PDA

View Full Version : Toledo 2.0DSG probs

wallacebob
21-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi, I'm new, so hello!
Straight into a moan: I bought a 55 Toledo 2.0 PD DSG in Jan, 11k miles and good condition. I've done 20k more miles since then and generally like the car, loads of space and good mile cruncher. A bit on/off with the power, but the DSG in auto helps that.
BUT... I noticed a vibration which felt like wheel balance. Needed new tyres anyway so got that all done. Still vibration, so down to SEAT dealer for check up. They said wheel bearing worn, so will replace under warranty. Long story, (mechanic ill, wrong parts, not covered by warranty they thought, etc, etc) but three weeks later they managed to fix it FOC. Following week I got a call - come back in, the CV boot needs replacing. A bit annoyed as I was then in Aberdeen! Couldn't get back until three weeks, so they gave me assurances that it was a small problem, and not to worry. By this time vibration was back, but worse. I phoned them, not to worry they said.
So....today I took car in to get CV boot fitted, and joked that it would probably need a new CV joint or drive shaft this time. Phone call this afternoon, needs new Turbo!
Am I jinxed? Is this a lemon? The dealer is new to SEAT, but is large dealership with Vauxhall, etc franchises so I have to assume they know what they are doing. My Octavia was VERY reliable (120k no probs) and dealer first class. Should I have stayed with Skoda?
Bob.

a8 tech
21-08-2007, 10:00 PM
So was the turbo causing the vibration,was the vibration coming through the drivers side floor or was it more of a noise than a vibration.

wallacebob
21-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Vibration was what I would call "harmonic", seemed to come in and out related to road speed, appeared to come from wheel or drive shaft, on nearside, not engine. Noise was same when in neutral. Maybe cv boot flapping was cause? That may be reason it was intermittent.
Turbo maybe unrelated and totally new fault.
I'll be interested what dealer says tomorrow.

wallacebob
24-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Since last post; dealer tells me mechanic spotted oil leak at Turbo when he put it up on hoist to do CV boot. SEAT say not to drive the car, as failure will be very costly, they will fix under warranty. Bad news is that it looks like next week at earliest before they can get one, or 14th Sept was also mentioned. Don't ask why.
I asked about the vibration, but they seem a bit stumped. Could be anything they say, what about new tyres. I did point out that was the first thing i did. But they haven't even fitted the CV boot yet which was throwing grease and rubber bits around the wheel when i took it in.
I also pointed out that the Altea I have on loan makes a similar noise to mine before they replaced bearing; real "grumble" or "thrum" from left hand, esp when you are 30-40 on a quiet country road. It has different tyres, make and size. Speed related too, not engine revs. The car is a 2.0PD as well, but a manual not DSG. Very queer. They hadn't noticed it, but my wife noticed it straight away without me mentioning it.
Ho Hum.

wallacebob
04-10-2007, 11:33 PM
UPDATE
having lost all hope in the land of SEAT numpties, I went back to old trusted SKODA dealer for a service.
I mentioned noise from rear. They diagnosed wheel alignment. But new rear tyres were recommended as one was now illegal. I fitted new rear tyres and the noise disappeared! But went in for alignment check next day anyway. Comment on worksheet was " front alignment badly out of spec" and "rear camber badly out of spec". Both adjusted.
Car now handles well and is quiet! £58 cure that SEAT would not consider. :zx11:

Lesson learned!

scotty33
05-10-2007, 05:11 PM
send seat the bill?

wallacebob
05-10-2007, 05:19 PM
As my blood pressure drops, I am composing letter to SEAT. I don't expect much, but as the SKODA dealer says, they will learn that creating a good reputation for reliability and service pays off.
I at least would like them to realise that they must have good network of dealers who want to help the customer.
SKODA is the best example you can get - used to be laughed at, now they are, IMHO, excellent.