PDA

View Full Version : A6 2.5 tdi Cambelt Changed and Serviced but now coolent levels are up and down???

boybonic
22-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi all

Recently purchased Audi A6 2.5 tdi quatro on W reg just completed cambelt change with all extra bits e.g fan belts and tensioners and water pump ....

My question is should the coolant temperature gauge and Engine temp gauge sit in the middle of the dials ??? because mine are up and down at times

thanks in advance!!!

A6_JAck
23-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I am not an Audi engineer, on my other car when that happens it mean or the sender/gauge are not working or there is some air in the system

Jack

chrisvrscrx
23-08-2007, 03:29 PM
More likely to be an air lock because they haven't bled the system properly.

Peter D
23-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Email me and I will send you the instructions. Very complex to get the air out which is what you are suffering from. I would not use it as it is as, you will have hot spots in the engine. Info@3DAssociates.co.uk Regards Peter

RodsA6
26-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Just by chance on my old A6 2.5tdi I spotted a bleed screw in one of the heater hoses under the plastic cover at the rear of the engine bay. This seems to be about the highest point of the cooling system except for the header tank. Possibly worth a look to see if water is getting around to the heater, and by the way, does the heater work? That may point to circulation problem..

boybonic
26-08-2007, 04:01 PM
thanks for your responses, problem is now sorted, seems it needed bleeding due to air lock:biglaugh:

Highermileage
28-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I have just read the thread.

On holiday, my pulley belt started to rattle on the alternator. I popped it into a garage and was advised the cambelt needed replacing. Whilst they were there, I asked them to replace the water pump.

All belts replaced and water pump - £997!

Was I shafted - did you pay a comparable sum?

chrisvrscrx
28-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I'd say so, I got quoted £160 just for cambelt I know all the other belts were done and the water pump but that sounds excessive.

adamss24
29-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I have just read the thread.

On holiday, my pulley belt started to rattle on the alternator. I popped it into a garage and was advised the cambelt needed replacing. Whilst they were there, I asked them to replace the water pump.

All belts replaced and water pump - £997!

Was I shafted - did you pay a comparable sum?
Was that a dealer ? Man, they do charge like one !!! If you are a bit handy with the spaners, i would say one weekend to do all the belts+ maintenance work on your motor, getting a decent set of spanners from Halfords, all for just a 1/4 of what you have payd. I reckon the camshaft locking pins/tools are a must but you could do with a felt pen (mark and pray !) kind of job. I have done quite a few timing belts and i am not a proffessional. Its not the belt thats difficult to replace, its getting at it that takes time, but you know its a well done job and you replace all thats needed by the book. Anyway, you had it done so its less to worry about. Happy motoring !

boybonic
29-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Sounds like you got shafted with no vaseline... i paid £450 for all belts with water pump replacement!