PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Steering Column

alexmac732
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
For the last few weeks I've had an annoying clicking/groaning coming from the steering wheel area when manoevring at lowish speeds - but this only happens after at least 15 mins driving.

Went to my local dealer and they said that the steering seems stiff and they suspect a faulty steering column - £390.

The steering has always been on the stiff side since I got the car 6 months ago. It's a B8 '08 and from other threads this seems normal - is this right?

Anyone any comments on whether it is worth replacing the steering column. I have a 3rd party warranty which expires in 6 months which hopefully will cover at least some of the cost if required....

Thanks

nancol
11-02-2013, 11:43 PM
I would not agree that the steering is or should be stiff. I have an occasional vibration up through the column when manoeuvring at very slow speeds in and out the drive or parking space. It was all checked out and no fault found apart from the suggestion that a few more revs when making manoeuvre may eliminate the issue.

Is your "groaning" likely to be a vibration/buzz/shudder?

alexmac732
12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
As I understand the earely B8s didn't have servotronic and so are heavier than the later ones.

No it's not a vibration/buzz/shudder. The click is quite quiet and feels more like a notch. No chance of adding more revs as it a mulitronic!

nancol
13-02-2013, 11:34 PM
When you say click, any thought it is associated with the indicator cancelling mechanism?

alexmac732
14-02-2013, 09:20 AM
no - it's not that sort of click.....