blue wire for it to work properly

TDiBoraSam
25-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the reply.

So, in simple terms what I need to do is supply power to the blue wire that is on the aerial adaptor, rather than the blue wire coming out of the back of the radio?

Second question (and sorry for seeming rather dumb), where do I take a power supply from? All the wires in the car's loom appear to be connected to something in the ISO harness, the only two that don't seem to be doing anything are two very, very thin brown wires, and I have no idea what they are?!

Doctle Odd
25-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Don't supply power to the blue wire coming from the stereo it's for an electric aerial, I think. It should be live when the ignition is switched on. You can wire your aerial back to the fuse board so it comes on when the ignition comes on or you can splice it into the live wire coming to your stereo (not the memory wire) if you're feeling particularly lazy use a scotchlock or you can buy the loom adapter from a well known auction site

TDiBoraSam
25-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Thankyou once again! I think I'll splice it into the live wire coming into the radio. Hopefully that'll solve the problem! :)

TDiBoraSam
03-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Update....I joined the blue wire from the aerial adaptor to the ignition live, and it did amplify the signal, but reception is still poor when on the move.

The car has two aerial wires. Does it matter which one I connect to the aerial adaptor? Why does the car have two connections anyway? I have tried them both and can't pick up MW at all.

I think I'll try joining the blue wire out of the radio into the ignition live too. It seems to be the only thing left to try!

paulw123
26-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I think you might need something like this

Dual FAKRA to Male Aerial Adaptor for VW Golf MK5/Plus 04 to 07 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-FAKRA-to-Male-Aerial-Adaptor-for-VW-Golf-MK5-Plus-04-to-07-/360596703855?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item53f53d0a6f)

read about this on gtimk5 forum.

TDiBoraSam
03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Thankyou!

I have ordered a dual one with the built in amplifier.

Certainly answers the question about which of the two aerial leads I need to use!

TDiBoraSam
08-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Dual aerial adaptor fitted, and the problem still persists, although I can now receive MW.

Everything is fine until I turn the key a notch in the ignition, and when other electrical systems on the car become live, the signal on the radio weakens. If I then remove the key from the ignition, the radio signal remains weakened, until the car's electrics shut down (approx 15 secs) and the signal becomes fine again on the radio.

With the engine started, and the car in motion, on all but the strongest of stations, there is regular interference, such as when a wagon pulls up next to me, or when going down a hill etc etc. Also, there's a slight crackle when using the windscreen washer, which suggests an earth problem, but all the wiring appears to be fine.

Can anyone offer any further help before I end up having to pay someone a small fortune to fix this?!

Doctle Odd
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Only thing left is the aerial itself they get water into the electrics

TDiBoraSam
08-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I presume the aerial is part of the rear window? There's no 'normal' aerial on the roof.