PDA

View Full Version : Question EGP Sensor (G450) - How easy to change?

celticbrue
15-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Hi guys - just a quick question before I part with my hard earned readies;

I have an Audi A4 Avant 2.0 Tdi - 2008 (B8). Engine management light is on as a solid light. A friend put it on diagnostics at his place of work on the QT and it comes up as Exhaust Gas Pressure Sesnor - implausible reading (or something similar). Unfortunately he didn't write down the code and it is not possible to re-visit this particular diagnostic check.

The car is driving absolutely fine and I have not experienced any loss of power or 'roughness' in performance through the whole rev range in all gears. My research on here suggests this is 'simply' a faulty sensor that is easily changed.

With that in mind, I am happy to undertake the work of actually swapping the sensor with a new replacement and the job looks pretty straighforward. My question is: -

Is it really this simple or am I missing something?

Is there anything else I need to do other than just swap the sensor over?

I can probably get the error code cancelled FOC but if I need a 'forced regen' then I'm likely stuffed as I don't have access to the right software/hardware.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian

gdallas
16-02-2013, 06:34 PM
mines done this this week too. ifound a post on another forum which suggested driving the car in 4th gear at just above 50mph, basically keeping the revs above 2k. anyway, keep it constant for about 10 mins. i hit the motorway. anyway, my light went out next time i started the car. might be worth trying that first to see if you can clear it out.

celticbrue
17-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Griogiar - I've tried that and it lasted a few days before the light came back on and now it won't go off.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it is just a faulty sensor. If this is the case and a simple change to a new sensor will sort it out, I can do it myself. If it is more involved, then I'll have to bite the bullet and get it done by Audi themselves.

Can anyone shed some light?

Cheers,

Ian

gregpot2000
19-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Hi there. I had this done at my independent last year. It's not just changing the sensor, it also needs to be adapted using vcds as well. This is basically telling the new sensor how full your dpf is so it knows where to start from. Occasionally forced re-gens are needed as well, as when the sensor isn't working, normal regenerations don't always work, so you need to bring it back to normal levels. The cost for me all in at my independent was 80quid. So don't think it's a huge job. But it does need to be done right.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

celticbrue
20-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks gregpot2000 - exactly the info I was after

I'll see if I can find some local independent before forking out main dealer prices!

Thanks again

Ian