PDA

View Full Version : DSG and Stop/Start

Handydave
04-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Are the DSG models fitted with Stop/Start? If so, how does it work? In particular, what action makes the engine re-start?

sebtomato
04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Yes, they are. Releasing the brakes just restart the engine. Using the brakes for more than a few seconds stops the engine.

Handydave
04-02-2013, 07:53 AM
What happens if you're using auto hold- or is this disabled?

sebtomato
04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
With auto hold, brakes are applied and engine stops. When using the accelerator, the engine restarts first and then the brakes are released.

h5djr
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, they are. Releasing the brakes just restart the engine. Using the brakes for more than a few seconds stops the engine.

I have been using the Stop/Start and my 2012 A3 DSG for about nearly a year and I have found it is possible to choose whether to let the engine stop or not. Most of the time I'm quite happy for the engine to cut out when I stop, but sometimes, particularly when I stop at a junction I would rather it didn't. When stopping, if you release the brakes just before you stop, which I was taught to do to stop the car jerking when it does come to a stand still, and then apply very light pressure to the brake pedal, just enough to stop the car from creeping forward, the engine will not cut-out.

Some drivers don't like the Stop/Start but so far no one has come up with a way to switch it off permanently. The switch on the dash resets to ON whenever the ignition is turned off.