PDA

View Full Version : mk3 sunroof

wilmot
19-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi Everyone. Ive just bought a Mk3 golf TDI 1995 and the Sunroof is playing up... Let me explain... It works perfectly up and down and moves fully open and closed manually using the winding handle supplied, but not by pressing the button. Well it does start sliding back, but stops after an inch and a half thereafter pressing the button only moves it LESS than 1/4 inch. So by pressing the button about 50 times, the roof will electricially move back!!!!!!!! So does anyone know is the motor shot or is it a switch problem????? Please can anyone shed some light on this, because replacing the motor when it might be a quick fix, could be expensive and a pian in the ***. Thanks in advance for ANY advice given....... Noel (Liege Belgium) http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/confused.gif :1zhelp:

tot
13-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi

I have just joined Forum and for the reason you have posted thread! Did you resolve your issue? I heard from a dealer that the sunroofs were unreliable. Mine has stuck one side and cannot close. Youmention manually winding it in but i dont have the option to do this. nay ideas?!

wilmot
13-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi tot, No not fixed my sunroof yet but have looked on ebay and I can pick up a complete motor assy for approx £15, so no worries. Ref the winding handle, just take down the panel just in front of the sunroof and behind the light and you will find a winding handle clipped to the motor, remove it and look for a small little plastic cover on the bottom of the motor and turn it through 90Deg insert the handle and wind away. this will prove weather the sliding rails are shot or not and that the glass panel slides freely or not. Give all the mechanism a good spraying with WD40 but USE the little red pipe supplied or it will go everywhere,, Speak soon Noel
and good luck........:Blush:

tot
13-07-2006, 04:45 PM
thanks for that-just rushing out but will try it...looks like it may rain as well! But i have a photo job!
Will let u know how i get on...my fc Club are playing Bruges tonight! (from belgium) Chester si my club...lowly 2nd division..toto:Blush:

tot
14-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Wilmot

I did as you said and located the crank to unwind it but it becomes stuck and one side goes down, while the other doesn't. The whole roof does not fully ope either. It just goes to its 'up posiiton'. Is this a sign that the tracking is damaged?
Tony

danzo
23-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi Tot,

I have identical problem to you. Did you manage a fix?

I have a bad feeling I will have to replace the enire unit.

Chers
Danzo

PeBe20020
11-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Greetings Wilmot, I am a new member to this forum. Re your sunroof prob. If one side moves but the other does not, the fault is either the the steel strings or there plastic clips. Two solutions - 1) repair kit from VW for about £15 per side ( a !!!!!! of a job, do not bother ) or 2) replacement sun roof assembly( i'm on my 3rd in 5 months & its beginning to act up )
I wish there was a mechanical replacement with a winder handle but not found one yet.
The roof motor are also under powered with the pcb inside becomming loose on there fixings. Not the nicest job to repair. PeBe20020

tot
17-09-2007, 04:18 PM
It would seem that this is an inherent weakness of the car and not worth repairing.
I also run a 1987 Honda prelude and the roof works fine still! As do all things on the car, though it is prone to more rust. However although much older than the Goldf is far superior in terms of engineering..I know this is terrible to say on this forum!!

PeBe20020
17-09-2007, 04:29 PM
As well as sun roof probs on my 1993 MK 3 Golf, I am having to gradually replace all the electric window units, due to mechanical failure.
Does anybody have a problem with disc pad rattle on the fronts???