PDA

View Full Version : UK Postcodes on Discover Nav

Huftons
20-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know whether the standard Discover Nav unit accepts UK postcodes.

Can't see any mention of it anywhere and it makes no mention of this in the user manual for the Skoda equivalent unit (link posted elsewhere on this forum).

Any Mk 7 GT owners out there that can confirm?

Evil Dan
20-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm not getting my car till 4th March, but the dealer has sent me the manuals. The manual states you can search by postcode.

EDIT: Sorry my manual is the the Discover Pro.

Huftons
20-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Hmm, hope this isn't unique to the Pro. Anyone got the standard Nav unit who can confirm?

steve scott
21-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Just pop into a VW dealer and look on any stock GT. On the Pro unit, you search by address and then there is a option to add the post code.... its a bit backwards compared to a trusty Tom Tom
Personally I wouldn't trust any VW UK literature... its hardly been accurate up to date.

lozzer
22-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Is that different from the rns 510?

There you went to input an address but instead of that, just put in a post code and the nav system recognised it for what it was.

G0rdon
22-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Postcode entry works fine on the standard nav unit.

Huftons
22-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that confirmation. Was just concerned that they had reserved this basic feature for the Pro unit.

DaveB666
20-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Postcode entry works fine on the standard nav unit.

Gordon, where?? I can't find it on minr. Town and street only..

algarve
20-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Gordon, where?? I can't find it on minr. Town and street only..

When Town function button shows you can enter the desired town or postcode..

andyCYM
20-03-2013, 11:12 PM
It's easy to miss, look in bottom left hand corner of the screen where you're asked to input 'town'. It's abbreviated as 'Pstcode' or some thing similar. BTW, has anyone worked out whether it's possible to set navigation voice to override the radio?

algarve
21-03-2013, 10:06 AM
It's easy to miss, look in bottom left hand corner of the screen where you're asked to input 'town'. It's abbreviated as 'Pstcode' or some thing similar. BTW, has anyone worked out whether it's possible to set navigation voice to override the radio?

Not yet !
Its a nuisance..

thegraham98
09-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Hey, I've got as far as the Ptcd. button but it only lets me enter the first part of the postcode before the keypad gets greyed out (e.g. if I type SE1 it won't let me type in the second part, the keypad just goes grey). Any ideas or am I just missing something completely? I've got the latest maps installed (2015/16) and it's in a 2015 Passat with standard Discover Nav.

thegraham98
09-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Hey, I've got as far as the Ptcd. button but it only lets me enter the first part of the postcode before the keypad gets greyed out (e.g. if I type SE1 it won't let me type in the second part, the keypad just goes grey). Any ideas or am I just missing something completely? I've got the latest maps installed (2015/16) and it's in a 2015 Passat with standard Discover Nav.

Ok, so I figured it out. It's *such* a badly designed user interface...

1. Click on New dest.
2. Click on City
3. Click on Ptcd. on the bottom left
4. Click on ABC in the bottom left corner ant type the first bit (e.g. "SE")
5. Click on the 123 in the bottom left hand corner and type the first number (e.g. "1")
6. Click on the §&# on the bottom right of the keypad and type a space followed by the next number (e.g " 3")
7. Click on the ABC in the bottom left hand corner and type the remainder of the postcode (e.g. "AB")
8. The screen will change to say "Select postcode SE1 3AB".
9. Click on the postcode.
10. The screen will pop up an alert saying "No street data available for this city.". Hit OK.
11. Hit Start
12. Start driving.

How many unnecessary steps - at least 3-8 could be replaced with a keyboard that just let you type anything!!! :zx11:

CJJE
09-11-2015, 11:00 PM
The only problem I've found is when it imports the locations of your contacts from your mobile phone. Then you can find that you are being routed to somewhere only vaguely near where you want to be! I'm not sure if it's navigating to the centre of the post code, or isn't getting the full address from the phone!